electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jack of all Trades or ONE TRICK PONY???
Page 1 of 7 [161 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Doni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Jack of all Trades or ONE TRICK PONY???
Subject description: Which one are you?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, my name is Doni, I'm chiming in here:

Evil or Very Mad

What is with all these one trick pony mo fo's trying to pump they shiz all over the web? It's painful to listen to the same track 4 times on somebodies myspace page.... it's sad, because I love to hear music.. especially obscure indie kind of stuff.... but man, you just get the feeling like alot of these fellers dont cash in on this...

For all those of you who are trying to push things forward, good on ya... in fact, I'd love it if you came here and let me know about your tunes... provided they sound different than every track I hear everyday

www.myspace.com/donimusicspace
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Doni

One thing though, we have a non-graphical-sig-policy on this forum, would you please extinguish your graphic?

Doni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ohh...

i cant show off my beautiful logo?

well.. if you say so

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doni wrote:
i cant show off my beautiful logo?

Nope, but people will click you link and see it and then there is this Munch like avatar of course which is beautiful Very Happy

Listened to one of your mixes this afternoon, something latin-american like, was a nice listen.

Doni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ohhh yea I love that one!! Brazilian music!! Its so awesome

Glad you liked it! you just made my day man... all i wanna do is spread my music around and make people happy, thats what its all about for me... thanks so much!

Doni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ohh no shit man your tracks are awesome too

thats what Im talking about, IT AINT THE SAME OLD THING!!!! nice!

Doni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

man i gotta smoke some and get back to these....

Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some interesting production stuff there.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doni wrote:
man i gotta smoke some and get back to these....

better / worse ? Laughing

thx !

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack of all Trades or ONE TRICK PONY???

welcome Doni.

Doni wrote:
What is with all these one trick pony mo fo's trying to pump they shiz all over the web? It's painful to listen to the same track 4 times on somebodies myspace page.... it's sad, because I love to hear music.. especially obscure indie kind of stuff.... but man, you just get the feeling like alot of these fellers dont cash in on this...

If you check out whats going on in this community, we encourage everyone to speak of other musicians only with respect. That's one of our core values. Even undefined groups musicians deserve respect.

Still, I know what you mean. I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and listen to their music in the most favorable way I can. If they are using some musical concept too much, it's certainly possible that they will move on at some point.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack of all Trades or ONE TRICK PONY???

mosc wrote:

Doni wrote:

If you check out whats going on in this community, we encourage everyone to speak of other musicians only with respect. That's one of our core values. Even undefined groups musicians deserve respect.

It just occured to me that if there is one place where "mo fo" would be a apropriate term in debating musical tendencies it's "one trick ponys". what some people get caught up in realy comes down to inbreeding in the creative process.

;¬)

Doni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mmmmm inbreeding.....

comon you all have that hot cousin, admit it!!!

Blue hell.... BETTER lol but you knew that hahah

respect... i suppose.... I always always give musicians the benefit of the doubt.... I wasnt talking about people who are trying to improve their productions or improve there creative edge... Im talking about imposters, fakers, copy cats... that sort of thing... and you know who you are!!!

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doni wrote:
... and you know who you are!!!

I'm not too sure what music is, it's about the search for music as well, circular as such. I know it, after a while, I think, and then my mind changes.

Some of my firm statements in the past were rituals for fear control maybe.

I think Howard is right in that respect is due for people who try, but me too I'm disappointed sometimes when I hear a nice five second intro that gets lost into just beats then.

Maybe I should do an "intro mix" Very Happy

Doni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

definitely!

Its about innovation... otherwise it's lifeless and has no purpose...

for me it's ok to borrow elements, at this point its gonig to be impossible to make something completely original... and we are also bound by what the human ear finds "good sounding" (for the most part, at least)

I guess its the best combination of taste, history, and innovation... so if you are going to do a deep house track... bring something new to it... dont just copy whats out there.. same goes for everything...

For example, Led Zepplin following the Beatles... after the beatles, there were a ton of copycats... Led Zepplin took the same elements that formed the classic rock group and added their own style to the mix...

hey lets face it, there isnt going to be anybody like Led Zeppelin ever again.. but we can at least strive... am I making sense? Let me here it if Im not... Embarassed

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doni wrote:
Led Zepplin

Which reminds me ... I read this article yesterday about about a Katrina movie ... when the levee breaks, Led Zeppelin did a beautiful version of that song, here it is with Katrina images :

Doni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was intense

was that led zeppelin song a cover? shame on me for not knowing... love that song... love that break at the start.. id love to sample it if it were not SACRILAGE to sample a group like Led..

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doni wrote:
was that led zeppelin song a cover?

I think that's what I read in the article .. the answer is in (and that's something for tomorrow) :

(edit: image of pile of papers got lost)

Last edited by blue hell on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found a reversed cover ... whole lotta love (zen for primates) ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXrjjN5ztvY

edit : this is brilliant Very Happy

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doni wrote:
was that led zeppelin song a cover?

Yup, it was : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Levee_Breaks , thought it would be harder to find Very Happy

dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surely we're all aware that the overwhelming majority of music produced in any era is complete crap. Just a few elements are new:

- We no longer have to be content with playing piano in the drawing room. Then, it might have been really bad, but the audience was the player and nobody else had to hear it. (I am completely in favor of people making bad music for their own enjoyment, as a creative outlet! Everybody needs to have some way to exercise creativity.) Now you can put your noodling up on youtube or myspace.

- The American Idol mentality. Just like some of those kids think they're going to be famous because people at their church like the way they sing... now you can throw together a couple of unoriginal breaks in your bedroom, get a couple of your school chums to say "that's pretty cool" and then you can fancy yourself taking the club world by storm. Even I went through that phase. Then I learned more about production and realized how bad my early trax sounded!

Of course, other cultures (like the Aka Pygmies in Central Africa) solve the problem by treating music as a collective, ritual effort rather than a solitary, self-aggrandizing one. Or rather, they don't "solve the problem" because they don't have the problem in the first place.

James

Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:

Of course, other cultures (like the Aka Pygmies in Central Africa) solve the problem by treating music as a collective, ritual effort rather than a solitary, self-aggrandizing one. Or rather, they don't "solve the problem" because they don't have the problem in the first place.

still, it wouldn't surprise me if there were "strong" and "weak" roles in their music, or more skilled/less skilled singers and some kudos attached to being "better".

when i visited my family in the Caribbean, it seemed like a social paradise for a couple of weeks, and then you saw the subtleties of subsistence fishing/hunting/gathering. some fisherman were considered better/more skilled but it took me a while to figure out why as they seemed to be catching the same amount of fish as everyone else. i realised after a while that they were considered better simply because they suggested fishing spots that everyone agreed yielded better catches for everyone.

aside from the unison child songs i've heard, the "walking music"* of the aka seems complicated enough to have roles of varying difficulty.

however, relative to England where the social diversity is enormous, they do at first appear to be very communal and humble but out of necessity i would imagine. i just looked them up on wiki (because i'd known them as Baka) and it turns out Aka is right when used in this context. i found out that the Aka are considered the best dads in the world in a 2005 survey!

*i think this is my own term... i saw a programme on them once and the most obviously complex of their music was sung whilst walking

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:

- We no longer have to be content with playing piano in the drawing room. Then, it might have been really bad, but the audience was the player and nobody else had to hear it. (I am completely in favor of people making bad music for their own enjoyment, as a creative outlet! Everybody needs to have some way to exercise creativity.) Now you can put your noodling up on youtube or myspace.

There are more differences.

Back when "pianos in drawing rooms" were the thing it was well undrestood how one played the piano, what was "quality playing" and which elements came from the piano and which elements came from the player.

When you copy/paste some breaks from a collection that came with a magazine and play the results to your classmates/parents it's not at all unlikely that the audience will believe all of it was made by you while in truth only the global structure and the mix might've been yours.

Modern media like Youtube/Myspace, etc, play a huge role in this phenomenon but I believe that they can only play this role because the understanding that the audience has of the instrument and hence playing is so limited.

That being said; I wonder how many people actually listen to random artists on Myspace. Clearly evreybody with a computer and a conection *can* broadcast his music in a way that everybody else with those requirements *could* hear it, but how many pleople actualy reach a larger audience that way then they would if they'd play on a inercity streetcorner once a month? A very small percentage, I suspect.

About this respect thing; I somewhat agree but I reserve the right to think most people are very *bad* musicians and most modern "composers" are engaged more in a sort of crude exhibition of collected materials then they are in composing original music. Clearly it's wonderfull if people are enjoying themselves but there exists the electronic equivalent of those people who will walk up to every piano in sight and hammer out a repetion of the theme to "für Elise". I may reluctantly respect that on some level but I can respect that just as well while walking to the door.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
dewdrop_world wrote:

still, it wouldn't surprise me if there were "strong" and "weak" roles in their music, or more skilled/less skilled singers and some kudos attached to being "better".

Very interesting points, both.

I imagine the same sort of thing happens that happens in marching songs of western soldiers (where there will often be one leading "calling" voice with a groups "answering") or western, Christian church music where everybody (is expected to) sing yet there is one organist and perhaps a seperate choir.

These situations (and I imagine the same holds true for the Aka?) offer a lot of space for those who want to participate but don't excell in the activity (because of tallent or priorities or whatever). In fact it seems to me that these social sitiations are often build to de-emphasise the individual tallents of most participants.

Modern "dance" music doesn't realy offer a equivalent to this. Either you are in the audience (with being a dancer as a sort of slight stage inbetween) or you are the sole performer (duo's excepted). DJ's more or less ocupy a place inbetween but they are a sort of degenerate case (in the mathematical sense of the word!) in that you only get one DJ for as many audience members as you would have for a live act and never at the same time. It's kinda interesting to note there that DJ's very, very rarely dance.

This is realy quite sad in that it more or less forces everybody who wants to participate into trying to demand the sole spotlight.

How, well, I have no solutions but it's a interesting problem :¬)

Doni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you guys just took it to a whole new deep level

I think that deep down inside, everybody who is making music and putting it out there wants to have that fame and fortune that they see successful musicians enjoying

and I guess alot of people would hear somebody who is 'popular' and would think that copying them would bring them that fame

but whatever, screw those people, they wont get anywhere with that anyways (most of the time, unless they are really cool and really hot they may have a shot at it) and lets be clear, im not dissing people who and working on their productions at all, I was making bunk mixes for a LONG TIME before they became 'good'

Im dissing the people who are one trick ponies... like they ONLY make house beats or they ONLY make jungle beats... it seems a little bit rediculous to be doing that

because then, whats the point of music? Is it to produce something that we KNOW a certain group will be into? Is that the point? to satisfy a market? that STINKS!!

I try my darndest to make songs that are about something, or have a feeling that they were inspired by or written about.. like for my first album (which im releasing soon... cool points!!) I wrote it as a chronology of a relationship gone bad, and the revelations that followed, with some pitstops in between.... and the song that didn't fit into the overall scheme of the album, those were made into B-sides by default

maybe im rambling here, but there are too many artists out there who are singing and playing to a market rather than creating something cool

what about artists who make music that sounds good, is original, and that people like? its easy enough for a producer or musician to crap out a song once they get to a certain point, and by no means am I insinuating that all my tracks are absolute gems, but Ive put some raw emotion into my mixes, something that seems to be more and more lacking

the rambling must stop!!! what do you guys think?

Doni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there we go.... it was a cover...

quite a difference in that version to the Led Zeppelin version... is there another rant about bands who do lame covers of songs that are more like "re-recordings" than covers?.... maybe I'll spare y'all on that one Cool

Page 1 of 7 [161 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: