electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Questions about attenuators and mixers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Questions about attenuators and mixers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howdy y'all, I'm about to do a panel for my MFOS, VC LPF and VC State Variable filters and I wanted to know alittle more about attenuators and mixers. I thought about putting some passive attenuators on the panels. Are these acceptable for both audio and CV? Or do I need a DC mixer like this http://musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/dcmixer.html for CV's? I have a Ray's "cool new LFO" and it suggests using the DC mixer as a companion to control the CV levels.

I know it's all personal preference, but I'd like to hear if people prefer attenuators on the panels or as a seperate module. What are the pro's cons of using attenuators or mixers. What exactly is a inverted or non inverted output (example would help) Thanks. I'm still very much an infant at the modular synthesis game. Advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Wild Zebra on Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
a.b.o.z.

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you always have very good questions.
like you're reading my mind sometime.
i'm new to modular game myself also so im waiting for answer too.
cheers.
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi.

I guess it depends a lot on panel form factor, and available space per module. If you have room, then input attenuators and CV attenuators/mixers make life easier/quicker for setting up a patch. All the stuff you usually use with that module all on the front panel.

OTOH, if you're not using that module in a patch, then unless you have included separate INs and OUTs for each attenuator or mixer, then they can't be used for anything else. There's also a cost issue there - the unused pots/jacks are effectively wasted.

I've gone for a compact Eurorack format, where space is at a premium, so attenuators/mixers are in separate modules, which can be patched in where needed. Of course there's nothing to stop you from doing some normalising between these and your favourite modules, using maybe 0.1" pin headers and jumper cables connected to the switching contacts of the module jacks. That would cut down the front panel spaghetti a bit.
Hmmm, might try that actually.....

On a couple of modules, I added in a single attenuator with it's own (normalled) in and outputs just to complete the front panel space, if the control set didn't fill it up.
The CGS65 tube VCA will do this when I've finished it - with a feedback loop that can be used as an attenuator for something else, when not feedbacking.

BTW, the CGS04 is ideal for adding audio and CV mixers, being tiny, but flexible.

Someone cleverer than me will have to explain the inverting stuff - I must get back to testing a new module Smile

cheers,

Dave
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, for your opinion. I look forward to hearing more.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave Kendall wrote:
Of course there's nothing to stop you from doing some normalising between these and your favourite modules, using maybe 0.1" pin headers and jumper cables connected to the switching contacts of the module jacks. That would cut down the front panel spaghetti a bit.
On a couple of modules, I added in a single attenuator with it's own (normalled) in and outputs just to complete the front panel space, if the control set didn't fill it up.

i am with dave here. if i would start again i'd done it that way. normalling signals is a great advantage of phono vs banana (no, i don't want to start a new discussion about that here again).

concerning the inverted output:
imagine a triangle output of an LFO centered around zero. the normal output would probably start at zero going to it's maximum, then going down to it's minimum and then going up to zero again. the inverted output would start at zero going to minimum, then going up to it's maximum, then going down to zero again.
a only positive going pulse or gate signal would be negative when inverted.

the inverting thing could be combined with attenuation. take a look at my voltage processor for instance:
http://www.modular.fonik.de/Page15.html

Serenadi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zebra,

I place as much attenuators into a module as I get on the faceplate.
I *hate* patching furthermore modules like mixers or separate attenuators if I only want one more input.

Of course, its a pricing factor, but compared with the full price of an extra module ...

Adding a furthermore input requires only a jack, a pot and a resistor, connected to the summing node of the input mixer, which is mostly present, anyway.

Most CV-inputs I construct as bipolar inputs, with inverted input at the counterclockwise side of the pot, zero at twelve o'clock, non-inverted signal at the clockwise side.
So I save extra inverting modules.

Internal prepatching I do only with signals like keyboard-CV or gate, or within a module, e.g. an S&H module with built in LFO (for triggering the S&H) where the LFO is prepatched to the trigger jack.
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks y'all. There's one question that kinda didn't get answered or maybe I didn't really ask. Is a passive attenuator i.e. a pot in the c.v. or audio path acceptable for both CV and audio? I mean I figure it would be, but just wanna know. There are so many different possiblities it's a little confusing. Like, what's the deal with the DC mixer I linked? Well I appreciate your thoughts so far you've helped set me on the path. Hmmm now what will I choose.....
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
Thanks y'all. There's one question that kinda didn't get answered or maybe I didn't really ask. Is a passive attenuator i.e. a pot in the c.v. or audio path acceptable for both CV and audio? I mean I figure it would be, but just wanna know. There are so many different possiblities it's a little confusing. Like, what's the deal with the DC mixer I linked? Well I appreciate your thoughts so far you've helped set me on the path. Hmmm now what will I choose.....

A passive device (attenuator) is usually acceptable, but understand the issue of DC offset in your AC signal. A passive attenuator will not be able to remove or offset any DC. And DC offset can definitely change the waveforms you are mixing, although you may want to do that on purpose.

The nice thing about that CGS mixer is that it has DC offsets. Also he built it with unity gain, and with inverting inputs too. I think I might build that one, it's basically just what I was looking for.

Home,My Studio,and another view
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
A passive device (attenuator) is usually acceptable, but understand the issue of DC offset in your AC signal. A passive attenuator will not be able to remove or offset any DC. And DC offset can definitely change the waveforms you are mixing, although you may want to do that on purpose.

so just add a switch and a cap to the pots wiper. thus you can select AC coupling:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
EdisonRex wrote:

so just add a switch and a cap to the pots wiper. thus you can select AC coupling:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Of course. I wasn't thinking of using a switch to a coupling cap. It doesn't give you true bias offset though.

fonik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sure, but nevertheless it would be handy. i thought of building a mixer with these switches to mix AC and DC signals to i.e. modulate a VCO. does that make sense?
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, that makes sense. It's the DC mixing that interests me anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: