electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music
 
    Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Solina or Onmi ensemble board?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: Scott Stites
Page 6 of 16 [394 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next

If I'd make a string chorus PCB, what kind of multi-BBD circuit would you prefer?
Solina style (also: Crumar Performer, Böhm Phasing Rotor, and others)
62%
 62%  [ 28 ]
ARP Omni style
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Elka Synthex 4 BBD circuit
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
other (please name in thread)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
I would want neither - it's old fashioned and overused, and if I need it, there are digital FX boxes
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 45

Author Message
kokoon



Joined: Jan 09, 2006
Posts: 158
Location: slovenia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mine were shipped from vintageplanet.nl yesterday. apparently he's out of them too now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
softfin



Joined: Oct 11, 2006
Posts: 264
Location: Far in the north
Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kokoon wrote:
mine were shipped from vintageplanet.nl yesterday. apparently he's out of them too now.


True. I ordered from them too and they had three pieces left after my order on thursday. Those three are probably sold by now as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Usine Karate



Joined: Jun 09, 2007
Posts: 64
Location: Hackney Wick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, just looking for 18v AC transformers to power this and can only find this from Banzai, is this going to work?

their code number is : EH 18V AC UK, 1000mA , on this page :
http://banzaieffects.com/18V-Power-Supplies-c-938.html

Looks okay to me, but that is based on my limited knowledge, and I don't really like dealing with the mains, I tend to plug stuff into my modular supply (12v) but I'd quite like to make this a seperate unit, any advice would be most appreciated!


thanks

Usine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jhaible



Joined: May 25, 2007
Posts: 2014
Location: Germany
Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Usine Karate wrote:
Hi all, just looking for 18v AC transformers to power this and can only find this from Banzai, is this going to work?

their code number is : EH 18V AC UK, 1000mA , on this page :
http://banzaieffects.com/18V-Power-Supplies-c-938.html

Looks okay to me, but that is based on my limited knowledge, and I don't really like dealing with the mains, I tend to plug stuff into my modular supply (12v) but I'd quite like to make this a seperate unit, any advice would be most appreciated!


thanks

Usine


18V AC looks right.
It's quite oversized, with its 1000mA, though.
So you must make sure that with the light loading of the Solina, the output voltage doesn't get too high.
Check if the LM337 gets too hot, and add a heat sink (insulated!) if necessary.

JH.

_________________
"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Usine Karate



Joined: Jun 09, 2007
Posts: 64
Location: Hackney Wick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks JH!

would it be better if I used one to power the Tau Pipe, the Solina and the Compact all together, thereby spreading the load a bit? I suppose they would all draw a little bit of the current reducing the amount going in to the boards?

If anyone could enlighten me further I would be most thankful, I'll do some research myself of course and attempt to learn something. Wink



Usine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jhaible



Joined: May 25, 2007
Posts: 2014
Location: Germany
Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Usine Karate wrote:
Thanks JH!

would it be better if I used one to power the Tau Pipe, the Solina and the Compact all together, thereby spreading the load a bit? I suppose they would all draw a little bit of the current reducing the amount going in to the boards?

If anyone could enlighten me further I would be most thankful, I'll do some research myself of course and attempt to learn something. Wink

Usine


I wouldn't recommend that. Ground loops and all.
If you want to use them all together, better buy a decent +/-15V DC stabilized Power supply, omit the PSU components on my boards, and power it from the DC supply.

But I didn't say that 18V AC wallwart doesn't fit; I just said you have to be carefull to handle the excess voltage and excess heat.

I've tested my own Tau with a 14V AC (nominal) / 7 Watt wallwart, which - to my astonishment - had enough voltage for the Tau to work. I wouldn't recommend that, though.

JH.

_________________
"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jgrisso



Joined: Oct 22, 2007
Posts: 2
Location: Salt Lake, UT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Group Buy! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Gang,

Sorry it took so long for me to get here, the weekend was busy. I'm organizing a group buy of TDA1022s, and have a large number of folks wanting these already. Currently, I'm working with a component headhunter to secure between 200 and 300 pieces.

I don't have pricing or availability yet, but if you want me to keep you posted on the progress of this order, email me at jgrisso at det3 dot net

Tschau!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jhaible



Joined: May 25, 2007
Posts: 2014
Location: Germany
Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Group Buy! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jgrisso wrote:
I'm working with a component headhunter to secure between 200 and 300 pieces.


wow!

JH.

_________________
"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
vtl5c3



Joined: Sep 08, 2006
Posts: 423
Location: PDX
Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Group Buy! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If that works out, I would love to order a board. I hope the ordering can wait until we get confirmation that the TDAs will be available for sure.

jgrisso wrote:
Hi Gang,

Sorry it took so long for me to get here, the weekend was busy. I'm organizing a group buy of TDA1022s, and have a large number of folks wanting these already. Currently, I'm working with a component headhunter to secure between 200 and 300 pieces.

I don't have pricing or availability yet, but if you want me to keep you posted on the progress of this order, email me at jgrisso at det3 dot net

Tschau!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jgrisso



Joined: Oct 22, 2007
Posts: 2
Location: Salt Lake, UT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Group Buy! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
jgrisso wrote:
I'm working with a component headhunter to secure between 200 and 300 pieces.


wow!

JH.


Hold your enthusiasm until the order gets closed out. I'm still working with the supplier on cost and which parts to snatch. It's no good working on this if we get a box of parts that aren't qualified and are going to show up as duds.

The scary part is that the 200 pieces will satisfy anyone who has e-mailed me so far, but not much more than that. If there's much more interest I could see this order getting a mite bigger. Smile

You designed quite the board there, Herr Haible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jhaible



Joined: May 25, 2007
Posts: 2014
Location: Germany
Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Group Buy! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jgrisso wrote:
jhaible wrote:
jgrisso wrote:
I'm working with a component headhunter to secure between 200 and 300 pieces.


wow!

JH.


Hold your enthusiasm until the order gets closed out. I'm still working with the supplier on cost and which parts to snatch. It's no good working on this if we get a box of parts that aren't qualified and are going to show up as duds.

The scary part is that the 200 pieces will satisfy anyone who has e-mailed me so far, but not much more than that. If there's much more interest I could see this order getting a mite bigger. Smile

You designed quite the board there, Herr Haible.


Yeah, it's scary that the number of boards could be limited by the number of available chips, when I intentionally chose a BBD I thought was not one of the rare ones.

JH.

_________________
"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Don Solaris



Joined: Oct 23, 2007
Posts: 12
Location: Jupiter8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, first i'm getting 6 BBD's, then, once i have them here, right next to me, i'm ordering two ensemble boards for some true stereo goodness.




@jhaible: One question. In that first demo - which filter setting on the ensemble board did you used - the 16kHz or the 12kHz? Is there external switch option provided so that i can select between the original (12 kHz) vs high bandwidth (16 kHz) sound color?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keithwin



Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Posts: 83
Location: uk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found them here too but expensive:

www.mark5.com

They also have my E101 FETs for my mini - YAY!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jhaible



Joined: May 25, 2007
Posts: 2014
Location: Germany
Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don Solaris wrote:

@jhaible: One question. In that first demo - which filter setting on the ensemble board did you used - the 16kHz or the 12kHz? Is there external switch option provided so that i can select between the original (12 kHz) vs high bandwidth (16 kHz) sound color?


The switch offers 3 options: 16 kHz, 12 kHz, and Crumar EQ.

I don't remember in which position I've made that demo. (If you'd have seen me under what conditions I've made it, you'd understand. Laughing )
But there's not much difference between 12k and 16k, when th einput signal isn't overly bright to start with.

JH.

_________________
"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jhaible



Joined: May 25, 2007
Posts: 2014
Location: Germany
Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apparently there are TDA1022's available in Argentina.
I just forward this from synth-diy; haven't checked it myself.

JH.

==============================================

I bought lots of parts at Dicomse in the past (obsolete now and back then)
but personally from their shop, never by mail.
In a spark of curiosity I called them and they said the 1022 are in stock
at 8 USD each and they send them worldwide.
The shop is in Buenos Aires.

http://www.dicomse.com.ar

There is a decade that I don't buy something from them, and of course
I have no affiliation with them. Just take this as a public service.

Fabio
.
==============================================

_________________
"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Luka



Joined: Jun 29, 2007
Posts: 1002
Location: Melb.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i thought i sent this link to joe

i found a supplier with a truck load of them 12000+ in fact

http://www.4starelectronics.com

looks like its a group buy option only. minimum 300$US order

_________________
problemchild
melbourne australia
http://cycleofproblems.blogspot.com/
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kokoon



Joined: Jan 09, 2006
Posts: 158
Location: slovenia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luka wrote:
i thought i sent this link to joe

i found a supplier with a truck load of them 12000+ in fact

http://www.4starelectronics.com

looks like its a group buy option only. minimum 300$US order

woah! did you check with them if that's true? cause if it is, then JH can order a second run of the boards AND start working on his next BBD project Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Luka



Joined: Jun 29, 2007
Posts: 1002
Location: Melb.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

didnt confirm with them but here is a screenshot
im not in a position to run a group buy, i was hoping that this would just be fuel for someone to initiate one


Picture 1.png
 Description:
tda1022 stock from http://www.4starelectronics.com
 Filesize:  66.42 KB
 Viewed:  4774 Time(s)

Picture 1.png



_________________
problemchild
melbourne australia
http://cycleofproblems.blogspot.com/
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Don Solaris



Joined: Oct 23, 2007
Posts: 12
Location: Jupiter8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Group Buy! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BBD's solved. Cool
Last edited by Don Solaris on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Don Solaris



Joined: Oct 23, 2007
Posts: 12
Location: Jupiter8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
The switch offers 3 options: 16 kHz, 12 kHz, and Crumar EQ.

Thanks!

Ok, one more question. Is there a trimmer inside that lets me change the speed of modulation; and a trimmer to set the depth of modulation. Or, are those parameters permanently set?

(i talk about small adjustments, for example: Solina that my friend owns has a little bit slower ensemble speed)

Would it be possible to control these two above parameters using external potentiometers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave Kendall



Joined: May 26, 2007
Posts: 415
Location: England
Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi.

For Eastpondians who don't want to wait for a group buy, I just received some TDA1022s from Cricklewood electronics in the UK . The bloke I spoke to said that "they'd got loads of them......"
£5 each + £2.50 delivery + VAT. Not particluarly cheap, but very fast delivery - ordered 17.30 PM , arrived just before 1 PM next day Smile

cheers,
Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jhaible



Joined: May 25, 2007
Posts: 2014
Location: Germany
Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Don Solaris"]
jhaible wrote:

Ok, one more question. Is there a trimmer inside that lets me change the speed of modulation; and a trimmer to set the depth of modulation. Or, are those parameters permanently set?
(i talk about small adjustments, for example: Solina that my friend owns has a little bit slower ensemble speed)
Would it be possible to control these two above parameters using external potentiometers?


Yes, there are potentiometers for fine adjustment of the slow and the fast LFO rate. These are 1MegOhm trimmers.

The Shape trimmer is 10k.

All three can be brought out to the front panel, as 1M lin and 10k lin potentiometers.

JH.

_________________
"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mono-poly



Joined: Jul 07, 2004
Posts: 935
Location: Rotterdam, Netherlands
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
Apparently there are TDA1022's available in Argentina.
I just forward this from synth-diy; haven't checked it myself.

JH.

==============================================

I bought lots of parts at Dicomse in the past (obsolete now and back then)
but personally from their shop, never by mail.
In a spark of curiosity I called them and they said the 1022 are in stock
at 8 USD each and they send them worldwide.
The shop is in Buenos Aires.

http://www.dicomse.com.ar

There is a decade that I don't buy something from them, and of course
I have no affiliation with them. Just take this as a public service.

Fabio
.
==============================================


I bought 15 pcs there.
Gyeah!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keithwin



Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Posts: 83
Location: uk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got my TDAs from smallbear today! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germaniac



Joined: Aug 04, 2006
Posts: 200
Location: California
Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don Solaris wrote:
. . . i'm ordering two ensemble boards for some true stereo goodness.

So the stock Solina is not a stereo output device? Would it be possible to create non-inverted+dry, inverted+dry pseudo-stereo outputs with the Solina? If this is not possible with the existing PCB (I assume it's no longer in the drawing-board stage now) could it be modded afterwards? Anyone try this or have any idea whether it would be worthwhile?

Regards,
Joe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: Scott Stites
Page 6 of 16 [394 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
e-m mkii

Please support our site. If you click through and buy from
our affiliate partners, we earn a small commission.


Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Copyright © 2003 through 2009 by electro-music.com - Conditions Of Use