electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Genoqs Octopus
Page 1 of 4 [83 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Dayflight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Genoqs Octopus
Subject description: Genoqs Octopus
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
i have placed 8 Basic Demonstration videos on youtube.com. Search for "Genoqs". arrow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JISVw7xiR5w

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
[editor's note: added photo --mosc]

Last edited by Dayflight on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Dieter Very Happy

Will check the videos later.

Dayflight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject:  Genoqs Octopus
Subject description: Midi Sequencer

Hi Jan,
I hope you like the videos. Have Fun!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Dieter. welcome

Glad you finally got to register. Sorry for the software problems. I'm still working on lots of bugs.

Anyhow, great to see your videos. It brings back fond memories of your jamming and performing at Chateau Sonore.

I split this off to a new topic just for the Octopus.

BTW, this is an amazingly cool sequencer. It looks a bit like the Noteron, but it's completely different. It's very powerful as can be seen from the videos that Dieter has made.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dayflight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject:  Genoqs Octopus

Hi Howard,
thank you for the warm Wellcome and the Octopus split.
I keep it running because this machine is like a "music drug".

Cheers
Dieter Wink
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dieter, I know you aren't a member of the Genoqs company, but if you and some of the other Octopus users feel it would be valuable, I'll be glad to set up a special Octopus sub-forum. You guys could share patches (if that's the word), share ideas, answer new or perspective users' questions, etc. As you can see, we have quite a few sub-forums similar to this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow! mesmerising!!

I want one!!! Shocked

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
wow! mesmerising!!

I want one!!! Shocked

I knew you would say that! Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
wow! mesmerising!!

I want one!!! Shocked

Yeah, but to be honest, who wouldn't say that?? Shocked Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dieter
welcome to electro-music.com

Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How much? (gulp!)
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
How much? (gulp!)

at Chateau Sonore, Gabriel Seher talked about 2400 euro, if I recall correctly. see here.

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
wow! mesmerising!!

I want one!!! Shocked

Well.. I don´t want it. Like.. I´m not sure what I would need it for. No doubt that it must be great and all that though.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dayflight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject:  Genoqs Octopus
Subject description: Midi Sequence

Yes €2.400 is a lot but a good hardware synth is near the same. With the Octopus you can control/drive your studio (and in live situation) much more flexible than with a computer mouse ever. And the handling and interface of this machine is fantasic. The functionality is ahaed of all hardware sequencer
(Zeit, Schrittmacher, P3, Notron, MAQ 16 ,...).
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

It is a very beautiful machine, but ... I'm more a noodle kind of person Very Happy

Good videos I think !

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Well.. I don´t want it. Like.. I´m not sure what I would need it for. No doubt that it must be great and all that though.

Shocked

But it's one of those things like tabletop Space Invaders- a great conversation piece- and you can't fault that it looks great in the dark Cool

The problem with the youtube vids is that Dieter (I'm presuming that's Dieter?) makes programming look like child's play, but later on there is another really tedious video of some dude just pressing (what looks like) thousands of combinations of buttons only to end up with a really bog-standard rave-like sound. There are parallels here to be drawn with software- where the actual programmers of these machines will excel with them, but people who just want a quick return will struggle, then look elsewhere.

As a tool for dance music (and repetitive Tadream sort of stuff) , I think the Octopus is a real winner, but for more organic linear sounding things it's not really made for that I think? But to be honest, since I've bought a computer, I've made far less music than I did when I had made-for-purpose equipment (and no computer!).

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
... I'm more a noodle kind of person Very Happy

There you go.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should add Stein that I am a moderate fan of 'dance music' btw, having been involved with the Acid House and Ambient House 'scene' since it began and worked with, and 'hanged out' with some very cool people in those circles over the last 20 years or so. But my roots aren't necessarily there and only there- like a lot of others.

2400 euros is way too much money for me though Crying or Very sad

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
...since I've bought a computer, I've made far less music than I did when I had made-for-purpose equipment (and no computer!).

I've made music with computers for the last 20 years. the only other thing I need, to make it, is a piano keyboard or, maybe a generalized keyboard.

Very Happy

Quote:
Dayflight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Ambient Music Project in NRW
Subject description: Ambient

Hi,
also visit www.ambientcircle.de. This is our ambient session project.
Here I use the Octopus with a Virus Polar and V-Synth.

Cheers Dieter
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clearly the Octopus is good, but since I really don´t know how it works and what makes it special I simply don´t feel the must have urge.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When or what to buy is always personal ans situation bound. Money is also an argument, for sure...

Anyway, to what kind of musician is the Octopus developed to?
First of all somebody who needs a StepSequencer.
Secondly somebody who wants to change the patterns on the fly
Third somebody who likes to show of, like being on stage.

At Chateau Sonore the Octopus was prominent in the picture (I believe there were three of them?) I also believe most musicians overthere were not the musician described above.

Although, somebody like Andreas could handle such a machine on stage: he has the body language, which together with a Octopus will make a perfect performance. Ten time better then a lap-top...

Wout

BTW I'm in favor of an Octopus forum.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But I must point out that when I saw TD on their 'white eagle' tour (1981? Shocked ) there was this box of leds that everyone who saw the gig commented on. The Octopus is very very similar- but I doubt if anyone would really get anything out of showing it off live because it's at the wrong angle. I suppose you could put it upright (which would look really stupid imo). The visual feedback is second to none- like looking at Logic- but more physical.

It's a great looking machine. And again, I second the notion that I still would love one- or at least have a go, but for the price I could get a brand new Nord G2, and I know what would come first! Very Happy

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dieter is not a developer. He's an owner. He explained the interface in detail to many of us. I couldn't explain it, but I can see that it is very logical and consistent and it would be a lot easier to learn than it first seems.

Dieter showed that is is suitable as a controller for ambient music, not just beat oriented stuff. It's quite flexible. It can do poly rhythms as well, but I think that if you were really into that, you'd want two or more. Smile

One of my main gripes about sequencer music is that people tend to start em up and just let them run. While you could do that with the Octopus, all those buttons and multi-colored LEDs beckon you to touch and interact. I noticed that Dieter was always interacting with the sequences - very hands on - always tending to change and evolve music.

This is a step-sequencer, not a complete general musical interface. I don't think Dieter or Andreas (the co-developer) ever insinuated that this was a replacement for anything else, like a piano keyboard.

Andreas explained that this project was virtually an obsession to make what he considered to be the ideal step sequencer. To conceive, design, and manufacture such a beautiful and complex device is a significant accomplishment. It is built with much the same passion and enthusiasm as any electro-music DIY project.

It is spectacularly beautiful and I think it will be a classic.

Hey, I guess that's a mini review... Shocked

Dayflight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:  Genoqs Octopus

Hi,
Yes the Octopus is a musical instrument with can be used as a central control system for music production playing hard- & software synthies with 9 pages with each 10 x 16 Step Tracks. In total 90 Tracks at the same time or in a structure like a song structure (Intro,.....,Bridge, Theme, ...., Outro). In this case you can use it as a master or slave device. But nevertheless you can play in parallel synthi or Piano Tracks on your Keyboards. All in midi sync or unsynced. The Page Matrix has 16 of this 9 parallel pages. This is much more than you need for a whole night performance ever. In the Tracks and pages you can set a mass of modulations and you can use your midi CC´s. Real time recording is easy possible. If you play rhythm sequences or long evolving pad´s 64 steps long, its up to the user.

On the other side you can use it only to control some Sythies/drum machines via 32 Midi chanels a one part of a complexer music setup with keyboard, Computers and Guitar. There is no restrictions in flexibilities.

You must know if you need such a device. I have long experience with Computers and mouse music and with Abelton Live. I got the feeling being a sample CD slave (with always good results after bouncing). It is too easy and I lost my motivation. With the Octopus as the master and Hardware and a Computer as a slave now it this more creative to develop music. No other hardware sequencer on the market has such a hap tic and touchable interface and that is what I was looking for.

I´m only a simple user and I am not the developer of the Octopus (this is Gabriel Seher and Marcel Achim) but in this case I like to tell people about this device which convinced me from the beginning.
Page 1 of 4 [83 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: