electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Schulte Compact A Phasing
Page 3 of 27 [660 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Any thoughts?

Way too complicated, IMO.
When you've seen the adhesive tape mothod, you won't look back, I promise.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are the Perkin Elmer A906011 and A906012 easy to get in the US ?

(I don't say these will work - I just want to know before I buy samples here in Germany.)

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Any thoughts?

Way too complicated, IMO.
When you've seen the adhesive tape mothod, you won't look back, I promise.

Laughing

excellent! (I was just showing off my Solidworks skills anyway Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing )

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just checked at Allied. They don't have them. They're one of the better places to get Perkin Elmer components in the US. Maybe you could do a catalog search on their site for "perkinelmer" to see what comes up. http://www.alliedelec.com
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
I just checked at Allied. They don't have them. They're one of the better places to get Perkin Elmer components in the US. Maybe you could do a catalog search on their site for "perkinelmer" to see what comes up. http://www.alliedelec.com

I just checked the perkinelmer site and couldn't even find them _there_. Shocked

Have I mixed up manufacturers?! No - I checked again at Reichelt: Clearly a Perkinelmer data sheet.

Confused

JH.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm- do they look like this;?

LDR.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.24 KB
 Viewed:  48214 Time(s)

LDR.png

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://doc.chipfind.ru/perkinelmer/a906011.htm
moosapotamus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are some pics that were posted at diystompboxes a while ago...
FRONT
TRANSPARENT
BACK
... it doesn't look like they bothered with tape or any covering at all for the bulb/LDRs in the original unit.

~ Charlie

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh look at those gorgeous knobs!

Thanks for posting this!

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

OMG!.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  32 KB
 Viewed:  48163 Time(s)

OMG!.png

moosapotamus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, looking at that cropped pic of the opto set-up and seeing that yellow tape around the bulb, I recall reading somewhere that the original actually had tape wrapped not around the LDRs, but just around the bulb, only. That's sort of how it looks in the pic, too. Maybe that's to diffuse and even out the light that hits the LDRs? Or, maybe it's because the wavelength that the LDRs were most sensitive to was in the yellow range, hence, the yellow tape around the bulb... maybe??

~ Charlie

jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

moosapotamus wrote:
Actually, looking at that cropped pic of the opto set-up and seeing that yellow tape around the bulb, I recall reading somewhere that the original actually had tape wrapped not around the LDRs, but just around the bulb, only. That's sort of how it looks in the pic, too. Maybe that's to diffuse and even out the light that hits the LDRs? Or, maybe it's because the wavelength that the LDRs were most sensitive to was in the yellow range, hence, the yellow tape around the bulb... maybe??

~ Charlie

Maybe it's a way to "trim" the sweep range?

In the schemos, there's a trimpot, _and_ a hint on selecting capacitors.
That means the trimpot alone probably isn't enough, and the tape around the bulb _may_ be a way to shift the pole frequencies down, if you got LDR specimens on the low end of their resistance tolerance?

Who knows ...

But I think I'll manage to (re)design something you all can build and get into the "right" range. Nict to see that with this tape around the buld there obviously is another parameter that can - in emergency case - be used to adjust this thing. Laughing

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

moosapotamus wrote:
FRONT
TRANSPARENT
BACK
... it doesn't look like they bothered with tape or any covering at all for the bulb/LDRs in the original unit.

~ Charlie

Thanks for the links! Nice pictures.

See how they managed to put jacks and pots onto one single pcb - and why the enclosure is shaped as it is!

In my Compct Clone I had Alps pcb mount pots , but mounted on the solder side of the board, board mounted in an ordinary enclosure bottom side up, so all the other components would point down, inside the enclosure.

This needs re-rating of the heat dispensing components, though!

I don't think it's important for DIY that the pots are on the board. Everyone can solder a few wires to a front panel. It's only 4 pots, after all.

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
http://doc.chipfind.ru/perkinelmer/a906011.htm

Does this mean they are obsolte by now ?!

JH.

frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Hmm- do they look like this;?

So that would be for the worlds fastest phaser Question Wink
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

moosapotamus wrote:
FRONT
TRANSPARENT
BACK

~ Charlie

BTW, this looks like a different revision than the schemos you can find everywhere:

Schemos show 2 separate bridge rectifiers, combined with 2 positive regulators. Pictures seem to have one bridge plus an integrated tracking regulator (?) with transistors to boost it (?). And not as many heat sinks.

Just a first impression - haven't traced the traces.

JH.

moosapotamus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you're right! Also, looks like an extra quad opamp package just below the transformer. And, I don't see nearly as many diodes as there are in the schematic.

~ Charlie

jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

moosapotamus wrote:
And, I don't see nearly as many diodes as there are in the schematic.
~ Charlie

... which kindles some hope that maybe, maybe it would be possible to get this running at +/-15V. With a complete redesign of the CV driver circuit and the oscillator section. Would be some hard work to make the waveforms _exactly_ the same., under all circumstances.

We'll see ...

JH.

23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi JH. Could you post a sample of your compact clone? I think the sample you have earlier was going through some other effects? I would love to hear a clean sample of a nice pad going through it. I love phasers. Its my favorite sound effect.

thanks
pete

jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update

My version will run from +/-15V !

Going thru my old documents, I noticed that I've also taken some precautions that will allow the use of slightly different LDRs.

JH.

Now playing: Vangelis, Apokalypse des Animeaux

jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

23isgood wrote:
Hi JH. Could you post a sample of your compact clone? I think the sample you have earlier was going through some other effects? I would love to hear a clean sample of a nice pad going through it. I love phasers. Its my favorite sound effect.

thanks
pete

I'll see if I find the time.
Maybe makes more sense when I have the new Clone, rather than making samples from the old one ...

Meanwhile, you may listen to this:

http://jhaible.heim.at/mp3/jh_sec_1.mp3

http://jhaible.heim.at/mp3/jh_sec_2.mp3

http://jhaible.heim.at/mp3/jh_sec_3.mp3

Ok, I know there are many layers of sound here. But there's these OB-8 arpeggiator notes that run throughout all three mp3's, which are processed in stereo with the Compact Clone, creating some really deep resonance.

JH.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

Now playing: Vangelis, Apokalypse des Animeaux

Cool

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

Meanwhile, you may listen to this:

WOAH!!!!!!

These sound fucking fantastic!!!!!!!

OH MAN!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes!! it's thee Krautrock phaser without any doubt at all! Cool Cool Cool
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sounds like the real thing! Yes!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 3 of 27 [660 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: