electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Schulte Compact A Phasing
Page 24 of 27 [660 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 Next
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would that not blow the fuse?
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JoeMorris wrote:
Would that not blow the fuse?

Not necessarily.
Fuses are mainly in there to minimize the risk of a circuit literally going up in flames - there is no guarantee that they are fast enough to protect a semiconductor.

But we're talking in general here - I don't say you have blown up anything - how could I know from a distance?
You will only find out bydoing the usual test routine: check supply voltages at every IC, then trace signal from input of the circuit to outputs thru every stage.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I'm really sorry I must come across like a total pain with all these questions!
I'd like to reiterate I'm certainly not expecting you to fix it for me I guess I'm just hoping for some ideas when I throw this out there.
I've got my multimeter back but there seems to be no power to any of the chips.....
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JoeMorris wrote:

I've got my multimeter back but there seems to be no power to any of the chips.....

Ok, then you should check the path of the AC (transformer secondary winding(s) ) into the circuit: fuses, rectifiers, voltage regulators.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Strangely enough, though the fuse didnt look blown, replacing it seemed to do the trick. Bizarre. This phaser also sounds great JH, thanks for four amazing projects so far.
Only one little niggle, though it's not a catastrophe: no sound comes through in bypass mode...
Better than the otehr way round, though, eh! I'll have a look again at some point, but for now I'm gonna have a breather from DIYT for a couple of months and actually make some music...
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JoeMorris wrote:
Strangely enough, though the fuse didnt look blown, replacing it seemed to do the trick. Bizarre.

Glad to hear it works!

Quote:
no sound comes through in bypass mode...
Better than the otehr way round, though, eh! I'll have a look again at some point, but for now I'm gonna have a breather from DIYT for a couple of months and actually make some music...

Can't bee hard to trace that fault - there's aonly a couple of components in the signal path, when the relay is in the bypass position.

JH.

Luka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi

im finishing up populating this pcb but having troubles getting 9k1 resistors
would combining 2 4k7s in series be ok (9k4) ?

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luka wrote:
hi

im finishing up populating this pcb but having troubles getting 9k1 resistors
would combining 2 4k7s in series be ok (9k4) ?

No.

Better use a parallel connection:

10k || 100k = 9k09

(As a rule of thumb, if you don't have an E24 value, use the next bigger E12 value and connect 10 * that value in parallel.)

JH.

Luka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks
Luka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok well im about to finally wire this baby up

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

is there need to isolate the lamps from each other if they are within an enclosure. i only really ask this as my panel mount lamp is not enclosed and the bulb is close to the other lamps / ldrs

jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luka wrote:
ok well im about to finally wire this baby up

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

is there need to isolate the lamps from each other if they are within an enclosure. i only really ask this as my panel mount lamp is not enclosed and the bulb is close to the other lamps / ldrs

Beautiful!

What's the 5th knob?

FP lamp goes on when LDR lamps go off, so you must put some shade between them.

JH.

Luka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks will do
extra knob is just signal input

The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

Whilst building one of these phaser into a rack recently, I was stumped by what to cover the lamps with as the case was not totally light-proof, then at work I found some neon sign caps in black silicon. I didn't want to use tape, as it might make a mess, and though I do have heatproof tape at work too, it has aluminium in it, and I was worried about creating shorts... So if you can find these (maybe from a local neon sign supplier?) they are ideal, as they are also heatproof, and just slip on and off as needed (though they wouldn't 'fall' off when moving...)

I said it before, and I'll say it again - nice Phaser Luka!

Charlie

krautrock rubber things.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.59 MB
 Viewed:  464 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

krautrock rubber things.JPG

jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boards are sold out !

JH.

The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone, JH,

I finished a Krautrock Phaser some time ago, but I've just realised that I may have installed the wrong relay...

Instead of the 12V relay (Finder Relay 30.229 12V-360R )
I've installed a 5V relay (Finder Relay 30.22S 5V )

The circuit works with no problems that I have seen. Will this cause problems in the future?

Also the 12V one I should have used, is that the correct type (30.229 12V-60R), or would Finder Relay 30.22 12V work - I'm looking at this page at Banzai:

http://www.banzaieffects.com/Relays-c-276.html

Sorry for so many questions - this mistake has made me lose confidence slightly!

Charlie
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Bad Producer wrote:
Hello everyone, JH,

I finished a Krautrock Phaser some time ago, but I've just realised that I may have installed the wrong relay...

Instead of the 12V relay (Finder Relay 30.229 12V-360R )
I've installed a 5V relay (Finder Relay 30.22S 5V )

The circuit works with no problems that I have seen. Will this cause problems in the future?

Also the 12V one I should have used, is that the correct type (30.229 12V-60R), or would Finder Relay 30.22 12V work - I'm looking at this page at Banzai:

http://www.banzaieffects.com/Relays-c-276.html

Sorry for so many questions - this mistake has made me lose confidence slightly!

Charlie

It may become hot, or the resistor that's connected in series with the relay will.

Just re-calculate the resistor value.

Get the nominal current of your 5V relay: Inom
The resistor must take 15V - 5V = 10V
i.e. series resistor value Rser = 10V / Inom
Power in the resistor: P = 10V * Inom
Choose Resistor Wattage at least 3 times that calculated power.

JH.

The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Jurgen,

So, I've looked at the Datasheet for the relay, I've found the rated coil consumption (I guess that is Inom?) it is 40mA,

So that means a 1.2W resistor, I think (10*0.004 = 0.04, *3=1.2W

Or, more than likely, I've got the wrong end of the stick!

Charlie
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Bad Producer wrote:
Thank you Jurgen,

So, I've looked at the Datasheet for the relay, I've found the rated coil consumption (I guess that is Inom?) it is 40mA,

So that means a 1.2W resistor, I think (10*0.004 = 0.04, *3=1.2W

Or, more than likely, I've got the wrong end of the stick!

Charlie

Well yes, the closer the relay voltage is to the PSU voltage, the better is the efficency of the whole thing ... that's the reason why I chose a 12V relay (15V is not so common, and 12V is close to 15V).

Lower Relay voltage means higher current (for the same type of relay), *and* higher voltage across the series resistor, so the power consumption of that resistor is increased dramatically.

JH.

The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks JH,

I knew it was wrong, and I shall have to replace the part, but now I know why it is wrong, so, again...

Thank you Very Happy

Charlie
henrikgo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will there be another run of PCBs?
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

henrikgo wrote:
Will there be another run of PCBs?

Hard to tell. If there is enough demand - yes.
Orders for this came trickling in, until suddenly I noticed the last board was gone - I don't even have a single spare for myself.

If anybody is interested in a re-run, send me an email (no PM, please). When I have enough, in a few months or so, I'll do a re-run.

JH.

b-funk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just in case someone is curious how the original Schulte was designed... Wink

PS: I´m back. More soon...

shulte-compact-phasing-aa_925.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.08 KB
 Viewed:  739 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

shulte-compact-phasing-aa_925.jpg

Luka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can the mc1458 in the lfo be subbed for tl072?
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luka wrote:
can the mc1458 in the lfo be subbed for tl072?

No. Never use a 072 in a circuit where the input can swing near the supply rails, or where its output can see a heavy capacitve load.

JH.

Luka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks J
probably why it isnt working right now

any other decent substitutions?
i ordered 1458s and i got some 16pin IC, no other 1458s from local vendors.
i noticed mention of 4558s earlier in the thread, i have some here and might try, but if you can think of anything else im all ears

Page 24 of 27 [660 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: