electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
My A6 Shipment delayed again
Page 2 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
jonkull

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
Peake wrote:
They're getting to be very affordable on the used market...

They are? Shocked

Compared to the list price, yes.

And not all new analog are from people who should be given support.

The Prophet '08, on the other hand, should be well worth the money it costs.

I got a brand new Andromeda for $2299. You just need to be patient and know where to shop. I like the Prophet '08 from what I've heard but in my opinion the Andromeda is way deeper and well worth the wait. What I don't understand is why people think the A6 is so expensive. MSRP is $2999 for 16 voices. The P'08 is $1999 for 8. and the PEK is $2295 for 4. Lots of people have bought PEKs but very few have bought the A6 and claim price as the reason. Considering that you can get a new A6 for roughly the same price as a PEK (if you shop around) it doesn't make sense to me.
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

as the polyevolver and prophet 8 are clearly good alternatives , ,could be an idea to involve them in this site and make it an analog polysynth site??
i also thought a while for the polyevolver , but when i ordered my a6, it didn't excist yet and thereafter swapping would be too expensive. specially if , like me, you wanted 8 voices instead of 4. (which would require the expension too )
don't know about the possibilities of the prophet 8 yet

(if the site would be expended, then 'meatworst from space' could also stay, if he could pollish his habbits of putting **** everywhere afcourse Wink )
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What I don't understand is why people think the A6 is so expensive.

Part of it is the Alesis name. Peavey had the same problem when they attempted to put out pro-level gear. Nobody believed them. Same with Alesis.

Part of it is how cheap the plug-in world is. You can get an A6 for $2300. Compare that to say $50 for Albino 3, $150 for the M1 / Wavestation Legacy Collection, and even $900 or so for NI Komplete. Which one is more useful if you had to pick one (on specs, at least)? The P'08 is by comparison also expensive, to be honest.

Quote:
Lots of people have bought PEKs but very few have bought the A6 and claim price as the reason.

Dave Smith's doing well from what I know, but I can actually think of less keyboardists using a PEK versus an Andromeda. The polyphony is the dealbreaker for me; four voices is two voices short of my minimum. The PEK is also pretty expensive for those four voices, it's $100 more than the A6 at ZZounds. The rack's more reasonable, but it's a rack.

The P'08 will probably get more users than the PEK though. It has a good price point, and with Numark's half-baked A6 support those who like analogs may opt for the new kid in town.

On the other hand, the A6 will be able to do quite a number of sounds that the P'08 can't. The biggest gap I'd miss on the P'08, if I didn't have the A6, is the A6's very flexible dual analog filter structure. There are many other gaps as well but this one is huge to me. The big spec advantage of the P'08 (as I see it) is the LFO speed but in most other things the A6 triumphs. Now, the P'08 will be more immediate and of course with different basic sounds I can see different uses for each. But for me if I had both the A6 will still be the analog to turn to for anything deep.
rh2y

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is probably a little off-topic, for which I apologize, but I found
some nice non-DSI demos of the Prophet 08 if anyone is curious.

http://www.trippler.net/music/DSI-Evolver/Prophet08/prophet08.html

It does have a nice analog sound, but, again, it's only 8 note poly instead of 16, plus a bunch of other limitations as compared to the A6.

I'm going to wait it out and see if my A6 really does arrive in October as Alesis is now claiming.

Russ

Shameless-er plug: http://www.evatontechnologies.com/

Music: https://atomstomolecules.bandcamp.com/releases
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Prophet '08 will have a more immediate analog sound than the A6, where you have to dig around and polish.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
The Prophet '08 will have a more immediate analog sound than the A6, where you have to dig around and polish.

I'm not sure about those Prophet '08 DCO's, why bother going to the expense of real analog, if it's not quite the real thing?

Still, no tuning problems I suppose. Rolling Eyes
Peake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I usually loathe DCOs, but after doing some factory voicing for the Evolver, I came to like it's analog(ish) section. There's enough modulation to liven things up.

There is merit to the instrument and its tonality, is all I'm saying. Cool
Groove66

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: All good Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love my A6 all the way...a superb analog synth. I also own a Moog LP, which is also another great wonder.

As soon as funds allow, i am going to purchase the Prophet 8 - the analog sound of this synth is really nice and clean. Also offers a different texture over the A6. But i still feel the A6 has a more rounded sound over the P'08, especially in the low end. Both make for great analog polysynths imo.
pophertz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ordered mine in August and got in less than month.
A6 is absolutely fantastic Smile
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey pophertz

It must be used?

Love mars
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Sunny

I like the "meatworst from space". I can take a joke.
You seem to have a problem with expletives.
All I can say is, grow up.
Alesis are screwing people over.
Folks who have been waiting forever should move on.
Maybe you can't accept the fact that you own a piece of redundant plastic.
I don't know what the thing sounds like, Alesis can't seem to produce one.
Alesis should get out of the synth business.
maybe I'm rubbing A6 owners the wrong way?

I'm just not impressed with their apathy.

Step up to the plate!

Mars is still pissed!
pophertz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, a brand new one. Reading about your troubles with delays, it seems that I've been lucky.
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

let's see a pic and a receipt?

If you have a new one, I'm even more pissed off at Alesis!

Mars is rippen'
pophertz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Satisfied? Or still pissed?

A6.JPG
 Description:
A6
 Filesize:  632.59 KB
 Viewed:  206 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

A6.JPG

Just for a moment"
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, I'm truly pissed!

I'm glad you got one.

How? I don't know?

Alesis seem to be sending them out at random?

It doesn't matter with me, I cancelled my order.

I'm more concerned with poor pusy, He's been waiting since May!

Mars is on the verge of an expletive! calm down Sunny!
pophertz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mars Wants Flesh wrote:
Yep, I'm truly pissed!

I'm glad you got one.

How? I don't know?

Alesis seem to be sending them out at random?

It doesn't matter with me, I cancelled my order.

I'm more concerned with poor pusy, He's been waiting since May!

Mars is on the verge of an expletive! calm down Sunny!

Didn't meen to pissed you even more Smile

You're right, it seems they're sending them out of random.

Just for a moment"
Groove66

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mars Wants Flesh wrote:
Hi Sunny

I like the "meatworst from space". I can take a joke.
You seem to have a problem with expletives.
All I can say is, grow up.
Alesis are screwing people over.
Folks who have been waiting forever should move on.
Maybe you can't accept the fact that you own a piece of redundant plastic.
I don't know what the thing sounds like, Alesis can't seem to produce one.
Alesis should get out of the synth business.
maybe I'm rubbing A6 owners the wrong way?

I'm just not impressed with their apathy.

Step up to the plate!

Mars is still pissed!

I think you need to settle down, take a drink or something.

The A6 is nothing new. But it is arguably the best sounding and most powerful 'modern' day analog synth ever made...period. This thing can put the SE Omega synth to shame - simple as that.

You also have to look at the 'product cycle', the A6 has been in production for over 6 years now. That is a a long time for a synth such as the Andromeda.

Numark are probably finding difficulty in sourcing parts, etc. They continue to sell most likely to recoup money spent on R&D, etc. If you want one so bad, go second hand. But please do not start ripping apart a product that you have not even heard.
pophertz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Groove66 wrote:

I think you need to settle down, take a drink or something.

The A6 is nothing new. But it is arguably the best sounding and most powerful 'modern' day analog synth ever made...period. This thing can put the SE Omega synth to shame - simple as that.

You also have to look at the 'product cycle', the A6 has been in production for over 6 years now. That is a a long time for a synth such as the Andromeda.

Numark are probably finding difficulty in sourcing parts, etc. They continue to sell most likely to recoup money spent on R&D, etc. If you want one so bad, go second hand. But please do not start ripping apart a product that you have not even heard.

Mars, Groove66 is right. Take a break man, it's not a new heart or kidney you've been waiting for. Go out and have some fun Smile
He's also right about A6: this is (probably) the best analogue synth.

Just for a moment"
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not a drink, maybe a puff, but not a drink.
You guys take me too seriously!
I just think that if you extol the fact that your synth is the cat's ass, then produce said ass!

I have yet to see such ass.

Mars on the look out for some ass
analogstndrpusy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This tender pussy will definitely keep holding out for the A6's analogue bliss lol. Enjoy your Prophet 08.
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank God Pusy understands my humor!

I know when to end the foolishness.

I hope all you A6er's have fun.

Will I stop slagging Alesis?

Never!

Mars knows how to hold a grudge
Peake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hexfix93? Wink

And no, the A6 isn't the ultimate synth. That's the Moog Modular or the Buchla modular.
rh2y

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:

And no, the A6 isn't the ultimate synth. That's the Moog Modular or the Buchla modular.

If money's no object, of course... Smile

I did do some research on getting a modern modular (MOTM, Synthesizers.com, Doepfer, modcan, etc.), but for what an A6 costs,
only you get a basic mono 2-VCO modular with 2 filters, 2 envelopes, and a VCA. And maybe a keyboard if you're lucky.

You get 16 of those in an A6!

Granted, if I were to win the lottery (which would mean I'd have to buy a ticket first), I'd have a room so full of modules that you wouldn't be able to find the walls... But I digress.

Still waiting on my A6,
Russ
[/left][/b]

Shameless-er plug: http://www.evatontechnologies.com/

Music: https://atomstomolecules.bandcamp.com/releases
Groove66

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mars Wants Flesh wrote:
Not a drink, maybe a puff, but not a drink.
You guys take me too seriously!
I just think that if you extol the fact that your synth is the cat's ass, then produce said ass!

I have yet to see such ass.

Mars on the look out for some ass

So what makes you think the Prophet 08 is the cats ass? (as you say). That synth is yet to prove itself.

The A6 remains one of synths that only those who 'really' know......know that it's a killer synth.

Why don't you prove us wrong that the A6 is aload of crap? please go ahead and show us some really fat sounds on your new DCO Prophet 08 100% Analog synth.
soundwave106

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mars Wants Flesh wrote:

I'll get right to it! Sure, we can all *sample* a cat fart with our Creative Labs Emulator X2, but we all know that the Numark Andromeda synthesized cat fart will be much "warmer" and "fatter" sounding!

-sw-
But we know most producers will opt for the East West 2GB multi-sampled cat fart Giga. Damn lazy bastards.
Page 2 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: