electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
My A6 Shipment delayed again
Page 1 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
rh2y

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: My A6 Shipment delayed again Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just contacted my local dealer to see when my A6 might be arriving.
I ordered it back in May of this year. Originally it was scheduled for
delivery in early July. In July, it got pushed back to September.

Now that it's September, I thought I should call and see what's up, and now they are telling me October. I checked a couple online retailers, and they are all still indicating shipping in September, but I wouldn't be surprised if those all get pushed out as well.

Sigh.

Oh well. In the meantime, I inherited a 76477-based noisemaker from an acquaintance who used to be a Navy electronics tech. He decided he didn't need it anymore. So I may spend some time trying to get it working again,
or using the parts to build something useful. If nothing else, it has a great assortment of vintage knobs!

Russ
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My A6 Shipment delayed again Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rh2y wrote:

Oh well. In the meantime, I inherited a 76477-based noisemaker from an acquaintance who used to be a Navy electronics tech. He decided he didn't need it anymore. So I may spend some time trying to get it working again,
or using the parts to build something useful. If nothing else, it has a great assortment of vintage knobs!

Russ,

Have you considered making one of Thomas Henry's superb SN76477 projects with your newly acquainted sound chip? Just have a peek in our DIY sections Very Happy Who knows, it may help you get through your A6 withdrawal symptoms Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
rh2y

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My A6 Shipment delayed again Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Have you considered making one of Thomas Henry's superb SN76477 projects with your newly acquainted sound chip? Just have a peek in our DIY sections Very Happy Who knows, it may help you get through your A6 withdrawal symptoms Very Happy

Funny how that works out --- I was actually in the middle of designing and buliding a complete from-the-ground-up sound synth out of discrete CMOS gates (40106's make such good square wave oscillators) when I happened across the 76477 board. There are actually two 76477's on the board. I'm sure the pots and switches are no longer serviceable (it's from the late 70's), but the chips may still work, and might get integrated into my discrete setup. I was looking to add a noise source and an envelope generator, so the '477 might make for a handy shortcut.

In any case, yep, I was already building something to tide me over; the 76477's might just speed up that process!

Thanks for the pointer.

Russ
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been waiting for my A6 since the end of March. Alesis is now saying it may be beyond October. I doubt Alesis has the ability to provide this synth. What a shit company. This synth is not worth it. I am going to purchase a DSI Prophet 08. Something I can actually get my hands on!
amnesia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i had no problem getting mine and I live in Australia
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mars Wants Flesh wrote:
I have been waiting for my A6 since the end of March. Alesis is now saying it may be beyond October. I doubt Alesis has the ability to provide this synth. What a shit company. This synth is not worth it. I am going to purchase a DSI Prophet 08. Something I can actually get my hands on!

yes really makes you mad i guess.
however, it's worth it , and it's numark who's to blame .
rh2y

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sunny pedaal wrote:

yes really makes you mad i guess.
however, it's worth it , and it's numark who's to blame .

I'm in no great hurry to receive mine, as I'm just a hobbyist, and if it gets here in time for Winter, that will be great. I am just hoping that I don't wait and wait and wait, only to finally be told Alesis has decided to no longer manufacture the A6. I had that happen to me once before, not on a synth, but some other piece of gear. If Alesis is planning to discontinue the A6 before I receive mine, I'd rather know that now rather than be strung along all these months.
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They're getting to be very affordable on the used market...
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:

They are? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
rh2y

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:

I'll keep waiting it out a little longer, so I can get one with a warranty and a guarantee that somebody's dog didn't puke into the keyboard at some point in its storied past... Smile

Just wish Alesis/Numark would give us some sort of firm delivery date or an explanation of why it keeps getting pushed back. I can only speculate as to when, why, or even if I'm going to get the unit I ordered back in May.

In response to Mars Wants Flesh's "I'm buying a Prophet '08" comment, I'm looking into that, though it seems far less capable than the A6. In particular, upon reading the manual, it looks as though it only does 7-bit MIDI for controllers, which is going to make it sound "steppy" when played back from Cubase, which would be distinctly un-analog sounding.

There is brief mention of 14-bit NRPNs, but it's not clear if the Prophet '08 sends and receives knob twists as 7-bit or 14-bit. That would be a real deal killer for me.
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just called my rep who I am good friends with and told him to cancel my order. I am pissed! Alesis are only interested in ensuring that there are orders to levitate their faltering business. F__k them. The Prophet is a reality. A plague upon Alesis' house! And on top of it, a type 2 card that is redundant. Give me a f__kin' break! Burry this piece of shit!
Sorry guys, I'm venting big time!
rh2y

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I just now called Alesis directly to see if I could get any answers. They are saying they will be shipping in October at this point. No specific date, but they will be shipping in October. I specifically asked if they really will be shipping (as opposed to discontinuing the A6 altogether), and they said yes, they would be shipping units when they come in.

Whew. Guess I just have to hang in tight a little longer...

In the meantime, those of you with A6's, please keep posting MP3's so those of use who are still waiting on ours can have something cool to listen to. I promise, I'll reciprocate when I get mine!

Mars, when you get your Prohpet-8, drop us a note with a link to some MP3s of it so we can compare. Sorry you're pissed off, but I can surely understand it. I'm only as patient as I am with this because its just a hobby for me, and I have plenty to do to keep me busy while I'm waiting.

I just hope I don't have to further deal with a tuning problem or other defect once the unit finally does arrive...

Russ

Shameless plug: http://www.whiterose.net/~russ/synth.html
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dear mars, i understand you want flesh
however we're talking 'bout a synthesizer , a piece of electronicmachine.
so i doubt if that's worth all the swearing, and this is not a religious thing or so.
just cool down, take a break and a walk, probably there you'll have more of a chance to find the flesh you want.
for the rest heads on , either buy one second hand or just go for another brand (y)
yours sincerely, sunny

on the other hand afcourse it's strange that delivery is not very consistent, makes one indeed wonder: is it the dollardprice, problems with part quality again , are they discontinuing. anyway guess it's a good idea to stick on their feathers a bit to make sure at least you'll get one.
tumbs up!!.
anyway even if everything goes wrong with numark, there will always be a way to geta good one, i'm sure
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey sunny

Swearing? I did put some spaces between the F and the ING.

I am actually a bass player. I also enquired about the purchase of a 4003 bass a while back. I was told that it would take a full year to get one. I told the rep that I wouldn't buy shares in Rickenbacker because they would never give me a return. Alesis can go suck my bleep bleep bleep!

Just havin' fun now.

The Prophet 08 SE is on it's way!

I will see you on that forum

Love Mars
analogstndrpusy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for keeping us up to date on when Alesis will be shipping Rh2y. I'm also anxiously awaitng the arrival of my A6. I guess I'll just re-read the manual in the mean time and make some new tunes with what I have.
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How long have you been waiting analogstndrpusy?

If you have been waiting for six months like I have your a sucker too!
Maybe your just a pusy? Ha!

God luv ya

Mars
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mars Wants Flesh wrote:
Maybe your just a pusy? Ha!

Shocked Usually we use welcome for new members Laughing

Quote:
God luv ya

That would do just as well I guess Cool

analogstndrpusy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been waiting since April sadley, but I know it will be worth it. Thanks
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Come on Blue Hell

No reason to be gentle.

Alesis sucks as far as I'm concerned.

It's time to move on if you have been waiting for six months Analogsthdrpusy.

No synth is worth that wait. There will be an analog revolution in the next year. Trust me.

Love Mars
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mars Wants Flesh wrote:
Alesis sucks as far as I'm concerned.

That's ok, I get pretty mad as well when waiting for something that gets delayed and delayed, but just don't run over other members for it, please?

Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Blue

I'm not running over him. I'm trying to wake him up and anyone else who has been waiting forever to get an A6.

New analogs are around the corner. Dave Smith is leading the way.

Alesis will be left in the dust. All they are selling is a vapoursynth.

Mars
soundwave106

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mars Wants Flesh wrote:
New analogs are around the corner. Dave Smith is leading the way.

Alesis will be left in the dust. All they are selling is a vapoursynth.

Mars

I'm sure the P-'08 is going to do quite well, there's a lot of interest in it (myself included). A pity Numark is not really interested in the A6, but it is at present 8 year old technology and sort of a specialty cash cow.

Unfortunately the P-'08 and PolyEvolver are the only polyanalog I'm aware of that's *not* vaporware (aside from the long-entrenched Omega Cool, and while the P'08 sound seems quite nice it's not going to be quite as programmable as the A6 is. Still seems like a good edition to an arsenal, might be quite a bit better than waiting for an A6 depending on your needs.
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At present, I own a Polyevolver Keyboard and Voyager RME. These took but a week or two to arrive. I truly wanted to add an A6 to the club. But I refuse to be led on a wild goose chase by Alesis.

Mars
Mars Wants Flesh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh!

If Justin Barro from Alesis support is watching this thread, I dare him to jump on board and spar with me, seeing as he doesn't have the guts to answer emails when the going gets dirty.

Mars is lovin' it!
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Peake wrote:

They are? Shocked

Compared to the list price, yes.

And not all new analog are from people who should be given support.

The Prophet '08, on the other hand, should be well worth the money it costs.
Page 1 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: