electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Artists » Seraph
“quasi ¼ comma meantone bluesy”
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: “quasi ¼ comma meantone bluesy”
Subject description: 1/4 comma Insensatez
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The scale “quasi ¼ comma meantone bluesy” comes from a study of meantone scales. With LMSO I built a diatonic scale based on a chain of 7 perfect fifths starting on D each one smaller than 3/2 (701.955 cents) by a syntonic comma (81/80, 21.508 cents) split in 4. (21.508/4 = 5.377, 701.955 - 5.377 = 696.578 = ¼ comma meantone perfect fifth). If this does not make any sense don’t worry, anyway see the picture “1/4 comma diatonic”. The intervals are either 193.157 (yellow ones) or 117.108 cents (purple ones). It is a symmetric scale built on 2 different intervals.

arrow Listen to quasi 1/4 comma "Insensatez"

quarter comma diatonic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.91 KB
 Viewed:  312 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

quarter comma diatonic.jpg

Quote:
The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils; the motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Erebus: Let no such man be trusted. - W. Shakespeare

Last edited by seraph on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:15 am; edited 9 times in total
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found this scale pleasant, so I decided to create a chromatic version of it splitting each 193.157 interval in 2 (193.157/2 = 96.5785 cents), see quasiquartercomma chromatic.jpg, again a symmetric scale built on 2 different intervals.

quasiquartercomma chromatic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.54 KB
 Viewed:  334 Time(s)

quasiquartercomma chromatic.jpg

Quote:
The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils; the motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Erebus: Let no such man be trusted. - W. Shakespeare

Last edited by seraph on Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for those into this kind of crazy stuff I will add the I called it “quasi ¼ comma chromatic bluesy” because a real ¼ comma meantone cycle of 12 perfect fifths (each 696.578 cents) would look like the one in the “1/4 comma chromatic” picture, the famous Renaissance and Baroque tuning, that I find much uglier than mine!

In my scale (I say “mine” but it could have been discovered hundreds of years ago) major thirds are either 5/4 (386.314 cents) or 406.844 cents (very close to pythagoric ones, 407.82 cents), minor thirds are either 310.265 (close to 6/5, 315.64129 cents) or 289.736 (almost 13/11, 289.20972), perfect fifths are always 696.578 cents (the so called “generating interval”, see above, while the octave is the so called “folding interval”).

I am posting my “piano interpretation” of “Insensatez” (How Insensitive) by Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes, played using this tuning to let you know what I am talking about!

quarter comma chromatic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.76 KB
 Viewed:  324 Time(s)

quarter comma chromatic.jpg

Quote:
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 171

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh carlo. I would have not thought to listen had you not bumped this.

I once tuned a piano in perfect fifths, because I could. It sounded very much like what you have, except I added proper beating for each note. My music professor was tolerant of the exercise, he let me play the piano for a couple of days then he asked me to please tune it properly now that I had my fun.

There are certain keys in this tuning that work great, and there are certain keys/modes that really sound different. have you tried playing on some of the odd modes?

Home,My Studio,and another view
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
have you tried playing on some of the odd modes?

I have tried a few things on different keys. in general I would say this tuning sounds earthy, bluesy, unrefined (in a good way) to me.

Quote:
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you describe the unrefined-ness? I always thought of it as more refined, in certain keys, but really jarring in others. If you get afoul of the circle of fifths, as it relates to modes, I mean. Which is funny because in this scale you're theoretically even in the circle of fifths, sort of. Except it doesn't seem to work out when you hit the octave.

I envy you LMSO, and yeah I'll buy it soon when I have time to devote to it. You have to want to do something, and I can see you are having a blast with it.

No time yet, and less for a while.

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
Can you describe the unrefined-ness?

maybe because of the long exposure to equal temperament, this scale sounds familiar because you can play almost any piece of the usual repertoire with it but, at the same time, it does not sound as "geometrically polished" as the ingeniously built 12tET. For me it's like comparing something built by hand with some mass-produced device (I usually prefer the former).

EdisonRex wrote:
I always thought of it as more refined, in certain keys, but really jarring in others.

You are right consonance-wise but the unevenness of intervals makes it more interesting and challenging.

EdisonRex wrote:
it doesn't seem to work out when you hit the octave.

Shocked all octaves are exactly 1200 cents.

EdisonRex wrote:
I envy you LMSO...

Very Happy

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: “quasi ¼ comma meantone bluesy”

seraph wrote:
quasi ¼ comma meantone...

according to Barbour's "Tuning and Temperament" this scale could be defined "mean-semitone" or "semi-meantone". I thought everyone was waiting for this detail.
Shocked

Quote:
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well. Education is always good, you know. Wink

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: “quasi ¼ comma meantone bluesy”

seraph wrote:
seraph wrote:
quasi ¼ comma meantone...

according to Barbour's "Tuning and Temperament" this scale could be defined "mean-semitone" or "semi-meantone".

according to Jorgensen's Tuning: Containing the Perfection of Eighteenth-Century Temperament, the Lost Art of Nineteenth-Century Temperament and the Science of Equal Temperament, semi-meantone is synonym of equal-tempered.
Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Seraph
Jump to: