electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Hints on better mimic'ing Moogs
Page 2 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
kraster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hints on better mimic'ing Moogs
Subject description: Please add your own
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
If you've got a Little Phatty or other Moog... Post a soundclip. No, I'm just kidding.

One thing that makes the early Moogs sound a bit different seems to be that the waveforms exist more above the zero line than below. The Modular and Minimoog exhibit this. When you use an LFO in a Moog-style patch, offset it to about 65% or so positive, and see if that makes a difference. It's been a while since I've been in front of a Minimoog, but doesn't the vibrato (osc 3) cause the pitch to rise upward a bit as well?

Of course, long-mentioned in the excellent Tips and Tricks file, is to use an envelope to control Filter 2's Resonance, starting with a low overall setting and the envelope spikes it along with the Filter Fc.

Of course, using the LFOs and the TG to offset each oscillator helps as well. See the factory program Series 900.

Is the Moog having the waveform over the line a DC offset from the zero crossing point?

Interesting.

One thing I have noticed about Moogs is that the filter seems more saturated than others but in a gentle kind of a way. Giving it that moog "squelch". Patching the andy's output to the filter input as you mentioned before is a good way of achieving this.

I always try and program some kind of instability into the sound. Either by gently modulating the 24db filter with a noise lfo and/or using the filter feedback. Same with the oscillators.

The Moog sound to me always has been lush without being to Hi-fi. So the filter should never get too high in frequency. I usually patch together a slight increase of filter feedback with the an increase of filter cutoff onto the mod wheel or ribbon. This helps the sound get a little more saturated as you increase the cutoff.

Also by putting a little "sag" in the sound it sounds more "vintage".
ie. Using the pitch envelope to hold the pitch steady and then the slightest downturn in pitch on release.
The S/H step output is also good for using to modulate the ouput of the above pitch envelope.

The great thing about the andromeda,as you well know, is that you can have 16 of these simultaneously!!!!

Wink
ThreeFingersOfLove

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another suggestion - trick from me:

I have noticed that there is a special something in the envelopes of the Minimoog, (my Voyager does this too), it's like after the attack there is a small period of sustain to the sound. Me thinks this also contributes to the oomph of the Moogs but you can get it from the A6 if you offset the envelopes a bit till you get a clip. It's rather tricky to adjust though, I remember reading in the Tips document that the envelopes sound better if they are something like 80% and not 100% as that will give some room to some frequencies. In some patches it works well, in others no.

Smile
Peake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The tip you mention regarding lowering the envelope output is from Colin, and applies to Envelope 3. He felt that it was overdriving the output VCA. I've never had a chance to really listen and confirm this, but he really knows his shit so try it out.
ThreeFingersOfLove

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just in case someone forgot:

in the Mini the feedback comes after the VCA whereas in the A6 it comes after the VCF. However, we can always patch a cable back into the CV input, manually.
Peake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ThreeFingersOfLove wrote:
Just in case someone forgot:

in the Mini the feedback comes after the VCA whereas in the A6 it comes after the VCF. However, we can always patch a cable back into the CV input, manually.

Audio>CV feedback will provide a completely different (yet in itself usable) result than audio>audio.
ThreeFingersOfLove

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Silly me, when I said CV I had the external input in mind. Sorry about this.
Peake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Audio out to CV in is a rewarding form of synthesis, try it out.
ThreeFingersOfLove

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mike, isn't running audio signals to CV inputs dangerous? I know it can be done in some Serge modules (they were custom made to accept both CV and audio, like the Control Voltage Mixer). How about in the Andromeda? Am I going to fry anything?
Peake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The line-level outputs, no, I don't think so.
Page 2 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: