electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
help!!isolating circuits (on same psu) from each other????
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: help!!isolating circuits (on same psu) from each other???? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK. this is bad.

I have a cd4040/cd40106 vactrol based sequencer running off of 9v on one breadboard. then on another breadboard i have another cd40106 circuit running , we will call it tonemaker-(its a little noisemaker, very cool, found here: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/board/topic-382.html

Anyway, they are both being powered if the same 9v battery, since i am low on batteries. and WITHOUT EVEN HOOKING UP THE SEQUENCER TO THE 2nd BREADBOARD, i start hearing my tonemaker playing a sequence of notes!!

as i speed up the sequencer (which isnt hooked up to anything, no speaker, no output, except its hooked up to the same battery as the tonemaker on the other breadboard) i hear my tonemakers sound get faster and faster!!!

1. what is going on?
2. how can i fix it-with one psu?
regulators? caps? what do i need to do? this also happened to me with one other thing i was testing.

i mean when i am building stuff i like to be able to power things off of one battery.

is it because the battery line sends the audio from the other board? or is it far more complicated? there has to be some kind of filter i could make.

IS CMOS MORE PRONE TO THIS? seems so.

thanks alot.

this is ruining my day.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try putting a 100 uF .. 470 uF cap over the battery.

Batteries can have a fairly large internal resistance especially when they go empty or when it's cold. What happens is that when a circuit draws current from it the voltage will drop (same as what happens with a flashlight on an older battery, light goes on bright and dims quickly). The varying voltage can affect the other circuit (or the same as well, when it's really bad).

The large capacitor will smooth out this effect for fast current pulses. Be sure to have the + and - OK and the electrolytic cap will need a working voltage of at least 10 Volt for a 9 V battery.

loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: thank u Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so put the cap between + and - or between + and voltage in on my circuit??

thanks
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Between the + and - of the battery.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: help!!isolating circuits (on same psu) from each other?? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:
OK. this is bad.

I have a cd4040/cd40106 vactrol based sequencer running off of 9v on one breadboard. then on another breadboard i have another cd40106 circuit running , we will call it tonemaker-(its a little noisemaker, very cool, found here:http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/board/topic-382.html

Shocked Wow. Reading through that entire 5 pages of thread, was quite similar to my history of starting out building my first 'synthesizer', in 1986! Very Happy I didn't know a heckuva lot about electronics then, but I had fun with it.

I made a simple circuit based around 2 CMOS clocks around the CD4011 quad NAND Gate chip, along with 2 more 4011 clocks that could operate either by themselves, or to each turn 1 other clock ON or OFF. (It ended up giving a Pulse Width Modulation effect.)

Through 3 multi-fx units, I recorded this 30 minute noise tune with it only, in 1989.

http://deathlehem.com/wsb4569662401/Samples/mp3/WanderingDepthsWonderingMinds1990.mp3
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Make sure you have separate wires (+ and gnd) connecting your sequencer and tone generator to the battery.

Put noise suppressor caps across the + and gnd connections on every IC. .01 mf is a good size to start with. Put them as close to the IC as possible.

You are probably going to appreciate a regulated power supply at this point. It can help to run the sequencer on it's own power supply separate from the tone generator.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: