electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Sound Proofing an Apartment
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Low Note

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Sound Proofing an Apartment Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey all-

I need to do some things to kill a weird echo in my music space when I'm recording. I just moved into a new apartment.

The cheap, and probably immediate option will be to put some blankets on the wall, hanging them up on some existing nails and maybe putting one or two more in. But I looking for some means that aren't as permanant? I want to be able to take this with me when I leave the place, and I don't want to have to spend the afternoon patching the wall, either...

Has anyone used this: http://www.auralex.com/category_max-wall/category_max-wall.asp ? It seems like the company knows what its doing. Not too expensive really, either.

Any suggestions otherwise? My concern is more geared towards recording than mixing right now.
cappy2112

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound Proofing an Apartment Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Low Note wrote:
Hey all-

I need to do some things to kill a weird echo in my music space when I'm recording. I just moved into a new apartment.

The cheap, and probably immediate option will be to put some blankets on the wall, hanging them up on some existing nails and maybe putting one or two more in. But I looking for some means that aren't as permanant? I want to be able to take this with me when I leave the place, and I don't want to have to spend the afternoon patching the wall, either...

Has anyone used this: http://www.auralex.com/category_max-wall/category_max-wall.asp ? It seems like the company knows what its doing. Not too expensive really, either.

Any suggestions otherwise? My concern is more geared towards recording than mixing right now.

We had a very short (almost slapback) echo when we moved in.
It went away as more furniture was put into the room, but was annoying until then. If your floor is not carpeted, a cheap but large throw rug *may* help somewhat- and if you can borrow one from a friend for a few days, it is a cheap investment in time & some driving. Also, leaving your moving boxes in strategic (this is the hard part) locations (temporarily) may help to break up the reflections, if you can tolerate the unsightliness.
Low Note

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be the same sort of echo. Its almost as loud as the initial sound (clap, snap, whatever), and comes back pretty fast.

Only seems to be happening in the room I set up in, too. Durr.

I put in a carpet. I'll see if I can move furniture/boxes around to get rid of the sound for now. thanks!
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you set up bookshelves, make all the books at different depths. This emulates the random pattern dispersion devices that are used in many studios. And it works very well. If possible, put these directly behind you (so the speakers are facing the bookshelf)..this will spread the wavefront out so you don't get standing waves (resonances), either. Heavy curtains on/near windows helps also.

If it's really expensive & inconvenient to really deaden a room, you can just work with it and make the reverb more *musical*, by using bookshelves and other tricks to disperse the waves around the room more evenly.
cappy2112

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Low Note wrote:
That would be the same sort of echo. Its almost as loud as the initial sound (clap, snap, whatever), and comes back pretty fast.

Maybe you should sample it first, before moving furniture in.
You may not be able to ever get that sound back Wink
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carpet every where! I've hung it about 75mm out from the walls with very good results (shown in the link below)

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-11146.html

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I heard once that in an airport the sound was really loud at the counter where you present your ticket, so they hung a big piece of cloth ABOVE the counter from the ceiling and it solved the problem. Maybe you could just do something like that, eh?
Low Note

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well...

all of this stuff is expensive... even carpeting every inch of the place.

so i'm going to I think, get a few pieces of aurelex foam, lay it on plywood or something, and start putting it in strategic locations. a piece at a time.

Putting something above would probably help a lot, especially for some of my shorter bandmates. closes off more area of the room than putting something in front of them Smile
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Jump to: