electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
The Thomas Henry Mega Percussive Synthesizer
Page 7 of 31 [761 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
Luka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

would be very cool if it happened
but i realize the effort going into it

bill pretty please?!

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
shuchoco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: i'd like 2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

please put me down for 2 boards please!

thanks!!
Alienation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speaking of parts, rather than kits what about a parts list/BOM similar to what Magic Smoke has done with Mouser or other source part numbers identified?

Everyone might be able to participate in something like that, just an idea.

Very Happy
TonnieWiegman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm be interested in 4 boards.
philpeery

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speaking as someone that bought a parts kit from Bill for my Klee, I would say it was 283.5% worth it for me! Not having to obtain all of the parts, and being able to get a kit from a single source (except the panel parts of course) was worth it's weight in gold.

If we could convince Bill, or someone else, to offer this service for the MPS, I would GLADLY pay the requisite fee to E-M, and to Bill to cover the expense of time that obviously goes into such an undertaking.

Bill, if you are even slightly considering doing this again, I would be again in your debt for taking some of the sting out of these kinds of projects!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Speaking as someone that bought a parts kit from Bill for my Klee, I would say it was 283.5% worth it for me! Not having to obtain all of the parts, and being able to get a kit from a single source (except the panel parts of course) was worth it's weight in gold.

If we could convince Bill, or someone else, to offer this service for the MPS, I would GLADLY pay the requisite fee to E-M, and to Bill to cover the expense of time that obviously goes into such an undertaking.

Bill, if you are even slightly considering doing this again, I would be again in your debt for taking some of the sting out of these kinds of projects!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!

Hey, thanks man !!!! Well, a bit of a buzz was going on about this in, oddly enough, another forum ....... the Klee forum ....... Here is what I wrote there .......

My response to a request:

Quote:
State Machine wrote:
Quote:
bill a couple of us were wondering, hoping, that you may be convinced to do parts kits for the TH mega percussion module
the kits for the klee were incredibly handy and well done Wink
any chance?

I would do it, sure, but it's Thomas Henry's project and I am sure he would have approached me by now so it's doubtful that I will be doing it. It's really not my call I am sorry to say Sad The Klee was different. Scott kindly asked so I delivered on his request. Tom, I reckon, may like to keep tighter control on his project ... Question Question I would write to Thomas and see about parts. He might be supplying them himself for all I know. Very Happy Very Happy

Bill

Andy's response:

Quote:
I agree with Bill about Thomas having the final say on this, it is his baby. I'm sure Thomas would be fine with it, but you really should approach him first.

I wrote this in response to Andy:

Quote:
am flattered that the guys like and want my service and flattered by your kind comments also Andy. Your always supportive and great to work with!

Lets see how this all pans out and if Thomas agrees and wants me to do the parts kits and sales, and, enough want the parts prepackaged, then I will do it for the gang!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Until then, I will be on sort of STANDBY, power down mode Wink
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow! I just looked back a page on this thread and saw the prototype board and ............ BRAVO

Very very nice. The layout is fantastic and I see the power options in there ! Great job Andy and to the team !

Bill
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's an idea of where my front panel is at so far.
You can see I've improved at drawing sockets! Very Happy (compared to the switches)
Still very rough, haven't decided on a font yet. Thinking about the overall layout, wondering about extra CV ins etc.
I'm pretty happy with the direction it's taking though.

PS, the colour won't stay like that. I was just mucking around with what can be done.

MPS-Front-Panel-31-1-08.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.22 KB
 Viewed:  603 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

MPS-Front-Panel-31-1-08.gif

prophei

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i will def need a few of these boards when complete...wow!
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A lot closer to finished now.
Playing around with fonts, man, it's always hard to decide on a font combination.
I tried changing the background back to white, but the yellow/orange is starting to grow on me! Laughing
Any suggestions, praise or questions welcome! Very Happy

MPS-Front-Panel-5-2-08.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.18 KB
 Viewed:  456 Time(s)

MPS-Front-Panel-5-2-08.gif

Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unc,

looks great! I dig the colour scheme, too! Just make sure you put the "N" in synthesiser before you commit to metal!
asafnetzer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't been here for some time, always good to return to this forum.
This looks like a great module, amazing design.
Would love to join too, I'm in for one pcb.

Best regards,
Asaf
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

antman49443 wrote:
Unc,

looks great! I dig the colour scheme, too! Just make sure you put the "N" in synthesiser before you commit to metal!

Thanks Antman! It's amazing how easily spelling takes a back seat when you're looking at the "big picture". Very Happy

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Unc,

That is a very cool panel. Cool Your soul has obviously been psychedelicized.

Those protos should be there anytime - I mailed them a week ago today.

Cheerios,
Scott

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sit here waiting in antici......?.......!.........pation! Very Happy
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This would be a fairly difficult project to ergonometrize, but I think you've done a great job of grouping things logically.

Since the trigger input belongs to all three subsections, as do the volume control and output jack, I wonder if they shouldn't be grouped together. There's no change in drilling, just a matter of extending the section delimiter line to group the input/volume/output together.

Just an idea...

Thomas Henry
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I thought about that, but I figured the trigger is the initiator of the circuit, as the impact is of the drum. Besides, the sensitivity and trigger lock are on the top row. And, I just put the trigger LED next to it, where that line would have been extended. Very Happy
Thanks heaps for the feedback though. I thought you two were lost in MIDIworld. Laughing

factus10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since I've cleared a few projects off the deck (and they're in the rack), so put me down for at least one!
bugbrand

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooh, the excitement is building!

I'm attacking from a more compact point -- back in November I'd come up with a 4-width Frac arrangement and then last night I re-visited it and realised I could *maybe* get down to 3-width -- minimising panel space is pretty important for me as I like to keep things (just about) portable, though perhaps 3-width is too compact.. Still, here's some images to bounce off people and get some comments. I've tried to group things together in what I see as logical ways.. & hopefully I haven't left anything off...

There's a couple of HotRodMods -
1) - a 3way switch for Shell CV selecting either ExtCV (banana socket), cross mod from Noise or cross mod from Impact (..this was a great Stites idea!)
2) - lock switch (which I think has been mentioned in the thread already?)

There's still quite some work to do on figuring the labeling -- I may well build this on plain aluminium with LaserTran decals rather than my usual engraved anodised panels so that I can get more fine detail on the labels.

Anyways, comments??!!

MPS_Front2Rough.jpg
 Description:
New compact 3-frac width
 Filesize:  125.49 KB
 Viewed:  297 Time(s)

MPS_Front2Rough.jpg

MPS_Front1Rough.jpg
 Description:
Quite compact 4-frac unit.
 Filesize:  120.23 KB
 Viewed:  291 Time(s)

MPS_Front1Rough.jpg

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a quick note to let everybody know I received my copies of the prototype boards today, and I will be settling down to a little rosin sniffing tonight. Very Happy
I love the smell of rosin in the evening.

bugbrand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Just a quick note to let everybody know I received my copies of the prototype boards today, and I will be settling down to a little rosin sniffing tonight. :D
I love the smell of rosin in the evening.

In wonderful synchronicity the boards for me just arrived too!!
Movement ahoy!!

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Both very nice layouts Tom. I can understand you wanting to get it a bit smaller if you're going to need portability. Mine is only 2U, but still a very stay at home kind of design. Very Happy
Have you got your protos yet?

loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i will want one pcb for sure when the time comes

looking good

philpeery

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno about all the rest of you, but I can easily envision a 4, 6, or even 8 "channel" MPS drum synth rack, driven either by some type of midi trigger, or a set of homebrewed drum pads! I'm saving my pennies for at least 4 boards, maybe more! Niel Peart, eat your heart out!

Now, if we could just convince the prolific Mr. Henry to update the clangora design so that it doesn't use those hard to find 566 chips, we'd all be in electronic drum nirvana!

Phil
Funky40

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

philpeery wrote:
driven either by some type of midi trigger, or a set of homebrewed drum pads!

Phil

are there somehwere advices how to build drumpads which delivers a VC for Velocity ?
something that really allows good expression on velocity.
Page 7 of 31 [761 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: