electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
The Thomas Henry Mega Percussive Synthesizer
Page 28 of 31 [761 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 Next
NoizeToyz

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Jim,
Thanks for your answer; yes I also thought it might be the noise source modulating it so I actually disconnected the shell modulation switch to see if that helped, but alas not.

I took a direct audio feed from the shell output jumper (J16 / 2) and it is the same sound...

I'll check the power going to the ICs to make sure that's all good...

Ed

*Edit*

I found that other people have had the same problems and it seems like it's down to a dodgy batch of XR2206 chips with batch numbers F0919. These don't seem to work on anything above around 11v strangely.

I swapped them for some other ones and all is working perfectly. The batch numbers which work for me are;
0519 & F0630

Last edited by NoizeToyz on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
o-live

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello

where i can found the pcb for the MPS please ,i don't see it on the web

thank you
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Someone else mentioned it: top of this site, "store" "DIY Components".

http://electro-music.com/catalog/forums.html/cPath/54
o-live

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you sams as teh other topic where i have posted my question
i have see the store of electro music , but this pcb is not available from long time ,i search an other site for purchase it ,or other method for make the pcb

good day
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't understand what you're talking about, I bought one from here just last month. If they were out of stock, they wouldn't have it in the store.
o-live

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry for misunderstanding , i have look sometimes in this last month and always (not available) ,hope new batch come soon Smile
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a current snapshot as of RIGHT NOW.

It says "NOW back in stock".

Are you perhaps misunderstanding and thinking that it says "NOT back in stock" ??

Screen shot 2012-08-17 at Aug 17 12.13.41AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.99 KB
 Viewed:  29650 Time(s)

Screen shot 2012-08-17 at Aug 17 12.13.41AM.png

o-live

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm not very good in english ,i have the understand the inverse
I'm sorry

thank's for your help
elmegil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm glad you can get the board Smile
o-live

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you too Smile

do you have make this project ?
elmegil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, it's buried pretty far back in my backlog. As of this moment I'm not even sure where I will be able to house it, my hand made modular really doesn't have room. I just know I need some percussion and I like Thomas Henry's designs a lot, and I wanted to support EM as well.
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally got around to building this.

Thomas Henry Mega Percussion Synthesizer front

Thomas Henry Mega Percussion Synthesizer back

Works perfectly, sounds great!
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful build sduck. Cool
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Beautiful build sduck. Cool

Yup Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
synthcube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ditto. the colors really brighten that up.
Its on my backlog list too. Which keeps growing Sad
mubase

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: MPS boards are still available?? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all. Are the MPS PCBs still available??
I have read the inforrmation and am becoming very enamoured by the possibilities! I love the idea that it can be used as a percussive instrument or a synthesizer in its own right..
I have an SN voice which I have built in a small ex-coco serial box as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eABfF8u4XkI

I think the Thomas Henry coupled with my SN voice would make a very nice team.
I'd build something similar to the Sn Voice LUX in the video with a baby 8 sequencer but with the MPS as the main engine...

sduck

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Click the "store" link at the top left of this page
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't compete with sduck for beautiful builds, but I like it nonetheless Smile

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
NoizeToyz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some lovely looking designs everyone. Here's a pic of my MPS that I put into Moog format. Designed in Adobe Illustrator, and made by Ben at Re:Synthesis .http://www.bigbluewave.co.uk/resynthesis/resynthesis_home.htm

P1020697.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.78 MB
 Viewed:  1213 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

P1020697.jpg

NoizeToyz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a little demo of my MPS - hopefully useful to others to compare sounds and operation between DIY builds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIe4X6c2G4E
mubase

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: MPS build started. Very excited about this one. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recieved my MPS PCB in the post on Friday gone. Very excited about this build. I've got most of the componenjts except for a few resistors. I'm thinking of building it inside the same type of box as my SN Voices with a baby 8 sequencer built in also like here:
. All Patchable. http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/thumbs/t_snlux_174.jpg

Only problem might be the number of pots... I'm thinking I might be able to sacrifice some of the banana sockets as potholes (like on the sequencer...)
Then when I'[url] finished I'll have 3 of these boxes, 2 of which will be SN Voice based and the other an MPS! Then I will be able to patch them all together!!!! Mwahhaaahahahahahaaaaaaaa....[/url]

JoeMorris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Had the board for this for a while and finally got round to putting it together a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I'm having real trouble with it, and am desperately wanting to get some of the wonderful sounds I have heard in the demos!

My tests show that the trigger section works as it should and at the other end the mixer section works as it should when I input external signals into the returns, but not the all important stuff in between! I am getting a square wave from pin 4 of the CD4046 and a chaotic-looking triangle wave from pin 2 of the XR Oscillator chip with or without the LM17600s in place, but when I turn the power on the LM17600Ns start to heat up to the touch until they either burn out or I turn the power off in time (Ive been through a couple of sets whilst troubleshooting). A couple of the transistors smoked out too.

Is there anything obvious in the circuit that could be wrong that is frying the LMs whilst leaving the other three chips intact? I'm starting to tear my hair out here Sad
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are transistors in each section of the circuit that are key to generating currents for controlling the LM chips. If those, or their associated resistors are wrong, or have shorts, I could see that causing this kind of behavior without blowing up the op amps.

So I'd go over the circuit paying special attention to the transistors (are they the right ones?) and the resistors around them, and whether there are any solder bridges or touching leads.
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many thanks for the swift reply! did you solve your volume problem in the end? I have used bc550 and bc560 instead of 2n3904 and 2n3906, I thought they were interchangeable, could this be the problem do you think? Do you know what the LM pin readings should be?
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BC series transistors usually orient the opposite way (flat side wise) from 2N series transistors, that sounds like a highly likely possibility for your problem.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to use them, but you have to make sure the pinouts are oriented per the way the transistors need to be oriented (emitter, base, collector), rather than the cases Very Happy

I got my volume problem partly solved on the circuit, and partly solved by going through a sub mixer. Still not thinking that should be necessary, but I get good sounds with what I have now and it saves me some frustration that I can apply to other things Wink.
Page 28 of 31 [761 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: