electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
The Thomas Henry Mega Percussive Synthesizer
Page 4 of 31 [761 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
creatorlars

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm very interested in these boards too. Smile I'll build one as soon as its available.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'm very interested in these boards too. I'll build one as soon as its available.

I have seen the preliminary drawing of the board layout and I tell you, it's really a nice piece of work Wink Cool Tight artwork and all conveniently connectorized [not sure if thats a word but what a hell, it's sound good!

Bill
chaotician

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ooh you tease!!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
ooh you tease!!

Hey, welcome aboard man !!! Yes, I like to do that alot but not as much as our friend Scott Stites does Very Happy Very Happy

Enjoy the forum, you will learn bunch and maybe you can teach us something also ???

Really, the MPS board that Andy Sharp has done so far is real beautiful and compact. Lately I have not been in the core group this go around but it looks like the project is close. Scott and Thomas will make that official of course. Wink

Bill
chaotician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

you will learn bunch and maybe you can teach us something also ???

I've already learnt a whole load from lurking around various threads, I have been planning a modular for around two years, I just started to build a quad polivox filter (based on marc bareille's design) on strip board along with a few modulation sources, I have seen a few chaos gens I like. I am also going to buy into the dot com module a month scheme just to provide a known working test-bed system for the DiY stuff like this and the electro-music Klee (i really don't want to veroboard that!!).

as for teaching people things, wow, er not about electronics Razz

Cheers,

Matte[/quote]
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
, I just started to build a quad polivox filter (based on marc bareille's design) on strip board along with a few modulation sources, I have seen a few chaos gens I like. I am also going to buy into the dot com module a month scheme just to provide a known working test-bed system for the DiY stuff like this and the electro-music Klee (i really don't want to veroboard that!!).

Marc's design is the 12dB slope LP/HP unit. Such a different approach by using the variable GBW amplifiers rather then fixed capacitors and OTA's for hte CV filter. I saw this once before but I had to go back to the web site and refresh my memory. But this is a qud version you are building. Nice ...

I just purchased what seems a real nice noise source module from Blacet. It's the Improbability Drive Module. ID2510

http://blacet.com/IDmanualBasic.pdf

It's a white noise source, sample and hold and quantizer. The quantizer follows the sample and hold and thus those values are then quantized into the chromatic scale via a small microcontroller with built in 8 bit A/D converter. The circuit uses some really different techniques to achieve it's functionality.

Thanks,
Bill
chaotician

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I just purchased what seems a real nice noise source module from Blacet. It's the Improbability Drive Module. ID2510

http://blacet.com/IDmanualBasic.pdf

Cheers for the link Bill I might check that out for a future project, I'm considering building Fritz's Chaos Module mentioned elsewhere on these forums.

Cheers

Matte [/quote]
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Cheers for the link Bill I might check that out for a future project, I'm considering building Fritz's Chaos Module mentioned elsewhere on these forums.

I thought you would like it Very Happy I will go check that "Fritz Chaos Module"

Thanks !!!
Bill
ENDIF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy crap, how'd I miss this one?
Now I have to start reading the TH forum every day or so..

This is fantastic. I've been making extensive use of a Simmons SDSV for a few years now, have owned and sold a ton of digital and analogue drum machines.. this TH percussive design sounds like exactly what I've been looking for.

Obviously, I'll need a stack of these when the PCB buy happens. ;]

http://www.endif.org
http://www.crunchpod.com
http://www.myspace.com/endif
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, Andy's had a PCB design in the can for, what, two weeks? The big holdup has been yours truly - me. I went off on some sort of tangent last weekend and did not finish my end of the work - sorry about that all.

I think it boils down to getting the schematic all worked out and checked against the board, and figuring out how to finance it. Then we'll proto and then go ahead and stick it in the store.

It is a rocking design....

Alienation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ready and waiting man...I'm down for a set. Very Happy
ENDIF

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think four should hold me, so say the word and that's in the pipe.

http://www.endif.org
http://www.crunchpod.com
http://www.myspace.com/endif
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lotta snow here in South Central Kansas today - it's a good day to curl up with the computer and try to make a halfway sensible front panel connect schematic.

Of course, at the end of the day, those building this project will benefit from Thomas' original schematic. The ancient Minnesotan software he uses is part of the charm of Studs' designs. That schematic has been in the can for ages. These schematics I've been mentioning are for translating his design to Express PCB so a PCB can be created from it. The panel parts aren't included on the PCB, so they have to be chucked out to a separate doc.

This PCB uses the Krunkomatic Connectroid System much like the Klee PCB set was done. It's actually done, but to thoroughly check it, I have to remove those panel parts and make the nets happy.

Cheerios,
Scott

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, good to hear the project is moving again Very Happy

Quote:
This PCB uses the Krunkomatic Connectroid System much like the Klee PCB set was done. It's actually done, but to thoroughly check it, I have to remove those panel parts and make the nets happy.

Yes, panel parts would best be left off the schematic since linking it to a PCB will want to see traces to those pots ... not good. Wink I would assume you plan is to create a separate front panel wire diagram like the EM Klee?

It really is worth the extra work and cost to add connectors to all module in's and out's.

Bill
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I was pleased with how the connector system worked with the Klee.

And, yep, that's why I'm doing this panel connect schematic - it'll be needed to wire up the MPS panel. Instead of redesignating the parts between board and panel, like we did with the Klee, we're preserving Thomas' original reference designators. That'll make referring to Thomas' original schematics a snap. I prefer that set to the dry, ugly ones I usually create with Express Schematic, though those will be included as well so one knows what each connector connects to.

Cheerios,
Scott

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay,
While my good friend sorts out the .sch file, here's a little teaser for you.
I know how much SDIYers like to be teased! Laughing

MPSrev105.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.58 KB
 Viewed:  749 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

MPSrev105.gif

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
While my good friend sorts out the .sch file, here's a little teaser for you.
I know how much SDIYers like to be teased!

Andy, the board REALLY is a gem !!! I commend you on your workmanship Very Happy And thanks for putting the J21 on there as well Wink Wink Wink

Bill
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

J21 is the 2 optional CV in connections.
Your extra power out connections are J19 (just nearby)
I really would have liked all the connectors to be at the edge, but I just couldn't justify shuffling everything around when that spot was already free in the middle. They're both optional, so I s'pose some people won't use them anyway.
I'm very happy with it. I just need to do the final net checks, then we can do a prototype run.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
J21 is the 2 optional CV in connections.
Your extra power out connections are J19 (just nearby)

Ah yes, see it ........ santa

Bill
Alienation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice indeed..... Shocked

Are any dimensions available yet for that pcb??

Again....Nice job.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Current dimensions are 4.45" X 3.05" (113.03 mm X 77.47 mm). You can't blame Andy for wasting fiberglass, that's for sure!

Cheerios,
Scott

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
You can't blame Andy for wasting fiberglass, that's for sure!

Laughing indeed that was my very first thought on seeing the teaser .. pretty dense & well structured at the same time.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey wow Andrew!!

This ExpressPCB thing has really gone to your head Laughing

(Or is being a projectionist any part of it too?? Shocked Rolling Eyes )

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Hey wow Andrew!!

This ExpressPCB thing has really gone to your head Laughing

(Or is being a projectionist any part of it too?? Shocked Rolling Eyes )

Well, one thing's for sure, if I could get a decent income from doing this full time, I'd be very tempted. I really enjoy it. Each one gets more satifying than the last I think. (I've only done three! Very Happy ) Na, Tom, I think I'm good at this in spite of being a projectionist, not because of it. Laughing

This one definitely felt more intuitive. I was imagining where the connectors would be handy as I worked across the board. Unlike the Klee, where I did the layout and then fitted the connectors in. Thickening the power rails makes it look so much more professional and specky. I'm still hoping to make it a little more "spot on", fixing the silkscreen layer a bit etc. But the great thing is that this "first take" is already as sexy as the Klee ended up! (well, almost) Cool

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nah, this whole thing is sexier. Very Happy
Page 4 of 31 [761 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: