electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Dropped by Turnkey to see the new stuff
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Dropped by Turnkey to see the new stuff
Subject description: Prophet, LP, OAsys, Monomachine, Spectralis
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Had to make a run into work to punch a button, grumble, it's Saturday. However my wife agreed to go with me so we could muck about downtown, which I never have time to do during the week. Reckoned I could stop by Turnkey and see what new stuff they had. Besides, they just sent a flyer out and there was supposed to be a Nord Electro Rack 2 somewhere there.

They have a Prophet 8, and a Little Phatty on the floor, one of the droids gave me a set of headphones to "play with the presets" (ha, last thing on my mind to do). Anyway I got some time with the Prophet, there is some familial resemblance to the Evolver in that the modulation paths are extensive, the filter is very warm (curtis chip, I believe), and a good compliment (4, like the evolver) of LFOs, the 16x4 sequencer, and 3 EGs, with number 3 having a fairly comprehensive modulation destination menu. More voices than the Evolver, smaller package, but I can make some direct comparisons in the architecture. Kind of like a different signal path with all of the same control path. If I hadn't bought a PEK 2 years ago, I'd have thought about a Prophet 8 now. As it is, I don't have space, time or inclination. I left that preset sounding nothing like it started as. At least I didn't save it on him.

The Phatty is cute. I can see why some would want it, it's probably a better stage instrument than the Voyager, it certainly is smaller. I don't want a LP, but I'm a picky spoiled brat.

There was a Spectralis downstairs in the DJ section. I didn't play it, some DJ was cranking out on it. Judging by the presets it sounds like we'll be able to hear it's distinctive sounds in DJ mixes, oh, any time now.

The OAsys is effin huge. And at £5400 (almost $12000) it might as well be. Arguably the best weighted keyboard in the store (there was some Yammy next to it, that sucked and the Roland 2 stands over was a plain Roland weighted board). Looks logically laid out. I'll have to make an appointment for a proper demo which also means I'll have to express real interest in it. Considering a rackmount Radias is 1/8 the cost, if I felt like going into yet another synthesis paradigm, I'd probably start there. I have enough on my plate with the Neuron I haven't learned enough about.

No sign of the Nord Electro Rack 2. My Voce Micro B died this year, and I'm missing it. Supposedly this is a B3 in a box, which in my space conscious studio might be doable. Well, it would if I could hear it. Allegedly the Rack 2X is shipping, but that implies there is some stock, which the doesn't seem to be, yet.

I hadn't been to Turnkey in about a year. Last year there was almost nothing new to see, the V-Synth stuff being about 2 years old then, and nothing interesting from anybody that I hadn't already looked at. Not from them anyway. Somewhere in the last year a truckload of new keyboards and rackmounts showed up. I could probably go back down there and have a more comprehensive look, but they seem to be reconfiguring the store again. Maybe I'll wait until after Christmas.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: