electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Nord Wave is shipping
Page 1 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject:  Nord Wave is shipping Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://www.clavia.se/main.asp

Product info:
http://clavia.com/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_Wave&clnwm=Information

So, another new product for Clavia has arrived. I send my congratulations to the entire Clavia development team for the immense efforts and dedication required to pull this off Hail the Master Hail the Master

I do hope some time will be spent on the G2 at some point, when the team has had time to fix some initial bugs and has had some well deserved rest.

/Dasz
Neon Sega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

more congratulations! Wink
G2DREAM

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really like the new web site!
I am dreaming of words like "New G2 Software Update" in the place of the Wave info. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's only half (or two-third) of a synthesizer, because the Editor isn't released yet. No way to import your own samples...

Still I have my thoughts about After Touch, how it is implemented. Not as a Morph, like on the NL3.

And will there be a Rack version?

Wout
dasz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Wout,

So you've got a Nord Wave then? Or do you simply have access to the unit?

I downloaded the manual, and it seems surprisingly short. Most of the demos I've heard, seen to be on bit on the harsh side. Not that I mind personally, but my question to you is how smooth is the sound of the wavetables (do they interpolate smoothly like in a Waldorf XT) , have there been any improvements to the filter section, and to the filter types resemble those of those found in the G2? Does as well does the same applies for the effects section like overdrive EQ and reverb?

my next question for you read is regarding the knobs -- since they are potentiometers, when you turn them, do the instantly jump to the valuable when you turn them or do you have to sweep them through the existing patch value before they take effect?

I'm not entirely sure if the Nord wave will appear in my local music stores, thus it would be cool to hear more examples than what is posted on the Clavia website -- it would also be cool to hear demos ( especially demos which illustrate how the two oscillators interact when the first one is set to wave tables and the other one is a user sample, to illustrate audio rate modulation possibilities) for all other equipment as well, as was the norm for many many years in the past...

I guess one reservation I have, having gone through the manual, is I would've preferred infinite knobs without indicators like you would find in the Waldorf XT, since the Wave has a dedicated LCD screen. But this is a personal preference only.

I guess Clavia beat Waldorf by releasing the wave before Waldorf could release the Blofeld. a quick question, does anyone know the USD price for the Nord wave? . It looks like it will cost around €2000, which is about 3000 Canadian, or 3300 US dollars Wink -- sorry but it is a strange thing to witness my currency beat the US currency in recent years. if so, it could be competition for the Stromberg which I think will cost around (???)

I wonder how the two will compare, feature wise? I guess only time will tell.

Very curious,
/Dasz

ps.: it's cool to be able to post again, ever since I got NaturallySpeaking. The only problem is I have to think before I speak//type, as I've always typed first first and then thought about/edited it later.. This will take some training, and it should make me a better public speaker Smile
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats to the Clavia team!

Now get to work on compiling the G2 Editor for Universal Binary! Wink

Some old stuff on VIRB
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
... Now get to work on compiling the G2 Editor for Universal Binary! Wink
Well, the Wave Editor is the first thing the software developers have to do now...

@dasz

No, I didn't play the Wave yet besides Frankfurt. I don't know if the knobs are immediate or hooked. But I can make an appointment to play the thing in the near future at the Dutch distributor. He lend me the Stage in Frandeux also Smile

Wout
T7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:

a quick question, does anyone know the USD price for the Nord wave? . It looks like it will cost around €2000, which is about 3000 Canadian, or 3300 US dollars Wink -- sorry but it is a strange thing to witness my currency beat the US currency in recent years. (???)

US MSRP is $3300., but street price is $2,699.00. I think I'll wait for the Stromberg.
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
... Now get to work on compiling the G2 Editor for Universal Binary! Wink
Well, the Wave Editor is the first thing the software developers have to do now...

Wout

They can just have one guy update an Ant script or something and run a compile and be done with it, right? Wink Would probably take 10 min.

Kidding!!! Laughing

Some old stuff on VIRB
dasz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout, your impressions of the Wave would be very welcome. That Dutch distributor seems like a nice company, having given us that big Stage. I think this holds true of all the Dutch people I met this summer in person (and other countries too Wink )

/Dasz
ps.: Plastic or metal? Wink
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first impressions, of course not sound wise, tells me the Manual isn't as good as the previous synths, especially compared with the NordLead 3 on which the Nord Wave is based. Par example it doesn't write anything about how many Voices are available. I suspect it is depended on the length of the used sample, but no information at all. There is no Arpeggiator, something all the Leads have. No After Touch Morphing. No software to use your own samples yet... BUT... There are a lot of nice features!

Clavia implemented the NordLead 3 FM configuration. Ay first a little hard to understand, but it works well. The Filter is much better concerning filter types then the NordLead 3. The LFO's Destination or a little less then the Lead 3, but workable. On the Wave only LFO2 is useable as an Envelope.

The Wave has a much more in the Oscillator section, for sure. There lie most of the possibililties to create sound.

The Waver is the NordLead 3's nephew Smile

Wout
martin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does it take stereo samples? I hope so, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere...
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why did they leave out essentials like keyboard-split, four-part multitimbrality, aftertouch morph, and four outputs? Rolling Eyes

And they call this progress? Confused
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Four part multitimbrality would need twice as much memory and most synth users mostly use two Slots at once. So the four Outs aren't needed then also... Maybe Keyboard Split fell due the same reason.

After Touch is indeed a draw back...

Wout
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2DREAM wrote:
I am dreaming of words like "New G2 Software Update" in the place of the Wave info. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

christ! i've not even started on patch mutations yet!!!

gomidas

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

me too Smile
G2DREAM

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
G2DREAM wrote:

christ! i've not even started on patch mutations yet!!!

me too!!! Sad Very Happy
dasz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let's not start that old thread again Wink
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
Why did they leave out essentials like keyboard-split, four-part multitimbrality, aftertouch morph, and four outputs? Rolling Eyes

And they call this progress? Confused

I do share your concern.

I do think we need to compare the Wave to the Stromberg as these are the most simmilar synths out there (any Access synth owners out there agree?)

There are some major differences though as the Wave does support samples, which the Stromberg does not (as far as I can tell), but then the Stromberg offers more features (based on preliminary information only, see below)

Let's look at the two synths side by side:

Nord Wave
- MSRP $3300 (street is about $2699 (NovaMusic)
- tight, clean, sound (Wout, do you agree?)
- transparent filters (Wout, do you agree?)
- 2 Oscillators - Shaping available only on Pulse Width, glide
- 2 part multi-timbral
- 32 wave tables (no interpolation between them, no user wavetables?)
- user samples (multi samples) - with ability to toggle playback start between sample start or loop start.
- sample editing on PC/Mac via Nord Wave editor
- FM, Phase Mod, Sync
- 1 filter per voice - 5 filter types 12/24 selectable - LP,HP,BP Comb, Multi, Vocal filters
- eq, chorus, delay, OD, and Reverb
- no arpeggiator
- morphing
- 2 outputs
- no inputs
- USB for external editing
- all parameters editable from front panel

- no plugins

Waldorf Stromberg (preliminary spec only)
- MSRP $3999 (street price $2919 -- speculated only based on Q+ MSRP vs street comparison example from matrix synth, where street = .73 * MSRP )
- sound - rich, evolving, thick based on hearing the Blofeld on you tube video
- liquid waldorf filters (based on the ones from existing synths and plugins which are being integrated into the synth)
- 16 part multi timbral
- 3 oscillators, with shaping (including wave shaping), glide
- wavetables with interpolation assuming wave knob interpolates the wavetable selected, & ability to add user wavetables? (speculation only)
- wavetable/waveform?? editing possible from front panel??? (youtube video)
- FM, sync, ringmod
- 2 independent multi mode filters - LP, BP, HP, Notch, Cascade filters with 12/24 db, PPG filter 24 dB, comb filter positive / negative feedback, analog filter with analog distortion
- arpeggiator with user pattern, freely programmable including accent, position, length, glide, chords, random notes etc.
- effects - chorus, flanger, phaser,distortion,ring modulation, stereo delay, tap delay, surround delay, vocoder, reverb, tube distortion
- output configuration switchable between stereo and surround
- 6 analog outputs (3 x stereo)
- 2 analog inputs (1 x stereo)
- tube and analog filter plug ins optional
- many parameters controllable from front panel,some accessible from menus only (assumption based on other waldorf products with large panels and menus -- in my case the waldorf xt)

To me, if Stromberg lives up to the promises (and a lot of this work is already going into the Blofeld), the Wave will have some serious competition to deal with.

Fortunately, Clavia has a well established reputation and history, and Waldorf has had problems in the past and is just now returning to the market (but then the Waldorf sound is something of pure magic).

Only time will tell - will it be red or white? I will let you make up your own mind.
/Dasz

sources:

Nord Wave:
http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?type=Model&keyword=3439&mid=27
http://www.clavia.se/downloads/manuals/nord%20wave/nord%20wave%20v1.0x%20(eng).pdf

Waldorf Stromberg/Blofeld:
http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2007/01/new-waldorf-msrps.html
ttp://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/products/stromberg
http://www.waldorfmusic.de/assets/images/products/stromberg/stromberg_top_full.png
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqmNOXLtn4E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gyqkdPeG94
doctorno

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
To me, if Stromberg lives up to the promises (and a lot of this work is already going into the Blofeld), the Wave will have some serious competition to deal with.

Hmm, to my ears the Waldorfs did never sound as convincing as the Nords. Who cares if the Stromberg has more possibilities, as long as the Wave just sounds better?
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

doctorno wrote:
dasz wrote:

Hmm, to my ears the Waldorfs did never sound as convincing as the Nords. Who cares if the Stromberg has more possibilities, as long as the Wave just sounds better?

You should gang up with Blofeld though. Together you'll defeat Bond easily. Wink

/Stefan

T7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
doctorno wrote:
dasz wrote:

You should gang up with Blofeld though. Together you'll defeat Bond easily. Wink

/Stefan

Looks like Blofeld has become the competition, though it doesn't say anything about user waves ATM: http://www.sequencer.de/blog/?p=2277
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One of the things clavia should really learn is to make some better audio examples.
I really hope the real stuff sounds A LOT better!
Maybe it's personal taste but these examples sound rather digital and harsh to my ears. Sad
electroboz

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mother misty wrote:
One of the things clavia should really learn is to make some better audio examples.
I really hope the real stuff sounds A LOT better!
Maybe it's personal taste but these examples sound rather digital and harsh to my ears. Sad

I agree whole heartedly.
i opened the trumpet sample in audacity and it was setting off the clipping indicator almost constantly.
dasz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also agree wrt to the "harsh" quality of the demos.

Wrt to the quality of factory soundsets, you have to remember that people who contribute to it are essentially giving their sound design tricks away for all (who buy the synth) to see/use/perform with. I had to hold back quite a bit when I did the G2 factory sound set patches. It is amusing that some of my factory patches ended up in commercials or TV shows (which I do not get paid for).

Clavia has in the past posted sound examples and then posted the patches used to do them, so that might explain some things.

The kick ass sounds are typically saved for commercial patch libraries, or for people who wanted me to do custom sound design.

I've heard some demos of the Blofeld synth, and got a simmilar impression (ok the sounds were not too harsh), but the quality and diversity was consistent with other factory demos mp3's for other gear.

Yeah, I'd love to do some new sound design for Clavia, but the choice is up to them.
/Dasz
Page 1 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: