electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
The GM Voice
Page 2 of 13 [305 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've attached the front panel design I used, in case anyone wants to duplicate or modify it. It's in MS Word format. I printed it in color on full sheet sticky-back material, laminated with a full sheet clear sticky-back, and slapped it on to the aluminum panel which fits on the front of a plastic box.

I'm continuing to find new things in this project; it really is one of the more rewarding things I've ever built for the studio. Tomorrow a full 88 key, velocity sending, semi-weighted keyboard arrives and then I'll go to town! Total cost is:

$10 for the daughterboard
$15 for auxiliary parts
$200 for full 88 key MIDI keyboard

For a total of $225 I will have a complete 24 note polyphonic synth with over 200 patches!

Wow! Why did I wait so long?

Thomas Henry

GM Voice Panel.doc
 Description:
Color, front panel design, in MS Word format.

Download
 Filename:  GM Voice Panel.doc
 Filesize:  22 KB
 Downloaded:  1193 Time(s)

Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! Am I sailing now!

My new keyboard arrived today. It's a full-sized M-Audio, 88 key, semi-weighted, velocity sending unit, with all sorts of MIDI buttons and wheel controls. I only paid $200 postpaid for the thing, new.

I immediately patched it to the GM Voice and have been in seventh heaven all night.

I'm quite sure my inadequate words haven't conveyed what this project represents. So, you'll just have to take it from me that is the acme of any synth project I've ever been involved in. I wish I had done it ten years ago when Antman first proposed it---my recordings would have been far more advanced early on.

By the way, I haven't been able to get reverb or chorus either, and for that matter portamento hasn't appeared either.

But I can do pan, vibrato and volume okay.

More to come, later---this project just keeps a-growing...

Thomas Henry
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, you can access all of the voices from the keyboard, then?
How many notes polyphony can you get?

My, my....

Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
So, you can access all of the voices from the keyboard, then?
How many notes polyphony can you get?

Yes, all voices are available from the keyboard, so even if you don't like MIDI you are in business with the following setup: one GM Voice, one M-Audio keyboard and one single MIDI cable connecting the two. No computer or software is needed!

You get 24 note polyphony of some 256 sounds (including a ton of excellent drums) on any of the 16 channels. And you get three controllers thrown in for good measure.

Again, you don't even have to think of this as a MIDI setup. It's simply a fullblown synth that you happen to put together as a voice unit independent of the keyboard.

Scott, don't be a pea brain like I was for ten years; you really ought to move this to the top of your to-do list pronto. You won't believe how far you can make ten bucks stretch.

More applications to come later...I keep discovering all sorts of neat ways to use the thing, even more than I've discovered with that glow-in-the dark triple invader you gave me for Christmas last year.

Thomas Henry
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno, ten bucks...that's a lot of dosh Very Happy

I've been dreaming of buying an inexpensive digital synth to use as a MIDI controller, and give me some built-in polyphony, too. One of those mini Korg thingies with the tiny keys (tiny keys don't bother me, after what I'm using now, Schroeder's piano would be like playing a Steinway). They're, what, $300 or $400 bucks or something like that. Or, a little more money would get one of those Roland SH-201s. Can you tell I'm really up on commericial synths? Laughing

My DW6000 has MIDI, and I've controlled the Roland Sound Canvas with it before, but the DW6K didn't seem to have any way to access all of the voices on the SC.

Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I've spent the past couple of weeks recording a new song with the GM Voice, and let me tell you, this has really changed how I approach things now. Hands-down, this is the most useful music circuit in my system.

I thought I would mention that the reset button is actually pretty handy. The GM Voice so far has worked flawlessly. But user error (me) occasionally will interrupt the Cakewalk sequencer at an awkward moment. This might leave the GM Voice wondering what volume it should be at. (Last night, for example, I interrupted Cakewalk after it had turned the bass guitar volume down---of course, when I resumed, no bass could be heard).

Anyway, a quick punch of the button and we're back in business. It makes an excellent "get back to normal" feature, requiring no thought.

Thomas Henry
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just got a db50XG so i will join the club soon. i wonder how to add an mono output: just mixing both channels? or should i add some phaseshifting to one channel before mixing to eliminate possible cancelation of the signals?
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good job, Fonik. I think you'll get a real kick out of this circuit.

Actually, the circuit already has two mono outputs (and one stereo output if you'd prefer to use it instead), so you won't have to change anything. Just send a MIDI controller pan to the GM Voice.

For example, if you want a mono trumpet output, just send the MIDI message to pan it all the way to the left and use that output jack.

As a bonus, you can MIDI pan another sound (a saxophone, say) all the way to the right, thus getting two independent voices on separate outputs, perfect for shooting straight to a mixer.

Anyway, you shouldn't have to change anything. And if it isn't clear, you can just leave the stereo jack out if you never do stereo things. A person would never use the two mono outputs and the stereo output at the same time, anyway.

Now, as promised, attached is an instrument definition file that will save everyone some typing. You use this with MIDI-Ox, a superior piece of free software, to easily control the GM Voice from a computer. It gives you easy access to the two-hundred some sounds inside the unit.

I adapted this file from one used with old versions of Cakewalk. It's an ordinary text file, so you can feel free to load it up in a text editor and modify it as desired (like I did). When you're ready to use it with MIDI-Ox, rename it with a .ins extension. This stands for instrument definition file, obviously. Store it in the INS directory within MIDI-Ox.

That's it for the downloads. Everything should be in place for anyone desiring to build this creature: schems, PCB artwork, front panel graphics, pics and the instrument definition file.

Thomas Henry

Instruments.txt
 Description:
Instrument Definition File for the GM Voice.
This is an ordinary text file. Rename it to "Instruments.ins" before using with MIDI-Ox.

Download
 Filename:  Instruments.txt
 Filesize:  17.61 KB
 Downloaded:  1428 Time(s)

Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm currently dinking around with another daughterboard, trying to make it do some neat stuff in an old, unused 486 machine. I ran across this great article tonight which shows some mods that might be useful to anyone playing with daughterboards.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/feb97/soundcards.html

One of the fun aspects of playing with these is searching for Easter eggs...you never know what you're going to find. So it's back to the basement to look for more myself...

Thomas Henry
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If anyone is interested in a db50XG Yamaha board, and are willing to risk an ebay sale from Shanghai (please spare me the jokes), you can try:

link

A little rich for me after shipping, but I'm not exactly known as someone who's loose with their cash!

[Blue Hell: shortened the link]
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For anyone interested, here is a link for the Yamaha DB50XG manual. This is the unit being sold on Ebay that Antman is talking about.

http://www.usersmanualguide.com/yamaha_audio/computer_peripheral_devices/db50xg

Bill
fonik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i bought one 2 weeks ago. the specs are impressive. i just etched me a motherboard with thomas' circuit to carry the db50xg and to add it to my modular...

BTW did anyone measure the current the GM needs?

Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On my unit +12V was at about 80mA (of which around half is due to the +5V regulator it drives). -12V was at virtually nothing.

One could use a 79L12 for the negative regulator, but the others should probably be 7812 and 7805 to avoid the need for heat sinks.

Thomas Henry
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antman Dan just enabled me to go down this road. This looks like a lotta fun!
fonik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas Henry wrote:
On my unit +12V was at about 80mA (of which around half is due to the +5V regulator it drives). -12V was at virtually nothing.

One could use a 79L12 for the negative regulator, but the others should probably be 7812 and 7805 to avoid the need for heat sinks.

Thomas Henry

great, thomas. good to know. i already made the layout for 7812/7912/7805, so i will be fine then. and the power one will do the job for the whole cabinet without stress.

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for this Thomas and Antman -
I'm still trying to locate a daughterboard that's appropriately cheap - but it looks like a project that would make my wife really pleased. And that's rare. Wink

bruce
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey RF,

I hope you find a board, for this is truly one of the sleeper projects of the decade. I suppose pleasing a wife can be seen as the sweetener, but for my part it's being able to do large, orchestral recording now. I still can't believe I ignored Antman for so long; this is the project that changed the way I do music.

And by the way, how far north are you? I keep hoping for some of that -60 degrees that hit Tower a while back. It aids our reputation, don't you think?

Happy GM-ing,

Thomas Henry
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:

great, thomas. good to know. i already made the layout for 7812/7912/7805, so i will be fine then. and the power one will do the job for the whole cabinet without stress.

You might have missed the first page of this thread. In there I give some more details on the regulators, currents and power supply. Check it out for additional info. But just in general, this is a low current project.

Thomas Henry
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas Henry wrote:
Hey RF,
And by the way, how far north are you? I keep hoping for some of that -60 degrees that hit Tower a while back. It aids our reputation, don't you think?

Hi Thomas,
Well - Tower is south of me. I live about 8 miles south of the Canadian border. I remember that day well - we had a dogsled race the next day that I was supposed to help with. I think it warmed up to 50 below Shocked by race time... but they called it off anyway. The town I work in has a reputation for cold - so the city fathers love it when it gets crazy cold.

My wife doesn't show much interst in patching the modular - so lots of great sounds from something she can easily use is quite welcome.

I'll look for your visit if we hit -40 or less.... Confused

bruce
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If anyone is interested in a db50XG Yamaha board, and are willing to risk an ebay sale from Shanghai (please spare me the jokes), you can try:

This one seems to have been sold but you will find that on this page, there is one more link that has an auction for 2 more from the same seller (I bought one of them just now Very Happy ) This way I will have (2) since Antman os sending me one more ....... Cool This really is quite a nice compact little surface mount PC board .....

db50xg.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.1 KB
 Viewed:  61212 Time(s)

db50xg.JPG

Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A little more detail on the power supply:

Since the drain is so low, a person could use the smaller 78Lxx/79xx series for all three regulators. However, the +12V side is pushing 80mA, which really should call for a heatsink with this smaller regulator. (I believe the part is rated at 100mA). Rather than do that, I simply used the larger 78xx/79xx units which have more surface area. Heat sinks are not required, and indeed the chips run dead cool. I sort of felt things would be simpler and take less room in the long run if I did it that way.

Thomas Henry
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to second Thomas' recommendation on power supply voltage regulators, I've used the 7805, 7812 and 7912 regulators without heatsinks on the Yamaha db50XG board, (which is the largest daughterboard I've used to date), with the same results: they all run cool.
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, attached is an .mp3 file of a song which illustrates just a fraction of what the GM-Voice is capable of (and I mean that...this thing's got features that just go on and on).

In the tune you'll hear the GM-Voice doing:

tenor sax
English horn
bassoon
harpsichord
brass section
tubular bells
reed organ
bottle blow
acoustic bass
violin
vibraphone

Other instruments include a Casio CZ-1000 doing the harmonic lead, sfz (free software synth on laptop) doing tympani, triangle and assorted percussion, and a Les Paul guitar. The song was recorded on a Boss BR-600, using a DOS Cakewalk sequencer running on an old 486 machine.

Please note that all of this is going on real time---there was no multitracking or bouncing! The GM-Voice is capable of doing a minimum of 24 simultaneous voices. As I've mentioned before, this is the best 25 bucks I've ever spent and I regret not listening to Antman some ten years ago when he first proposed the project.

I've just scratched the surface of what thing's capable of, but perhaps this song will give you a feel even if you don't like the tune.

Play it loud!

Thomas Henry

Saucy Jack.mp3
 Description:
"Saucy Jack," (c) 2007 Thomas Henry. For personal use only; please don't copy.
Illustrating just a few of things the GM-Voice can do...

Download
 Filename:  Saucy Jack.mp3
 Filesize:  2.66 MB
 Downloaded:  1850 Time(s)

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Frikkin awesome Cool
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, fantastically composed !!! I am impressed most by the drum tracks composition and the sounds this thing can create ! Cool Bravo !

Bill
Page 2 of 13 [305 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: