electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Hifi Tube Amp Kits??
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
creekree

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Hifi Tube Amp Kits??
Subject description: i need a pointing in the right direction
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi all,

i was thinking that it would be nice to replace my 20 year old crappy amp that is beginning to have .. issues.. with a nice tube amp - diy, of course.
does someone know of a kit available? there seem to be kits for guitar amps, but that is obviously not what i want.

i am looking for a stereo amp, it only needs two line inputs and maybe a phono input for my thorens record player (my tech12s will of course be running through my dj mixer) and volume control. thats it.

i have not made extensive research on the net yet, but there are sooo many options and different approaches it seems, so it is easy to get lost.
bear in mind that i know next to nothing about tubes.

so yeah, essentially i'd be happy if someone could sent me a link and tell me "this kit is great, because of..."

i am not completely mad - you wont find me spending 500$ for a wooden volume knob (remember that one? crazy audiophiles!), so pleae dont hurl 4000$- solutions in my face Wink

cheers, chris
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are some very recent/onging tube amp projects in Elektor. Check it out.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey don't go there! Very Happy

www.tubecad.com is the supreme resource
and buy the Morgan Jones books whatever they cost...

don't expect to have a simple solution...this is a whole arena of endeavour..there aren't any quick fixes.
Hardly anybody uses kits because the simplicity of the circuit and bulk of the parts.
Spend big on output transformers....EDCOR seem to be the best value in the states...the price goes stratospheric quickly.
Bare in mind you'll need efficient speakers if you use a relatively low HT class A,those guitar amps are50W class AB2 with 500V HT...not ideal for beginners.Hifi can't use such crude amplication.
So you may need horn speakers,which aren't the best solution for slam unless you build your house round them...so an active sub may be in order.

My monoblocks are 6SL7-6SN7 Aikido voltage amps into 6A3 PSE output for 6W.All AC heaters.Separate pre and power supplies with 2X
5AR4 and two 10H chokes.Audio Note output transformers.Another LT transformer underneath and the mighty polypropylene caps.Oak and perspex finish.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

One monoblock.35kg 16"x16".
Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: