electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Piano
Electric piano model
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Electric piano model Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first attempt at electric piano modeling. Here we go:

The pure fundamental is the only mode that can reside within a vibrating tine -like a tuning fork. Therefore, it's easily modelled with a single resonant filter, excitated by a "hammer" impulse. The resonance itself is controlled by a keyboard-gated AR envelope, and with each key release, a shapabale "damper noise" is triggered into the system as the resonance dies down. This models the damper touching the tine.

The characteristic overtones of a electric piano are caused by the interaction between the vibrating tine and the electromagnetic pickup. I attempted to model this by modulating the phase of a PhaseOsc at 0 Hz with the tine signal and adding asymmetric distortion. Since lower tines generate a higher vibration amplitude, I added keyboard-morph to the mod amount. It might have been more correct to morph the tine amplitude, but it works both ways.

IMPORTANT: The outputs of the voices are NOT gated by a master VCA. They all run straight together, just like in a "real" e-piano. That's the reason for the "thump" when you load this patch: That's the PhaseOsc of all voices being synced to zero (otherwise you get DC). Also there is a clicking sound when playing the first 19 notes -that's the voices that are being used for the first time. Afterwards they are OK.

It doesn't sound like a Fender Rhodes replica, but it has the right kind of "playing response" and "feeling". I added some characteristic processing, too. It's a very simple model. I kept it as simple as possible, in order to get many voices. It gets 19 voices from an unexpanded G2 -not bad at all.

tim

ElectricPiano2TK.pch2
 Description:
electric piano model using basic modal synthesis

Download
 Filename:  ElectricPiano2TK.pch2
 Filesize:  2.17 KB
 Downloaded:  2722 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is very interesting to me. Many techniques here I need to learn. It's such a simple patch, but so expressive if you get in and fool with the parameters.

It sounds more organlike than piano like. How can you adjust the decay time (key held down).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bj2001

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great
u did a good job.
really sounds good. Surprised

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
How can you adjust the decay time (key held down).

Well, since -at the core- it is a excitated resonating filter rather than oscillator, decay time is not arbitrarily controlled by an envelope time. Instead it's the amount of resonance (feedback of energy) which determines the decay time -just like in the real world.

The resonance however is controlled by a ramp envelope which keeps the resonance constant as long as the key is depressed and fades out quite quickly after release, which models the damping procedure. So, if you crank up the release time somewhat ("TineDamp Release"), it sound like the dampers don't work properly anymore when releasing a key. ("Ah -time for servicing!" Rolling Eyes ) I will try to randomize these things in a patch update, so each key behaves a bit differently in this respect, as well as concerning hammer and (de-)tuning-just like in a "real" electric piano.

So: it's the "Res M" knob on the UI which controls the decay, as this determines how long the oscillation can reside within the "tine filter". By default this is at maximum, If you play notes and decrease this value at the same time, you can hear the way the tines get more and more 'damped'. They get struck allright, but they deteriorate more quickly into a "thuck" -like if you damp the tines with your hand. With "Res M" at half, you only have "thucks" left.

Quote:
sounds more organlike than piano like.

...as I say: it's my first try. I'm a "beginner" at this too -was just trying to get the basic concept right. Now's the time for embellishments, as mentioned above. They will cost polyphony, but oh well Rolling Eyes -I'll try to keep it at 16 voices -hopefully. Also I'll try some other approaches to the pickup, and the "hammer" and "damper" too. I really want to get that "bark" nailed. It's a fun project.

tim
stiiiiiiive

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tim.

I had tried your Wurlitzer yet, but not this one. I've just got so much fun with it ! And I did not even touch the model parameters...

A contrario, I've made some adds in the FX section: there is a distortion selector now. Why ? Because I added along to your saturate module the Rob's soft clipper, as well as a little loop in order to use an extern unit (I own a SansAmp...).

The only Var 1 is modified. New parameters are mapped on page E3.

electricPno2tk+.pch2
 Description:
Tim's first electric piano model (electricpiano_tk) with the Rob's soft clipper and an external loop as alternative distorsions.

Download
 Filename:  electricPno2tk+.pch2
 Filesize:  3.09 KB
 Downloaded:  1976 Time(s)

Lawx and Mowk
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy shi... it's amazing! Merci beaucoup tout le monde!!!

Some old stuff on VIRB
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Piano
Jump to: