electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
5-channel Attenuverting AC/DC Mixer PROFESSIONAL PCBs
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 7 [162 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: 5-channel Attenuverting AC/DC Mixer PROFESSIONAL PCBs
Subject description: interest in a 2nd run?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

up and running!

this is an attenuverting mixer. one attenuverter for each input. all attenuverted signals where summed, as long as the appropriate single output is not used (switching jack sockets). the summed signal is switchable from AC to DC. in AC mode the summed signal goes goes thru a cap. in DC mode the the cap is bypassed and the signal is also routed to a LED driver indicating the positive or negative parts of the signal.

since there is enough interest i do a run of professional manufactured PCBs, providing MTA connectors for all controls. this is an easy to build project, no obsolete, expensive or hard to find parts.
the boards should be available on 10 DEC 07. i will populate and test at least one PCB before taking money, paypal preferred.

pricing (preleminary):

europe
9.-EUR each PCB
+1x p&p 3.-EUR (2.50EUR germany)

worldwide
13.-USD each PCB
+1x p&p 7.-USD

so here is the documentation (EDIT: draft v2):
draft v2

PCB preview:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen..

PROTOTYPE v1
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

PROTOTYPE v1

PROTOTYPE v1

Last edited by fonik on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:38 am; edited 21 times in total
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very sweet and I'd wager will turn out to be one of your most used modules!
etaoin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For a moment I thought I had found a use for my center tapped pots, but it appears not...

But I need at least two of these anyway I fear Very Happy

By the way, is that still unprotected copper?

Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congratulations!

If you make PCBs for the public (hint hint! Very Happy ) I'd have an immediate use for two of them. Maybe more.
prophei

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
Congratulations!

If you make PCBs for the public (hint hint! Very Happy ) I'd have an immediate use for two of them. Maybe more.

another great module! i would put myself in the same place as mr. peake here... at least 2 of them!
slo

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lovely module, well done, I like the LED's touch, you cannot have enough blinky lights in my opinion.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin wrote:
For a moment I thought I had found a use for my center tapped pots, but it appears not...

But I need at least two of these anyway I fear Very Happy

By the way, is that still unprotected copper?

Unprotected copper?? Wink Does that mean that I SHOULD be spraying each of my self-made PCBs with the conformal coating silicon spray that I bought, 2 years ago - and haven't gotten around to using yet? Very Happy

(Serious question. Just looking for input. Smile )
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

slo wrote:
Lovely module, well done, I like the LED's touch, you cannot have enough blinky lights in my opinion.

Heh. Check out the videos of my modular in the Design section of my webpage: http://deathlehem.com/wsb4569662402/design.html

Lots and lots of blinky lights. Very Happy (Will be many more coming, in my MFOS Sequencer and Klee sequencer. Very Happy )
fonik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:
Etaoin wrote:
...By the way, is that still unprotected copper?

Unprotected copper?? Wink Does that mean that I SHOULD be spraying each of my self-made PCBs with the conformal coating silicon spray that I bought, 2 years ago - and haven't gotten around to using yet? Very Happy

protect from what? it is soldered so i would not care about stain...

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:

That's part of my curiosity. I do have 1 PCB prototype for a multiple-vowel filter that I'd done in '95 or so. The copper has held out fine. Barely tarnished.

Curious as well as - I've done 1 panel, using 1 of the many 15"x9" single sided copper boards that I have - for mounting controls to. I'm seriously considering using another to mount the controls for my MFOS Sequencer to. Gives a nice look. Smile Wondering there - if I should coat it with my sili. spray. There though - I don't know if the spray has any flexibility - which the panel itself would have happening - when switches are used; plugs pushed in / pulled out. Hmmmmm ..... ???
etaoin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Protect from the environment. I just repaired a Korg M500. The component side of that PCB is also not protected and it had many tracks turned green and eaten away by corrosion.

It would depend on your environment though. This Korg was probably stored in the wrong place.

softfin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought some protective laqcuer and have recently sprayed my pcbs with it.
Smells terrible, so if anyone decides to use such spray, it's definately better to spray it anywhere else but not inside your house.
etaoin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I use a PCB coating from Kontakt that smells like paint (and not the water based ones) only more intensly so. I can hardly use that indoors either.
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think I've actually got what an attenuverter is... Embarassed

Is it an attenuator followed by an inverting op amp? Confused

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a schematic for this unit available? I'm curious as well.

EDIT...Duh Just re-read the top post and saw that it says "Schematic will be uploaded soon".
fonik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pehr wrote:
I don't think I've actually got what an attenuverter is... Embarassed

Is it an attenuator followed by an inverting op amp? Confused

he he. an attenuverter gives both: attenuation of the original and the inverted signal. say pot in middle position: no signal, pot clockwise: original signal, pot counterclockwise: inverted signal. in other words: each channel allows you to invert and/or attenuate the signal...

fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:

EDIT...Duh Just re-read the top post and saw that it says "Schematic will be uploaded soon".

ken stone shows one way of doing something similar on his DC Mixer page... the additional pots in red... but i really like your inclusion of individual outs, fonik.

actually, you could implement this using a pair of ken's Dev-mod Mixer/Inverter blocks... i keep on thinking of uses for those, gotta pick some up next order.

yet another addition to the "to do" list (happy sigh).

b
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
pot in middle position: no signal, pot clockwise: original signal, pot counterclockwise: inverted signal.

Nice! Cool

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
Sound

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congratulations fonik,

Four for me Very Happy

Is difficult to add an "all input" for multiplying signals?
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbob wrote:
Danno Gee Ray wrote:

ken stone shows one way of doing something similar on his DC Mixer page... the additional pots in red... but i really like your inclusion of individual outs, fonik.

ken stones circuit (red components) allows no attenuation: you just fade the signal from pos to neg (or inverted). my module gives both, attenuation and, if desired, invertion.

fonik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sound wrote:
Is difficult to add an "all input" for multiplying signals?

certainly not! that would be just a multiplier: add a socket and wire it to all individual inputs (you may want to use switching sockets here as well).

frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:

ken stones circuit (red components) allows no attenuation: you just fade the signal from pos to neg (or inverted). my module gives both, attenuation and, if desired, invertion.

Not following what you are saying. In Ken's unit, the signal is zero when the pot is centered. So it looks to me like it both attenuates and inverts.

Very Happy

Ian
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
fonik wrote:

Not following what you are saying. In Ken's unit, the signal is zero when the pot is centered. So it looks to me like it both attenuates and inverts.

Very Happy

Ian

Embarassed thank you, ian. so the signal actually cancels itself out? is that correct?

frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
so the signal actually cancels itself out? is that correct?

Right. With the pot centered equal signals are sent to "B" and "C", one of which inverts, so the two branches cancel.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A spiffy variation would be to normal +5V (or more) through a 1K resistor to one of the input jacks. That gives you the ability to offset the mix +/-5 Volts (or more) when mixing CVs without plugging a DC voltage in. Of course, plugging something into that input would disable the DC function and handle the signal as usual.

For example, that would be handy for inverting an EG applied to one input, and offsetting it + with the normalled control, or putting a DC offset to a bipolar LFO for trill fx on a VCO.

Banana jackers (or non-bananjackers) could switch the offset in with a switch.

Ciaorioios,
Scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 7 [162 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: