electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Mac Pro up^grade rooooomers booomers, stoooooooooomerss....
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jordpeck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Mac Pro up^grade rooooomers booomers, stoooooooooomerss....
Subject description: ???????????????
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A few people have told me the Mac Pros are supposed to be upgrading soon... Anyone have more definite info on that?

Project update:

I've been away from electronics for awhile. Welding things & practicing my drums. Found that I enjoy wearing my earplugs almost all the time now. Roun the house, specially at Walmart! Things have been working out much better than I'd planned. New and more clever ideas seem to spawn when you are in the midst of things I guess. Anyway, wish I could send pics but now I must wait on patents! eeesh! In light of all this I've chosen to go with a Mac Book Pro as I will not be needing so many VSTs! and seeing as it is more portable, coffee shop friendly, it seems like the better choice... Feels good to know you I can go so much further with things but in actuality there is no need to! I am ready to join the digital age though. Beem me up Scotty! I will of course upload sound clips once I get the book and figure out how to use this Fireface 800 thingy muhgiger.

I'm assuming these so-called upgrades do apply to the Mac Book Pro's too correct??? Should I wait so I can be on the "bleeding edge"??? I could prolly practice these drums for another month straight before I've worked all the bugs out and kicked that one armed Def Leopard drummer off his chair...
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.appleinsider.com/
http://macrumors.com/
http://www.macosrumors.com/
http://www.thinksecret.com/
http://notes.thinksecret.com/

You should find some stuff there.
Wink

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jordpeck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mmm, Nov.... that's this month.

Just in time for my b-day!
jordpeck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(and yes I will be turning 21!)
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be more inclined to wait for this;

Quote:
Apple will unveil an ultraportable Mac in January, according to AppleInsider. The rumours and news website claims that the 13in laptop will be 50 per cent lighter and "strikingly slimmer" than the 15in MacBook Pro, currently the most compact of the Mac range.
Analysts have been talking up the prospect of an ultraportable Mac laptop for many months. Shaw Wu of American Technology Research suggested in March that Apple would introduce a machine in "a new subnotebook form factor that will use Nand flash as primary storage", comments that were echoed in July by UBS analyst Ben Reitzes.

AppleInsider believes that it can now be taken as read that Apple "is gearing up for a grand introduction during January's Macworld Expo in San Francisco", which which runs from 15 to 18 January.

The report agrees that the ultraportable will to some extent use flash memory, though that could come on one of two forms. Apple could opt to use it exclusively, doing away with the traditional hard disk drive (HDD) in favour of a solid state drive (SSD). SSD's have four major advantages over HDD's. They are lighter, use less

power, faster - giving almost instantaneous startup and more robust, since they have no moving parts. An alternative is to use hybrid drives, that combine and HDD with a flash cache that can be used to store frequently accessed files and date for fast access.

More radical would be AppleInsider's suggestion that Apple will dispense with an optical drive, in order to enable them to make the machine as slim as possible. This does of course prompt the question: how do you reinstall the operating system or large applications? An external drive would be an inelegant solution but USB flash drives do provide a ready-made alternative.

Apple's last subnotebook was the PowerBook 2400 [see pic], released in 1997, though the more recent 12in PowerBook G4 could lay some claim to the title. And nostalgists will recall the eMate, which was based on the company's short-lived Newton platform.

The PC world has recently been abuzz with talk of Asus's new ultraportable, the £183 Eee PC, though for that price you get just 4GB of flash storage. more than half of which is taken up by the Linux operating system. Apple is unlikely to pursue the same budget approach, not when 16GB and 32GB SSDs are readily available.

Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I read about that one. Some good ideas there; I know I took the CD drive out of my own laptop to save weight and because it hardly got used as well so I can only agree there. Of course as somebody who likes Linux and who is on a budget I like the Asus idea as well. I wonder how much power these will sacrifice for the weight and size.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: