electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Analog XOR
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:

On further note - given more thought earlier today, once I've successfully breadboarded Ian's for testing - I'm going to go with a dual version, ALONG with a 633 RM in the same panel. I bought 3 of the chips earlier this year. Figured it'd be a cool combination along with 2 of Ian's. Smile (Full patching availability for mixes / etc.)

Good thinking... That will be a nice module. thumb up

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Rykhaard wrote:

On further note - given more thought earlier today, once I've successfully breadboarded Ian's for testing - I'm going to go with a dual version, ALONG with a 633 RM in the same panel. I bought 3 of the chips earlier this year. Figured it'd be a cool combination along with 2 of Ian's. Smile (Full patching availability for mixes / etc.)

Good thinking... That will be a nice module. thumb up

Thanks much Howard! I'd originally thought of doing a triple ring mod. and that's why I'd ordered 3 of them. Now though, with Ian's great posting, I thought it to be cooler possibilities with 2 of his and 1 AD633 RM. Smile

Always looking for ways to twist things. Wink
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, I think I'm going to build a stripboard of this. It's tiny and will fit with minimal fuss in a rack panel with my SN-Voice pair. It really doesn't sound like anything else I have, it's cool and edgy.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

btw.:
i have drawn a little pcb layout with Print mounted sockets and pot for Eurorack format. ( would also fit into a frac custom panel )
But it is without the CV input.

is that necessary ?

if anybody is interested for that _untested_ layout and _without_ the Cv input,
i can post it.
It is made with sprint layout 5 for which a read only version is free available at abacom

i will draw it with the CV input later.
On the actual layout there was no space to integrate it for fast
( the goal was the printmounting for the pot and the sockets because of fast building and much less errors )

ahh, it has 2 out sockets and one is with bypass switch ( that should also fit for a printmount switch )
ohh, and it has power connecters for Motm, Dotcom and doepfer.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you should post it.
Cool

Home,My Studio,and another view
Funky40

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, comments are in the file window

as sayed: absolutely untested.
Print it first out and check the circuit AND the spacings.
I will give it another look later ( maybe in January )
I'm into other projects now, and my frined who is etching for me has no time now.
this draw was just a spontaneous action Wink

here is the link to the free viewer software from abacom:
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html

if the CV input is necessary i will redraw it then with that

analog XOR, EM.JPG
 Description:
screenshot of my drawing you find in the RAR file
 Filesize:  268.15 KB
 Viewed:  611 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

analog XOR, EM.JPG

XORanalog, postet at EM.rar
 Description:
My drawing is absolutely untested.
Also the spacing for the Cliff minijacks, and the spacing for the print switch for bypassing.
the link to the free viewer software is above

Download
 Filename:  XORanalog, postet at EM.rar
 Filesize:  15.84 KB
 Downloaded:  637 Time(s)

Terrafractyl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Escuse my Noob schematic Question here but I stumbled across this circuit and really want to put one together.

My question is regarding the shape pot(?) in the top right of the schematic.

Does this mean the wiper of the shape pot is wired to the + 12 rail and the Input is wired to the ground??
very confused.

and regarding the power symbols generally.... When they point up does this mean the positive rail and downward pointing symbols represent the -12 rail?

any clarification would be greatly appreciated, just when i thought I'd gotten the hang of reading simple schematics, it seems there are many ways and symbols for similar things Mad
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Terrafractyl wrote:
Does this mean the wiper of the shape pot is wired to the + 12 rail and the Input is wired to the ground??

Ah, it means that the wiper is connected to one end of the pot thus forming a variable resistor. Afraid I don't remember which end. Try each and see which you like best. Very Happy

Quote:
and regarding the power symbols generally.... When they point up does this mean the positive rail and downward pointing symbols represent the -12 rail?

Yes, that's the convention I use. It's quite common but not universal. Also the connections of the opamps to the power supplies are not shown when they are obvious.

Quote:
any clarification would be greatly appreciated, just when i thought I'd gotten the hang of reading simple schematics, it seems there are many ways and symbols for similar things Mad

Yep, that's true. But after a while you will get the hang of the various notations and you won't even have to think about them.

Very Happy

Ian
drapdap

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad to see this topic back on top! Smile

Ian, have you seen this? Probably, but i thought i post it anyway, maybe others have not:

http://www.sowa.synth.net/schem/pulser.html

I Do have a pair of 5pulsers though, so i need to build an Xor. What about the one on Ken Stones site?

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs54_xor.html

will this work aswell, or Ian's is a special one?
frijitz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I saw Roman's pulser some time ago. Very clever!

Ken's XOR works quite differently from mine. Would be fun to compare them side by side.

Very Happy

Ian
Terrafractyl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the help!!!
drapdap

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just finished this last night, Ian was king enough to let me post the pcb, i will fix a few little things, the part labeling and post it. Added a mixer, so i can mix the Xor'd with the dry ins, it did make sense somehow.
Forgot to decouple the xor, doh. Very Happy

mixor.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  437.3 KB
 Viewed:  358 Time(s)

mixor.jpg

frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, no. Elvis is the king!
drapdap

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
No, no. Elvis is the king!

but he's dead i'm afraid! Very Happy so that leaves us You! Very Happy

i need to decouple right? you didn't draw it on the schematic, as it's obvious for those in the royal family?
drapdap

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the pcb. i couldn't print now, so if somebody could verify if it's the right size,
or have a fresh eye for errors that would be nice. for the mixer section you need to refer to Ken Stone's page, also used with permission.

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs04_mix.html

Also you need to wire in the mixer's in out's, bit self explanatory, but i can draw it if needed... i didn't buffer.

thanks to Ian, and pardon me my bad english. Very Happy

mixor_300dpi_04.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mixor_300dpi_04.pdf
 Filesize:  621.06 KB
 Downloaded:  448 Time(s)

drapdap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just a sample...

Analog_XOR_02.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Analog_XOR_02.mp3
 Filesize:  3.16 MB
 Downloaded:  1137 Time(s)

indigoid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I did my own little PCB layout for this and built it as a 4hp Eurorack module. Works very nicely! No audio samples to share, but I'm rather enjoying feeding it audio rate pulse waves from my dual VCO, with an AR envelope prodding the mod input occasionally. I have nine unpopulated PCBs left, so will definitely build a couple more.

In the below pic it's the module with the bamboo panel. It's obscured by a patch cable but I put Ian's name on the panel Smile

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for sharing, Ian!
cyclic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

indigoid wrote:
I have nine unpopulated PCBs left, so will definitely build a couple more.

Interested in sharing any around? I can donate to you or to ian!

cheers

Lance
deltamodulator

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, pardon if this has been addressed already as I did not read the whole thread closely. I am just thinking that I've seen something that could be called an analog XOR in the training of a neural net to learn the XOR function.

Overtrained you get plateaus only with sharp transitions and undertrained you get smooth transitions between plateaus. You can plot it in 3D too.

Ah, I just looked on Google Images and found an example, shown in the attachment.

Les

neural net XOR.gif
 Description:
Neural Net XOR transfer function.
 Filesize:  14.81 KB
 Viewed:  17343 Time(s)

neural net XOR.gif

deltamodulator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, if this is correct - that a neural net XOR (two hidden layers usually and just a few neurons) transfer function makes cool sounds - then would it not be uber cool to make a panel with a neural net XOR all done in variable resistors so you could tweak the weights during a performance? Neat?

Les
deltamodulator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here in this illustration we have a neural net topology with weights shown. A total of seven weights are required. That would be seven pots to adjust unless some were fixed or ganged. I can probably make a circuit using conductive filament for the weights on my 3D printer - how interesting an example to make!?!

Les

Nerual Net XOR Topology.jpg
 Description:
Neural Net XOR block diagram - one of many implementations
 Filesize:  9.28 KB
 Viewed:  17333 Time(s)

Nerual Net XOR Topology.jpg

deltamodulator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the attached photo I am showing three "finger potentiometers", suitable for panel designs, that are a bit of a misnomer as they are in fact variable resistors not potentiometers so really I need a better name. Anyway here is how they work:

Each finger pot has an underlying spiral of a colorful (in this case aqua translucent) insulating material. On top of this is 3D printed an electrically conducting layer that makes for 10 kOHm or higher resistance in the coils. Both ends of the dual spiral design have a circular electrical contact suitable for 3mm hardware or similar. With washers and spacers, even a metal panel can be used. The mechanical and electrical contact is made at these end points.

Once situated firmly in a panel, the operator can vary the electrical resistance between the terminals by pushing on the center of the spiral, squeezing the sides of the spiral, or some other deformation on the spiral. The goal is to short the layers and then slide along the shorted layers or short more layers, etc. to create a different resistance.

I have also thought of using the zig-zag resistor symbol to physically make resistors this way, isn't that neat? Well anyway you get the idea. This circuit, using a single quad opamp and 3D printed resistors, and three audio jacks would make for a great demo item, don't you think?

Les

Finger Pot 2 - 1 (3).jpg
 Description:
Three "finger potentiometers"
 Filesize:  2.06 MB
 Viewed:  861 Time(s)

Finger Pot 2 - 1 (3).jpg

indigoid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EL BO wrote:
indigoid wrote:
I have nine unpopulated PCBs left, so will definitely build a couple more.

Interested in sharing any around? I can donate to you or to ian!

It would be inappropriate to send me a donation for Ian's work. But very happy to pop some PCBs in the post. PM your postal address Smile

Note the below parts are required, though:

* Lumberg 1503_12 right-angle 3.5mm jacks (Element14/Farnell have these)

* 9mm right-angle pots (I buy these locally in a bricks + mortar shop, but you can also get them from Thonk)
prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just built a dual one of these, and used the two spare op amps to make a third XOR, which is hard-wired to the outputs of the first two. In other words, you have A1 XOR A2, B1 XOR B2, and A XOR B available as outputs. To add to the sonic mayhem, the third also has an Input, so is actually a 3-input XOR.

Audio sample attached. First 20s are one output with two sine waves as input, tuned to be fairly harmonic slightly modulated by an LFO. Then two triangle waves, not harmonically related, VCOs driven by a sequencer. At 40s, it's the A XOR B XOR C output, run through a low-pass filter, with the cutoff driven by an LFO. Finally, at 1.34, it's a medley of all outputs through a mixer.

Very nice little circuit, thanks Ian

Peter

XOR.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  XOR.mp3
 Filesize:  5.19 MB
 Downloaded:  1297 Time(s)

wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love the sound of the 3rd part... the first part is also very nice... Makes me think it's time to include one of these in my setup...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: