electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
How slow can things go
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: How slow can things go Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seemingly pretty damned slow, good !!

Now this patch is very boring to listen to, but that's not the point here.

I wanted to try if it would be possible to do something with a timeline in the G2, and a very slow running LFO for me would be a good starting point.

Now using the frequency moduluation input of an lfo won't bring you times longer than 10 minutes. This is way too fast for a time line and so I tried something else.

In this example an 'LFO Shape A' lfo is used with it's direction input connected to a low signal (1 unit). I set the shape in such a way that that in 1/100 th of the cycle time 64 semitones are traversed. The semitone steps are separated in time by about 11.7 seconds, which yields an estimated cycle time of about 19 hours. That's slow enough, even for me.

[note that the first semi tone step takes about 5 seconds (instead of 11). This learns us that the level detector steps midway between the semitones, and not on the semi tone border. A thing that matters for certain types of detection circuits.]

[also note that the manual on page 139 is wrong, the DIR input doesn't do a 180 degrees phase shift for negative input values. It makes the LFO run backwards instead, which is the same thing for symetrical signals only.]

I used the filter modulation as a built in chronometer, it 'ticks' 2% too fast (but I wanted an estimate only).

Using a shape setting of 99% and using a bunch of comparators at the output of the LFO a very slow going time line can be created this way.

This LFO shape A thing is pretty versatile, a bit expensive though.

Jan.

slowth.pch2
 Description:
boring patch, a test how slow an LFO will run

Download
 Filename:  slowth.pch2
 Filesize:  1.33 KB
 Downloaded:  2557 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: lets add some stuff. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I added some window switches and control send modules to a simplified version of the previous patch to demonstrate how a time line can be built with event generators.

Events can be set to start and stop at a certain point in time.

By using an extended version of this principle in the effects area of a patch in a performance all patches in the performance can be addressed by setting appropriate channels for the event senders.

For the demonstration I also added some very basic event listeners.

Jan.

time-line-basics.pch2
 Description:
time line demonstration

Download
 Filename:  time-line-basics.pch2
 Filesize:  1.53 KB
 Downloaded:  2518 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: time for the next step Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As it turns out the first two patches were a bit overly simplistic. A mechanism is needed to kill the down slope of the slow running LFO.

When working on that I thought it might be nice to finish it off with some user control. So I added some stuff for that as well.

Parameters:

A1 - manual reset, to be used when the reset source is set to manual.
    A2 - reset source, either manual or auto. When set to manual the thing can be reset by the manual reset button. When set to auto the patch will reset itself on load.
    A3 - Run once. When On the time-line will stop at the end, when off it will be restarted when finished.
    A4 - Speed control, 0 = is stopped, 64 is full LFO rate
    A5 - Range select for the time line LFO
    A6 - LFO speed to give some more control over speed.

The idea of the range select is to be able to couple the time line to the master clock etc.

The idea for LFO speed is to set A4 to one, then set A6 to 1/6400 of the time you want your piece to run. During working A4 can be set to 64 for be able to work faster.

I set up three banks of event generators, one for each of the slots B, C and D. And so this patch expects listening patches to be present in those slots. I'll post an example listener patch as well.

Jan.

time-line.pch2
 Description:
the time line worked out a bit

Download
 Filename:  time-line.pch2
 Filesize:  4.02 KB
 Downloaded:  2461 Time(s)

example-listner.pch2
 Description:
an example listener patch for time line

Download
 Filename:  example-listner.pch2
 Filesize:  1.37 KB
 Downloaded:  2539 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For a follow up on this and some working examples see :

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-15088.html#15088

Jan.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Jump to: