electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Post Your KLEE Panels Designs Here
Page 12 of 16 [399 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
BTW, if one wants to pimp a Klee, here is something that would really knock it into orbit with barely any parts expenditure, though it would claim some more panel room.

Klee puts out A, B and A+B. Why not A-B? Or, its inverse B-A? This creates an entirely new *unique* voltage output. Here's an example of an implementation - this one uses a switch to select between A-B and B-A, and has its own glide circuit so it's uniform in control with the other voltages. Note, I think the cap would be best unpolarized, because this particular voltage would go below 0V, unlike all the rest of the Klee voltages. This voltage would follow all the rules of the A+B voltage, it just would be totally different - but yet related to all the other voltages in a very Klee-like manner.

This is one implementation, You could use a single TL072 and have both outputs simultaneous with no glide circuit, or use a TL072 for the differential amplifier and inverter, and use a TL074 to make two glide circuits, one for each output. That's if your panel is the size of a mac truck. Laughing

Believe, if I hadn't drilled my panel and had room, this would be the first thing I'd put in if I were to pimp my Klee.

Cheerios,
Scott

just saw this... i'm thinking it might be a dandy little utlility module for use with other modules as well as the Klee... CGS Gated Comparator, Noise Ring, etc...

b

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
one quick question, do i need a clock out function to chain klee sequencers?
how do i implement that?

Are you asking how to make a "longer" shift register by chaining Klee sequencers?

Bill
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm pretty sure Scott has already talked about this idea before. It wouldn't be too hard. I seem to remember basically taking the "Invert B" switch and making it 3way and adding an "out" socket. The invert B is where the bits leave step 16 and go back in to step 1 (either inverted or not) so you could just take that to a secondd Klee's random in. Set the threshold to grab every bit, connect the master clock out of 1 to the clock in on 2, and that should do it.
Well, that's my two cents, I could be wrong.
No doubt the manager of this shop will be along shortly. Laughing

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like you have it "nailed down" there Andy !! Wink

Bill
Luka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the answer. it was suggested before that i ran the Random inputs into each other or something like that, it just confused me, so i'll try this method when i get my second klee rocking
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's also possible to do it through creative patching - you have to use one of the gate bus outputs to do that, and that gate bus has to be merged. Pipe the merged gate bus output to the random input of the second Klee.

Cheerios,
Scott

fadeddata

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is my Modcan design. I'm using Push/Pull pots for the pattern switches.

klee-modcan.jpg
 Description:
Klee in Modcan
 Filesize:  136.44 KB
 Viewed:  331 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

klee-modcan.jpg

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fadeddata wrote:
Here is my Modcan design. I'm using Push/Pull pots for the pattern switches.

that's so cool, man. good idea. Laughing
and the panel looks amazing of course. i am curious to see the finished klee...

sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is a beautiful thing. I've always liked the modcan look.

I'd be very leery of using the push-pull knobs though - it's way too easy to detune the pots when pushing or pulling them. If attempting tonal (in tune 12 step per octave) type music, the pot settings need to be very precise, as any small error affects all (or at least a lot of) the pitches. Of course, if that idea is foreign to you, then go for it! But if I were you I'd add the additional width for another set of switches.
fadeddata

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good point. Typically if I'm worried about that I would go through a quantizer of some kind. Do you think that would mitigate the affect of me accidently moving the knobs when pulling?

-dustin
Sound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMHO I think that it will not be very useful.
There is the point of move the knobs accidentally.
Also I think that a row of switches is more clear and intuitive to see the pattern .
The Pattern is a parameter enough important to have its own and dedicated controller.

It is easy to add the pattern switches on your design.

Regards!
fadeddata

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe push button LED's? I'd much rather not add another panel width.
sduck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cha Ching! There's the ideal answer - pushbutton leds! Of course, you'd want multicolored ones, for determining the button state. Hmmm...

Yes, I really think you might want to rethink the push/pull pots - even with a quantizer, you might get more "randomization" than you want. And I've found that I'm flipping the pattern switches a lot, and often pretty fast - the opportunity for accidents is wide open.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since the subject has come up several times about how to chain multiple Klee sequencers, I thought I would post a complete guide on just how to do this. As Scott mentioned a couple of posts back, you can get creative with the BUS function and use this to chain Klee units. I use BUS "3".

Scott Stated:
Quote:
It's also possible to do it through creative patching - you have to use one of the gate bus outputs to do that, and that gate bus has to be merged. Pipe the merged gate bus output to the random input of the second Klee.

Here is a more complete procedure:

Procedure for allowing two or more Klee sequencers to act as one big long shift register, here is the procedure:

MODE 16 x 1
RANDOM "ON"
BINV "OFF" (Really does not matter here)
For Bit "16" or right most bit, set GATE BUS 3 "ON", GATE 3 BUS should be "OFF" for ALL other bit positions.
BUS 3 MERGE "ON" (IMPORTANT)

On first Klee, connect the BUS 3 GATE "OUT" to the RANDOM INPUT of the second Klee. On the second Klee, patch the BUS 3 GATE "OUT" to the RANDOM INPUT of the first Klee.

Some Preparation Work:

To calibrate the RANDOM "LEVEL" and "THRESHOLD" potentiometers. Set the THRESHOLD pots on both Klee units to the 9 o'clock position. Set the LEVEL potentiometers on both Klee units to the 3 o'clock position. Now set bit 16 to "1" on both units and manually LOAD the pattern. The RANDOM DATA OUTPUT LED should illuminate. Now program a "0" in each bit 16 possition, and LOAD. The RANDOM OUTPUT LED should now be extinguished. A bt of pot tweaking may be necessay but should work from jump with the pot set to these positions. Your all set to rock the house man !!!!!!!!

Hope this ties all the posting together about Klee chaining !

Next post will be how to use the Klee as an effective modulation source for "GATED" arpeggio applications.

Bill

Last edited by State Machine on Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dustin,

I really like the panel design thus far. I am sure you will work out the push/pull pot situation. I tend to agree with the guys on this and pulling and pushing may affect the pot setting unless, as mentioned, it does not matter. At the least, a visual indication would be good. Wink

Bill
fadeddata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I'm thinking of using NKK M2100 toggle switches (http://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/M2100.pdf) for the gate bus switches. That allows me to toss out the LED indicators and put the pattern switch there. More expensive but it gives a great visual indication of which gate bus it's on.

What do you guys think?

-dustin

klee-modcan-nkk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.09 KB
 Viewed:  295 Time(s)

klee-modcan-nkk.jpg

sduck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks great. How much do those things cost? (and if mousers switch prices are any indication of a trend, buy them as soon as possible)
Sound

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, a step more close to finish my klee: The front panel is mounted. Very Happy

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sound ............... WOW ........ very very nice ! Love it. Great job !

Bill
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dang! thumleft

That's just beautiful.

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Sound

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys! Im going now to aluminum store to see some materials... let's see how i will do the case. First my idea was to put the PCB tied to the front panel without any case, but the front panel is too flexible, so i need to put some kind of case.

Lets see. Very Happy
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sound wrote:
First my idea was to put the PCB tied to the front panel without any case, but the front panel is too flexible, so i need to put some kind of case.

wouldn't the mounting of the PCB to the panel overcome this? and in fact this would be desirable, wouldn't it? the PCB could give the front panel more stability, i guess.

Sound

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Fonik! my surface control it is horizontal, if you remember my ergonomicDIYdesk Very Happy and the panel doesn't support its own weight and bends,bows. I don't think that the tied pcb will be enough. The front panel must to support his own wheight as well an accidental if I lean on it.

I ordered this morning a folded piece of aluminium in a local store... lets see temorrow if it will be OK.
GraeT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Euro Rack Klee panel
Subject description: My Klee panel design to suit my Euro Rack
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Firstly, I want to acknowledge all the previous people who have posted their panel designs here; there are some truly beautiful designs and I have borrowed various ideas from a number of them.
My design considerations were that I wanted to group the controls logically and try to keep patch cables away from pots and switches.
The pattern and gate bus switches and voltage pots are grouped in the center, plenty of room around the manual load switch, switches and other pots on the left and all the jacks on the right.
The panel was designed in a CAD program and re-done in FPD to order. I will be using a laminated paper overlay for the text and graphics.

Klee Panel GT.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.63 KB
 Viewed:  406 Time(s)

Klee Panel GT.JPG

Klee Panel GT.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.63 KB
 Viewed:  373 Time(s)

Klee Panel GT.JPG

sduck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks fabulous! I'd switch the step and load buttons If I were you - the load switch gets a real workout, and you want it front and center, but you only use the step switch when tuning the knobs.
Page 12 of 16 [399 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: