electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Post Your KLEE Panels Designs Here
Page 4 of 16 [399 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Toying around with some refinements. Still evolving but I'm just going to change the image here. Klee's art is great, I wish I could afford it. Smile

Klee Panel Scaled Trial 3.001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.53 KB
 Viewed:  498 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Klee Panel Scaled Trial 3.001.jpg

Home,My Studio,and another view
loopcycle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is my art box klee panel/enclosure.
its missing the leds, graphics, and i still need to finish my harnesses and wire the panel.
it is self powered and portable. and it was cheap Very Happy

artboxklee-003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.94 KB
 Viewed:  401 Time(s)

artboxklee-003.jpg

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
this is my art box klee panel/enclosure.
its missing the leds, graphics, and i still need to finish my harnesses and wire the panel.
it is self powered and portable. and it was cheap

Now that's thinking outside the box ! Very inventive. Nice work.

Bill
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks great! Very nice work.

pete

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Loopcycle, that is beautiful. I wish I would have done that with mine!
bubblechamber

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's my half finished layout. it's really great to see everyone's idea of what the Klee should look like.

PANEL1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.06 KB
 Viewed:  587 Time(s)

PANEL1.jpg

Randaleem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Rykhaard"][quote="v-un-v"]
Rykhaard wrote:

(STILL trying to find paddle switches from that era. Crying or Very sad )

Hi Ryk,

Sorry, I missed this post before now. Here you go: http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/14/start/23/maxrows/11 Scroll down a little to find this:

DPST Paddle
Computer grey DPST on and off switch rated 8A 125 VAC, 4A 250 VAC. It carries part no. 1642.0401 and snaps into a 1/2" x 1-1/8" panel hole. The paddle is a generous 1-1/16" wide x 5/8" and the body is 1-7/8" long excluding the paddle. Quick connect terminals. 21283 ROCKER SWITCH, DPST $2.25 PKG(3)

.75 ea. is not a bad price and except for being Grey, these look to me just like the ones on our old IMSAI8080. Size looks right too.

Kind regards, Randal
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Randaleem"][quote="Rykhaard"]
v-un-v wrote:
Rykhaard wrote:

(STILL trying to find paddle switches from that era. Crying or Very sad )

Hi Ryk,

Sorry, I missed this post before now. Here you go: http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/14/start/23/maxrows/11 Scroll down a little to find this:

DPST Paddle

Whoahoaaa! Shocked Very Happy Thank you greatly, initially, Rand! Very Happy Them're the babies in style that I've been looking for.
Looking at the site though - it clicked in - I'd be limited to DPST (ON/OFF)only. Sad I'd have to go for a different style for the ON/OFF/ON switches that are needed as well. (For the Klee and my future MFOS Sequencers. I've gone with standard toggle type switches for my 1st MFOS Sequencer that I posted the pencil crayon panel picture of - just so I can get my first sequencer up and running ASAP.)

I'm definately going to keep that one that you posted in mind though and at that price, may actually grab some anyways. Smile I've wanted that style of switches since the mid 70's, when I first saw the articles on the IMSAI / Altair / Etc.'s in Popular and Radio Electronics, when I were a wee boy of 12. Wink
Randaleem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:
I'd be limited to DPST (ON/OFF)only. Sad I'd have to go for a different style for the ON/OFF/ON switches that are needed as well. <S>I'm definately going to keep that one that you posted in mind though and at that price, may actually grab some anyways. Smile I've wanted that style of switches since the mid 70's, when I first saw the articles on the IMSAI / Altair / Etc.'s in Popular and Radio Electronics, when I were a wee boy of 12. Wink

Hi Ryk,

Glad you liked them--initially Very Happy Actually, I've found that with many switches you can open them up and change from one contact arrangement to another.

Switch mfrs. try to economise where possible and use common parts for different variations. I can't say for sure that these will fall into that category but their larger size and the drawing showing the housing shape and "missing" spades in the "DT" position would have me buying at least 8, were I in your position. IOW, I'm betting you can easily get these to be SPDT. Whether you can get the off in the middle is a different question. Tho' I've found that to be possible with many older switches too.

The reason I'm hesitant in this case is that I remember the IMSAI well. It was a kit and we built it. Point here is that the switches used were of two types: the ones shown here, which set hex addresses and commands, and a momentary style for loading the switch-set-bytes into memory. I don't recall any place where they'd have needed on-off-on.

But these paddle and rocker siwtches are often based on a regular slide or toggle switch, which can often be easily swapped out. It's the "appearance" parts which differ. So again, there is a great likelihood that you could mate this desirable front to a rear that is common and available at little cost.

Also, one could always process the DPST into other arrangements with outboard logic... (i.e., On-off-On is possible with two switches, logically locking out the unacceptable dual on position. Using an XOR gate.)

I think I've talked myself into getting some! Those big paddles were certainly very "play-able" for programming the IMSAI. Much moreso than toggles or rockers, which was why they became so common when computers were switch-entry affairs. I've got to believe they would translate well to a play-able Seq like the Klee...

Or any other synth use where quick, precise, multiple switch setting is needed. I wrote before here on e-m how we became pretty adept at getting any one of 16 possible states from any one of 16 states from the IMSAI with a single hand motion. (We had contests to se who could load and run a given program fastest. The Rubik's cube of its time. With printed output of your success! And none or botched output if/when you failed. Sad Ah, school daze.

Just some thoughts, Kind regards, Randal
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Randaleem wrote:
we built it.

I've seen you use "we" on a few occasions where I would have expected "I", it made me wonder who "we" is Very Happy

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Randaleem wrote:
(i.e., On-off-On is possible with two switches, logically locking out the unacceptable dual on position. Using an XOR gate.)

That would kill all the fun though I guess?

Randaleem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Randaleem wrote:
we built it.

I've seen you use "we" on a few occasions where I would have expected "I", it made me wonder who "we" is Very Happy

Hi Jan,

In this case, "we" is a few of us in my high school computer programming class. We (the class) had only HP card-programmed "computers" until the IMSAI arrived. (The HP's were calculators, really; whose only output was an adding machine style tape. The IMSAI (along with a donated Teletype!) was a welcome addition! )

The teacher did not have any electronics building experience, so he asked if there were any in the class who did. I was one of three who raised my hand, and so became one of the IMSAI builders.

Kind regards, Randal
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't imagine I would recommend buying switches, prying them open to change the contact type, putting them back together, then actually using them on the Klee. Unless you just like taking chances, and enjoy replacing switches. I'd stick with buying the right switches and using those.

Cheerio,
Scott

midgetfidget

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So here's my draft panel in motm format.

It looks ugly as sin at the moment. I colour coded some of the holes to explain their functions.

The dark grey are knobs, the green are leds, the red switches (small ones are toggle, large ones are pushbutton), and the blue are banana in/out.

The inner set of toggle switches in the circle will be mounted in a centrifugal pattern, so pointing inwards, center or outwards will select the gate bus for that step. The outer set will be pushbutton switches to select on/off per step.

The led rings will be powered by a cgs led driver circuit, so i can drive 4 leds per channel.

Some of the unused space on the right i will use for an internal clock (maybe with midi sync)

Any suggestions or criticisms will be appreciated, i won't be building this for a couple of months, so i wanna get the panel right.

k.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.37 KB
 Viewed:  460 Time(s)

k.JPG

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

midgetfidget, I really like your design. I don't think it's THAT ugly!

Are you going to set up radial panel graphics too?

Home,My Studio,and another view
midgetfidget

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm toying with the idea of an etched brass front panel, so the graphics will have to be simple.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The line graphic which comes from the load socket I would draw to one of the push buttons (pattern switches) as these are what will be loaded, instead of the first level pot.
Similarly, I would have the gate bus line graphics go straight to the gate bus "circles" and not through the level pot at position 5. Have you thought of rotating the circle through 11.25 degrees so the 12 o'clock position is the "gap" between step 16 and step 1? This way it might make the gate bus graphic a bit less ambigous, as all three lines could go between the pots to the "circles". Does that make sense?
Apart from that, I think it's a really beautiful layout. Very Dr Who. Very Happy

Photon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

midgetfidget wrote:
i'm toying with the idea of an etched brass front panel, so the graphics will have to be simple.

This is the first etching test I had done back in the spring of this year. ignoring the the pitting from all the pinholes in the mask, you can see that you can get some pretty intricate detail.

So if you make the panel graphics 'simple', let that be a design decision driven by ease of user interaction, not a perceived manufactuing limitation.

IMG_0004.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  413.61 KB
 Viewed:  316 Time(s)

IMG_0004.jpg

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I reckon all that pitting is what makes it look so great. Very Happy
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Photon,

Yes, very, very nice. I think it will be a very hypnotic experience. I can see a circular design feeling very natural as well. Are you planning on buffering for the pattern LEDs?

Cheerio,
Scott

midgetfidget

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the tips Krunkus, will have a play around in frontpanel tonight.

Photon, that etching looks great! Is that electro-etching, or chemical?

Scott, yeah i will be buffering the leds with a design based on this:

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/pic/schem_cgsld.gif

One for each of the 16 steps.
factus10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A little late to the party, but here's my panel-in-progress. Need to double-check all the hole sizes, placements, knob clearances, etc, this weekend. I'm using 1/8" jacks (my main box is a Paia 9700). And I purchased sliders with leds in them so that's why there's not a row for pattern leds.

emklee.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.96 KB
 Viewed:  519 Time(s)

emklee.jpg

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just an idea: take a look at the way uncle krunkus mounted the sliders. i wished i would have done it that way...
factus10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey fonik,

why is that? is it because it made the sliders lower profile?
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i mounted the sliders with two srews per slider to the front panel: 16x2 holes in the panel. uncle krunkus mounted the sliders to a subpanel. this subpanel is mounted to the frontpanel utilizing the switches, which have to be mounted anyway.
so it is because these 32 screws cannot be seen - very nice IMO.

Page 4 of 16 [399 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: