electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
revised 292c LPG PCB layout...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Ilanode

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik, any chances that there will be PCBs for the LPG-project?
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ilanode wrote:
Fonik, any chances that there will be PCBs for the LPG-project?

no, not from me. i won't do that since this is peter grenader's circuit. actually he's making money from it now. he once published his circuit on the web so i did a DIY layout and that's it.

Fernando

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zthee wrote:
I just started to build 2 of these, but with the old documentation Smile

Just need the vactrol and the usual wires to pots and stuff like that. Hope to be done within a week or so!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I love your panels cyclops

very inspiring, thank you
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone have a mouser part number for a good switch for this module?

I've been playing with my quad LPG* a lot this week and am completely in love with its sound. It gives my modular a very warm, accoustic instrument quality that it's never had before.

*(different layout, too many parts - that's why I want to the Fonik version)
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:

actually not.

i was thinking of doing another version with a voltage controlled switch?

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be really cool Fonik. It would just be a button to toggle through, with LED indicators for mode?
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:

I had a rather hard time sourcing this switch also. The problem is, I couldn't find them at an affordable price. I finally took my search to e-bay and got them very inexpensively. But some of the distributors were charging as much as $20 a piece!

vtl5c3 wrote:

I've been playing with my quad LPG* a lot this week and am completely in love with its sound. It gives my modular a very warm, accoustic instrument quality that it's never had before.

I completely agree. There's something alchemical about this circuit.
zthee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
vtl5c3 wrote:

actually not.

i was thinking of doing another version with a voltage controlled switch?

Using a 4016 instead?

That would be great!

Atleast you'll save a few $$ on it. (The switches I bought were really expensive... and they were the only ones I could find..)

I'm just about to finish my modular, and I'm really glad I've got two 292 in it!
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Answering my own question here....

It's got to be a 3 pole On-None-On switch, correct?

Looks like the NKK S33-RO is a nice one, though expensive:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=2sm%2fOhBR5H2A%2fpgWNa5c8w%3d%3d

And if a mercedes is not good enough for you and you demand a rolls-royce, the C&K 7303SYZQE:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=C4UUOezh8MSO2U0konF7JA%3d%3d

Or, if you're more of a toyota person, the mountain Switch: 108-0006-EVX

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=zSc6GmcNwoljLAcHovqwzA%3d%3d
Fernando

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IIRC eBay's HKSuperseller have them, let me check where did I bought them for shure and if they were on/on/on or on/off/on, but they should have both...
Ilanode

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zthee wrote:
(The switches I bought were really expensive... and they were the only ones I could find..)

Do they work fine since they have only 6 pins while the LPG wants 9?
fonik

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3 pole, on-off-on - that would mean 3 lugs/pins for the three inputs (3-pole) and 6 lugs for the outputs (2 for each pole). so you need 9 lugs/pins.
you want to switch three independent signals to two different outputs each...

Fernando

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

guitar parts suppliers are a good place to get both this on-off-on and the on-on-on needed for another version of the LPG
doctorvague

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's one:
http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/4,2857.html
These are $6.99 US.
Here's another one $4.25 US:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/STS-72/3PDT-ON-OFF-ON-TOGGLE-SWITCH/1.html

There were some cheaper ones on ebay but they're sold out.

I just googled "3PDT toggle"

Ilanode

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Segor in Berlin (lucky me) stocks them - MS 520:
http://cgi.segor.de/user-cgi-bin/sidestep2.pl?foto=1&Q=kippschalter&M=1#
They do int.shipping.

Has anyone implemented the Resonance Pot by now and is willing to share his/her opinions? I've not decided yet wether to go with or without that pot.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
That would be really cool Fonik. It would just be a button to toggle through, with LED indicators for mode?

Is this the idea Fonik? Instead of using an expensive switch, you'll incorporate CMOS switching with a toggle button for mode (and possibly LEDs to indicate status)? That would be pretty neat. I might have to design a new module for this update.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Instead of using an expensive switch, you'll incorporate CMOS switching with a toggle button for mode

I believe that is how it is done in the mark verbos clone...

C

Ilanode

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For some reason I’m able to include a bug even into the smallest circuit. Now it’s the LPG. The PCB has been made by a semi-professional supplier via ebay. It just looks fine so I’m sure the mistake is on my side.

Two of the three modes are working fine. However the LPF remains silent while the Resonance pot has no effect at all. The chip works fine since probing each pin has given the results expected. So I guess the fault is somewhere around the switch however the wiring itself seems to be just fine.
Any help is highly appreciated. TIA, Ingo
fonik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello ingo,

the fact that you built it with the resonnance option and that the lowpass is not working indicates that something might be wrong wth exactly the resonnance circuit. recheck all the wiring.

the resonnance option is not tested, yet. i am not sure if someone built it in yet. it is the implementation of a guessing i read in this forum somewhere...

since the resonannce option is available for the lowpass mode only, i would recommend to omitt it for now, just to be sure everything else is working fine. (you could just cut the wires and bridge jumper 1 by connecting the appropriate wires with aligator clips.)

hope that helps.

before doing so, recheck all the wiring again.

Ilanode

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's it! It works fine without the resonance mod! Could it be that the mod itself is faulty? Someone from a German forum has a similiar prob: LPF-mode almost inaudible.

Sine I checked the wiring various times before posting I suspect the resonance mod is buggy.

Anyhow, thanks for your assistance and making the pcb layout available. Highly appreciated!
fonik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so you've been a beta tester - sorry.

found the source of the modification. mark verbos wrote:
Quote:
If you increase the gain going through the .0047 uF feedback capacitor, you will get resonance. In practice, this can be done by adding an opamp gain stage between the ouput opamp and that capacitor. Just intercept the line between the switch and the .0047uF cap. Send the switch side into the + input and put a 50k pot with the wiper to the - input, the CCW end to the ouput and the CW side thru a 50k resistor to ground. Send the output of that opamp through the .0047uF cap.

did i misunderstood his suggestions? can't see why. anyone?

guitarfool

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
the resonnance option is not tested, yet. i am not sure if someone built it in yet.

It's tested Very Happy I was going to build a classic LPG using an older layout, and yours came out right after I'd finished the panels. So I built my first one without the feedback.

I've since built a second one WITH the feedback option, and it is wonderful. Now I have to do a new panel, so if anyone wants a couple of Moog/Dotcom format panels for a classic LPG... Sad

Anyway, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the schematic or layout.

If yours works without the option (jumper between "A" amd "B" on JP1), then the switch is probably okay. In this configuration, JP2, R18 and P2 are not needed. For the resonance option, point "A" of JP1 is jumpered to point "A" of JP2, and point "B" of JP1 is jumpered to point "B" of JP2. Maximum resonance occurs when the wiper of P2 is at the R18 end of the pot. At the other end, feedback is unity and the circuit behaves exactly like one without the resonance option. I tried both of mine (the first one without the option) and the second one side by side in the same patch, and with the resonance set to minimum, they sounded identical. I hope to get a sound file up this weekend to demonstrate.

With the resonance control above about two thirds, it will self resonate.

The resonance control only affects the LP mode: it does nothing in Gate or Both modes.

I heartily recomend adding it Very Happy
guitarfool

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
did i misunderstood his suggestions? can't see why. anyone?

No. You did good Very Happy
neandrewthal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Every single LPG I've seen has no CV attenuators. Is there just no need for them in the way it is typically used, or is everyone using external attenuators?
cbm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

neandrewthal wrote:
Every single LPG I've seen has no CV attenuators. Is there just no need for them in the way it is typically used, or is everyone using external attenuators?

I'm using cascaded LPG sections, one set to filter and another set to amplitude. I use external attenuators on the filter LPG.

-C

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: