electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 is down :(
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gal

G2 patch files: 10

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: G2 is down :( Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi
I can't believe.. My G2 don't comes online again after an Editor Crash. It stops alway on the screen, where the Version is showed. It seems that the patch was getting corrupted due this crash.

Is there a hardware reset or something like that?

gal
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2 hangs and key-press-bootup tricks have been discussed on the NM list at code404.com. Unfortunately there is not really a searchable archive and the closest I can get you is http://roland.code404.com/pipermail/nord-modular/
must be somewhere in februari, march .. maybe april ... bot the info you need _is_ there that's for sure, really !

Jan.
gal

G2 patch files: 10

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: got it Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your anwer, here is the solution.

To override the load of the last opened patches or the last performance, press and hold "Performance Mode" + "patch load" while powering on the G2. Now it starts with empty patches in all slots. After that I just had to delete the corrupted patch.

gal
sinusblitz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I think, this describes exactly the problem I got. (see below *) Unfortunately, I got the Modular G2 engine, which has no buttons.
So do you know any workaround for pressing the "performance mode" and the "patch load" button simultanously?

* The G2 engine worked well for a few days. Until that specific moment, when it lost the USB-connection saying that the cable maybe broken. Since that, none of my two computers can connect to the G2. If I try to play something via MIDI, no sound is coming out.

There is a hidden button for starting the engine in "update mode". When I tried this out, the connection worked well again. I was able to update the system OS. After the update was done, the modular restarted, and the connection didn't work again. Everything like before.

Would be great if someone got a tip for me.

greetings,
Martin
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
There is a hidden button for starting the engine in "update mode". When I tried this out, the connection worked well again

I'm not sure I follow...you were able to connect to the software or you were able to play MIDI through it and get sound or both?

If you were able to connect the software, can't you overide the patch/performance slot that was giving you trouble?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sinusblitz, great name, welcome to electro-music.com.

Sorry to hear about your G2 Engine problem. Hope someone who knows will be good enough to post a solution soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sinusblitz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your welcome, pleased to meet some modular people Wink

to zynthetix's question:

when the engine is in "update mode":
- usb-connection works
- editor says "can not be run in update-mode"
- no sound when playing midi
..so i think, everything is normal

when the engine is in normal mode:
- usb-connection doesn't work
- editor works, but no connection to synth
- no sound when playing midi

praying for an answer,
Martin
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's tragic. Does this mean that when you update the OS, nothing happens to the patches that are loaded? I would expect that the factory soundset would be loaded again.

Probably a useless suggestion: does it help to exit your editor, and then double click a .pch2 or .prf2 file (so that the editor starts up with a working patch or performance that is immediately uploaded to the engine)? I guess you'll still have the communication problem, but maybe it's worth a try.

My two cents. I'd give more if I had any Wink. Can imagine the frustration of an unusable engine just sitting there Sad
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been in contact with an engineer at Clavia. He asked me not to publish his email address because, I guess, Clavia want users to go throught their published support process. I can understand that. We have heard from seveal sources that they are working to improve this area of their operation. Here is what I can pass along:

The root too everyone's problem is this:

copy/paste operations in the editor can under some certain circumstances
cause the patch to contain invalid data. The use will not notice
this until that specific patch has been stored into the synths file
system, and then reloaded. Which makes the synth hang Sad

And as you now this is especially bad when the corrupt patch
is one of the patches the synth is booting with.

This has been fixed to the upcoming v1.20 release by:
a) Removing the bugg causing the corrupt patch data.
b) The synth validates the data more carfully. And will eject
patches that contains information that doesn't make sense.

Right now there is no way an engine user can get back on track by
themselves. The new software release that will fix this is two weeks away.

While waiting for the new software. Engine users can contact
clavia at http://www.clavia.se/misc/support.asp and they will help
them to jump start their engines again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sinusblitz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

to fozzie: Loading some patch in the editor doesnt work because there is no usb connection. The device-manager shows an "unknown USB-device" instead of the "Nord Modular G2 19" Engine" which comes up in update-mode. No driver-->No connection-->No patch loading. MIDI program changes doesn't work either.
By the way one more funny thing I found out yesterday: Booting Windows (both: w2k and wXP) with the usb-plugged, switched on (and hanged up) engine ends in seeing one of these terrible bluescreens. But that in fact, is the problem of another company.

to mosc: Thanks, I'm already in contact to Clavia Support since last week.

.. still hoping for *the great answer*,
Martin
sinusblitz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yipiiieeee,

The problem is solved! Big thanks to Clavia. They sent me an update, and now everything is running fine again.

greetings,
Martin
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good news, indeed.
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...my engine is no longer being recognized by my laptop (xp). i'm still running 1.24.

my startup performance is not running, and when i plug in the usb cable (i've tried more than one, including the short red original one), the computer says "usb device is malfunctioning and is not recognized"...forgive me for not having the whole message word for word, i went to a rehersal to prepare for my upcoming shows and it shit the bed (worked fine yesterday), and i don't have the energy to setup and fire everything up.

machines do break, and that's to be expected...but when i used "the published official channels" i got from an autoresponder:

Quote:
"Support department is closed from 2005/07/6 until 2005/08/08. Please check FAQ, contact your dealer or the distributor for your area for further assistance or get back to us in August. We apologise for the inconvenience."

i'm going to be optimisitc and assume that i'll get some help here, and i won't miss the official support, but i'm quite exhausted, and am not a happy camper

any help is of course more than appreciated.

deknow
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gee deknow,
I am really sorry you are havnig problems, especially since your prepping for gigs. I would go over a few things.
This message "usb device is malfunctioning and is not recognized" I have not seen before. Are you using the same usb port as usual, a hub or any other details?
Before doing this stuff I would recommend a clean power on/off of all the connected gear and see if it just doesnt rectify itself as sometimes these things do.

I would uninstall the G2 driver and reinstall.
Why not Update OS to current 1.32 as that may fix it all.
Reinstall editor.
Obviously this wont work if the device isnt installed so that is your main priority.
Dont panic though hopefully its something simple.
Good luck! Oh and let us know what happens please.
deknow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...a quick update (i'm not feeling any better).

i have a second engine that is recognized...it's not my computer. no hub, no other usb devices.

the exact message i'm getting from windows is:
Quote:
Usb device not recognized
One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message

...and when i click the message i get:
Quote:
Try reconnecting the device. If windows still does not recognize it, replace the device

...if it were an $80 midi interface i'd be ok with that...but this is a $900 synth!

deknow
deknow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...i've also looked at other threads on em that talk about similar issues, but there seems to be a major differance (at least as far as i can tell).

in my case, the first indication of trouble was that my startup program wasn't running. i connected it to the computer to see what was wrong with the engine that already wasn't working, only to find the computer wouldn't recognize it.

deknow
huffcw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello, This sounds like a Windows issue I have experienced in the past with other USB devices when updating to a new version or not having the drivers installed in advance of connecting the device. Have you tried to go into your Hardware Device Manager (Control Panel/System/Device Manager) and uninstall the device - then reboot and reconnect your G2?
deknow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it is not a windows issue, as i said, the first sign of trouble was that the g2 did not load it's startup performance when not connected to the computer.

a second engine is identified just fine, and i did all the usual windows stuff to resolve the issue.

deknow
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: