electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Online Music
My second effort!
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: My second effort! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I am learning to play my first synth as well as recording on Cubase. As yet I have no clue about MIDI so everything I do is strictly audio. So tonite I spent about 5 hrs trying to do tracks that were at least somewhat rhythmic & in time. I know there are a lot of mistakes in this track but if I waited till it was perfect it would take another month (I posted my first track a month ago. Laughing )

So here is my second effort. Yeah I know it sucks, but Noobs have to start with something Razz

synthstuff (2).mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  synthstuff (2).mp3
 Filesize:  1.65 MB
 Downloaded:  2646 Time(s)

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well... Laura
I wouldn't say it sucks Very Happy It sounds pleasantly "80's" to me. I would try to tighten up the rhythm tracks and try out longer songs that evolve more.
just my 2 cents thumright

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is fun! Keep working on such small pieces and explore rythms as well as silly and nonsensical ideas.
Keep in mind that apart from creating your own material you should also have fun learning stuff.. rehearsing.. playing along to various types of music and whatever.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like that! Very Happy

There's something vaguely "Kraut-rocky" about it, or like it belongs to a university programme on who machines work or something Very Happy Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We should soon consider recommending some stuff by Rodelius and company?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes and Drexciya and µ-ziq too;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drexciya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Paradinas

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
well... Laura
I wouldn't say it sucks Very Happy It sounds pleasantly "80's" to me. I would try to tighten up the rhythm tracks and try out longer songs that evolve more.
just my 2 cents thumright

thanks. I love those 80s sounds. 80s music is awesome.

My question, do people usually do this kind of stuff with MIDI and does that create a flawless rhythm? Again, I have no clue how to actually do a MIDI track.

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
This is fun! Keep working on such small pieces and explore rythms as well as silly and nonsensical ideas.
Keep in mind that apart from creating your own material you should also have fun learning stuff.. rehearsing.. playing along to various types of music and whatever.

Yeah, recording stuff is helping me learn how to play the thing! ps. the only use I have found for the 'arpeggio' function is as a suggestion for learning to play the arpeggio myself!

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
[
80s music is awesome.

Shocked

I wouldn't go that far! Shocked

Laughing

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let me understand this... you recorded this as tracks, right? No MIDI sequencing.

I like hearing the fun you're having. Seraph is right in saying you need to "tighten"... there is a knack to playing with yourself (stop sniggering back there, you lot) that practice helps. (I told you lot to shut it!).

Anyway, yes, a MIDI sequencer will help to some extent, but it is NOT that simple. It has a lot more to do with following your own rhythm.

I always try to do the primary track first. For me it is usually the main melodic part. You've heard my music so that's easy to pick out in my case. From there, it is listening. I've played in bands for a long time, so I don't have a problem listening for the beat. You should record your main idea with a click track, then erase the click track once you've laid enough stuff down to hold its own.

Like I said, the idea is fun. It's so happy. I'm like struttin down the avenue with it. But you can easily make it better. Wink

Home,My Studio,and another view
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
Let me understand this... you recorded this as tracks, right? No MIDI sequencing.

I really have no clue about MIDI, all I know is that it is computer signals so I spoze you could tell it to set up a beat of 160bpm and then make your chords follow that. Or whatever beat you want and make your drums fit flawlessly.

As yet I haven't figured out the practical stuff how to make that happen. I figure just learning to play keys, use keybd functions and record trax is enough for my overloaded brain at present.

Quote:

I like hearing the fun you're having. Seraph is right in saying you need to "tighten"... there is a knack to playing with yourself (stop sniggering back there, you lot) that practice helps. (I told you lot to shut it!).

I'd like to learn more about that. If you are just fooling around, do you start off with a basic melody, chord progression, or rhythm?

Quote:
You should record your main idea with a click track, then erase the click track once you've laid enough stuff down to hold its own.

the click track is the metronome, right?
Quote:

Like I said, the idea is fun. It's so happy. I'm like struttin down the avenue with it. But you can easily make it better. Wink

Yeah. One thing I like in composition is contrast. Chords that have unusual voicings, or instruments that have contrasting textures like distortion guitar & synth pads.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:

laura woodswalker wrote:

I really have no clue about MIDI, all I know is that it is computer signals so I spoze you could tell it to set up a beat of 160bpm and then make your chords follow that. Or whatever beat you want and make your drums fit flawlessly.

I guess we'll have to introduce you to MIDI. There is some reading involved, but MIDI has been around since you and I were young. You are not at this point using a sequencer, are you.

Quote:

I'd like to learn more about that. If you are just fooling around, do you start off with a basic melody, chord progression, or rhythm?

I usually go with what is strongest. If it is the main piano based part, okay, but sometimes, the accompaniment works better as the first track. It's something you have to feel, actually. It's very dependent on what you are doing. A lot of folks do the drums first. I don't usually, myself.

Quote:

the click track is the metronome, right?

yeah, usually. Some folks put whose drum tracks into their metronomes.

Quote:

Yeah. One thing I like in composition is contrast. Chords that have unusual voicings, or instruments that have contrasting textures like distortion guitar & synth pads.

Looking forward to more. Wink

Home,My Studio,and another view
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:

I guess we'll have to introduce you to MIDI. There is some reading involved, but MIDI has been around since you and I were young. You are not at this point using a sequencer, are you.

A sequencer would be something like Cubase where you can arrange tracks?

Yes, I have Cubase LE. Also a Yamaha keyboard that is MIDI capable, and I also have a Lexicon recording interface which has both USB and MIDI jacks. I also have MIDI cables and a son who uses Reason, but he's usually away at school Cool .

The only thing I don't have is enough time to do everything! Rolling Eyes Perhaps one of these days....

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: