electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Call For Participation - New Years Eve Live Streaming Event
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Moderators: shanemorris
Page 4 of 9 [203 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My gearlist:
Sequential Prophet VS
Ensoniq Fizmo
Nord Modular G2
EMU XL7
Sequentix P3
Studio Electronics SE-1
DSI Evolver

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just want to wish everyone a happy new year and a great streaming event! Last time was great fun. Very Happy

I'm not able to listen in until way after midnight, but I'm going to try to record the whole thing to listen to afterwards.

Thank you for organising this once again!

thumb up

/Stefan

klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

help! because of some major problems (edit: a failed/failing hdd) with my main computer we we will not be able to take part in tonight's jam. Crying or Very sad

i am very sorry about this but hope that someone can take over my time slot which is from 14:30 to 15:00 EST.

will try to reach someone in the chatroom...

best regards

eike
---

Last edited by klangumsetzer on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I happened to be watching the chat, got the message, PM'ing Howard now.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's what Michael Peck and Mark Mahoney will be using:

Mark Mahoney:
Moog Voyager
Yamaha RM1X
Waldorf Q rack
Native Instuments' Reaktor
Akai MPK49 keyboard controller

Michael Peck:
Korg MS2000
Ableton Live
Native Intstruments' Reaktor
Emu keyboard controller

We'll be performing in my living room in Tennessee.

www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
I happened to be watching the chat, got the message, PM'ing Howard now.

Any tips for connecting to the chat room, which I have never done before? I got past the firewall issues (seemingly), but now when I try to connect I get this:

[11:13] Connecting...
[11:13] Logging in...
[11:13] Disconnected from irc.blitzed.org

Thanks.

Next try, I get this:

[11:24] Connecting...
[11:24] Logging in...
[11:24] -sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- *** Looking up your hostname...
[11:24] -sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- *** Found your hostname, cached
[11:24] -sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- *** Checking Ident
[11:24] Not on a channel

EdisonRex seems to have saved me! No problem. Thanks!

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eike, very sorry to hear your computer is not cooperating. I will change your time slot to open. EdisonRex volunteered to use it if nobody else is interested. If you suddenly get your computer fixed and want the slot back, it's yours, of course.

Everyone else. That slot is available.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that it seems I am ready to go:

"Music for 32 Chess Pieces"

Hardware is an Alienware dual core PC, an Edirol UA-25 audio box and a Yamaha MG124cx analog mixer.

Software is a combination of a Python program & Max/MSP patch that I wrote over the last 2 weeks of December, 2007. This is the debut. I was still tweaking code this morning.

The Python program has three threads. The main thread monitors the keyboard for "move from x1,y1 to x2,y2" commands -- I haven't had time to write the GUI, so we are playing this on a real chessboard & I am transcribing in real time. After each move it computes a relation graph for each space on the board, where a relation can be "I support you" and/or "you support me" (for same color), or "I attack you" and/or "you attack me" (for opposing colors).

This main thread then walks out from the most recent move for each side (white & black) to find which pieces the moved piece has relations with, and repeats out from those pieces, until it runs out of relations. Think of throwing 2 stones, one white and one black, alternately into a pond. Sine wave ripples spread out from the white stone, and then from the black stone, and where their wave fronts overlap, there are interference patterns constituting an attack relationship.

The main thread walks these two sets of radiating, overlapping "sine ripples" in constructing notes from the Just Intonation Pentatonic Scale, one note for each piece at the current "wave front" for that color, spread across up to 8 octaves. Incoming "you attack/support" relations create inversions on the scale (and Just Pentatonic is not closed over inversion), and attack relations transpose by a just minor third (also outside the pentatonic scale). The whole thing is rooted in A 440 (55 Hz submultiple actually).

The other two threads are 1 "player" for white and another for black, who take the current note sequence and for their respective color, add octave and meter information, based on the most recently moved piece in that color. The focus of the music follows the focus of the play with respect to notes and meter/accents. Each side also has two LFOs in Python, one modulating tempo and the other overall volume. They are slightly desynced from each other to add additional temporal relations.

These threads send their notes to a MAX/MSP patch that is simply a 64 element bank of sine generators + limiters that acts as an additive synth.

Sine waves on a pond is all you really need to know.

Jason

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason Presents:

Amber's Portal

This will be a combination of orchestral and electronic~

I will go on @ I guess around 9 EST in about 12 hours from now...
Still working out details.

Hope you can make it.
Thanks everyone
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is my set session (8 minutes), Oddcast kept crashing on me, so I recorded a live take. Happy new year!
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-161192.html#161192

youtube video will follow too.
/Dasz

Last edited by dasz on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for posting this Dasz, will check it out later. Sorry everything went wrong tonight, sad Crying or Very sad
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Youtube recording of the set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw0tP6PsQbI

Audio quality not too bad this time...
/Dasz
JEM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: New Year's Webstream
Subject description: Really Enjoying This!!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks to everyone who participated in this event.
I just tuned in for Dean and Ramona's set.
Great stuff!!

I was also blown away by the sounds of the Buchla on the following set.
I almost thought that Ramona was still playing her dulcimer.

Bill, now I know why you picked up a CD from FULCRUM (I was just listening to it yesterday). Your stuff is HOT.

Happy new year to all.

See you next summer.

JEM
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi to all of you and thanks for letting me play some of my original tunes for you. It means so very much to me to have your support. I loved every performance I have heard tonight and really had a great new years celebration with you all. I love all of you and look forward to a great new year in 2008 !!!!

Hope to see some of you at Electro Music 2008 Conference ! I have some really dynamic new music to share with you all Wink

May you all be happy and healthy and lets all do this again !!!! Very Happy

Oh, Thank you Howard and Jan for sorting things out and getting things to really work great !!!!!!

Sincerely,
Your friend,
Bill
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yo.. Thanks to everyone, the performers, the listeners, the helpers, everyone. I had a great experience. The music was absolutely amazing. There was some stuff like I've never heard before.

We learned a lot about the technology and how to stage one of these events. The next ones will be better. It turns out my AJAX programming showed some problems when a lot of people hit the server. I had to kill them. That was sorta scary, but that's life.

Anyway, thanks again and Happy New Year.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
synthetic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
It turns out my AJAX programming showed some problems when a lot of people hit the server. I had to kill them. That was sorta scary, but that's life.

Shocked

Wow, I'm glad I was one of the lucky survivors.

Smile

Thanks for hosting this. It was a great show.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was worth staying up late. I finally collapsed around 5am, so I missed Howard's big performance. It was an eventful and wonderful evening.

Thanks for the kind comments regarding my set, I really appreciate it.

Home,My Studio,and another view
rlainhart

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, everyone, for a wonderful evening. Streaming a live performance from my studio is something I've always wanted to do, but have never had the chance to do until now. So thanks for the opportunity.

I listened back to the archived output from my stream, and did hear some clipping in the signal, for which I apologize. I'm using Nicecast to send the stream; Nicecast has a level meter on the front panel that indicated my levels were good, but perhaps aren't accurate. I was concerned in my original tests that my levels would be too low, but that obviously wasn't the case. I'll be more conservative next time - hoping that there is a next time.

I enjoyed everyone else's work too. Thanks again, Howard, for making this all possible.

http://www.vimeo.com/rlainhart
http://www.youtube.com/rlainhart
http://soundcloud.com/rlainhart
http://twitter.com/rlainhart
http://www.facebook.com/rlainhart
http://richardlainhart.bandcamp.com/
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps this is a duplicate post. But I want to thank all those involved in getting this off the ground. I know Jan and Howard had their work cut out for them. Although we had a bunch of dropouts (probably from our connection to the server), Michael and I had a great time. We hadn't played together since October, and this was a great chance for us to jam and try out some new things.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mark, between the drop outs it was a very good performance Very Happy The recording I made doesn't have the gaps and although it does have some strange jumps it's a nicer listen than the live stream was.

I want to thank all who participated in the event. Sorry that I collapsed at around 5 in my morning, and could not hear all the music which came after that - but I do have some recordings to listen to later on Very Happy

What I did hear was all very worthwhile to listen to.

This has been one of the weirdest year changes I've ever had, we had an almost scary fog here, at one time standing on my balcony I couldn't see the balcony of the floor below me anymore and all off the street lights were just gone. Together with the music, and the server problems we had it was a totally surreal experience Very Happy

ocp

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to thank everyone involved for making this event happen.
It was great fun!
We sure had a good time playing and listening to the stream.
However, we'd like to hear the full event as we missed the final performances.
Also, it'd be nice to keep the conversations in the chat room as a souvenir.

Have yourselves a marvelous 2008!

Cheers,
João

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ocp wrote:

Also, it'd be nice to keep the conversations in the chat room as a souvenir.

Thanks to you not only for playing, but for suggesting this in the first place.

Jan recorded the music and at some point we'll put it up on the server of on-demand listening. As for saving the chat record, I don't have any idea but Jason probably does.

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even though I was disappointed that my slot was lost due to technical difficulties, it was still great listening to all the other performances I managed to catch and nice chatting whilst the event was on.

I've just recorded a 40 minute improv, with all the gear and sounds I had set-up for last night and will upload it shortly for those who may wish to listen.

Would like to be involved in this next time for sure, hopefully it will go a lot smoother and maybe we could find another excuse to have a go Smile

Happy New Year

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

This has been one of the weirdest year changes I've ever had, we had an almost scary fog here, at one time standing on my balcony I couldn't see the balcony of the floor below me anymore and all off the street lights were just gone.

I recently completed lyrics for a banjo tune with a line, "I could lose myself in a bank of fog." Guess it's not a metaphor after all.

Thanks for your help Blue Hell, and Mosc's and EdisonRex's and everybody's. New Year Eve is usually pretty dead at our house, and this was an excellent way to spend the day. I got to make music with Jeremy while he's home on break (he won the speed chess game, by the way, on the 29th minute of the 30 minute set). He's taking the wav file with him back to Ontario Institute for Audio Recording Technology, maybe to mine a more structured 5 or 10 minute piece out of that meandering chess game.

One thing I especially liked is an oportunity to listen to live, improvised music through headphones. I find in general that I like *live* electro music best, but the only time I normally can use headphones is for more polished and produced recordings. Live usually means at a venue, but listening to this kind of music live through cans was different. The best example was StateMachine's set, where early on the combination of panning & sounds made it sound and feel like sparks were jumping a gap between my ears. I got to do a lot of listening, and enjoyed it all. Very Happy

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't catch as much as I'd like to, and messed up my recording of the stream, but still want to say a great big thank you to those who participated and got the servers running and hung out in the chat room. well-done thumleft

Wish you all a great 2008!

/Stefan

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Moderators: shanemorris
Page 4 of 9 [203 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Jump to: