electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
iCab
Page 2 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes of course I was joking!
I know that you're all talking about Macs.
I also know that running IE means going out and buying a real computer which a Mac user would never do. Laughing

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about this:

OhYesItCan.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  663.59 KB
 Viewed:  657 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

OhYesItCan.jpg

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What?
A Mac that can run a DAW and a browser at the same time! Shocked Cool!! Rolling Eyes
Looks like they've almost caught up then. Laughing
Anyway, if you can run both those applications at the same time and everything works flawlessly,....... What's the problem?

BTW You do realise this has to stop right now. Nobody has successfully baited me into a Mac bashing for years! (Tom has tried from time to time, but I thought I was over it. Embarassed Laughing )

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well when you can run crap applications like Safari on a PC I'll start listening to you Laughing
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Hi,

I have language set to English and region set to United Kingdom and both machines are still using an American dictionary.

Cheers

Andy

ooh I say! sorry I spoke! snob Rolling Eyes Shocked Laughing

You have to kill all instances of American English. It works- honestly!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:
Hi,

I have language set to English and region set to United Kingdom and both machines are still using an American dictionary.

Cheers

Andy

ooh I say! sorry I spoke! snob Rolling Eyes Shocked Laughing

You have to kill all instances of American English. It works- honestly!

The helps appreciated honestly.

How do you kill all instances of American English?

Cheers

Andy
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Well when you can run crap applications like Safari on a PC I'll start listening to you Laughing

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/
There you go; Safari for Windows XP&Vista.

Claims to be "the fastest browser on any system", also "the best", then it lists a bunch of features everybody else has had for years if not decades.... BUT yes, you can run Safari on Windows now. I imagine lots of people who were previously on the fence about using OSX or Windows will now go to Windows because of this.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HI,

Yeah I know, what I said was a joke.

I tried it a couple of months ago, it didn't seem any faster than IE to me and it crashed an awful lot.

Andy
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I know, I used Apple's products.
brinxmat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen: Running Vista?
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, thanks :¬).

Studio 64 (32 bit version, testing branch) on my desktop, there are some bits of DeMuDi left in it as well, I think.

The laptop has two HD's, one with Ubuntu 7:10 with a realtime kernel (that kernel plugged right in, nice!) and one with Windows XP, SP1, stripped heavily.

I have no use for Vista, it doesn't do anything I need that's not covered by XP and it does a whole lot I don't want it to do and I can't spare the time to figure out how to strip yet another Windows version and hammer it into shape right now.

brinxmat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What upgrade path would you recommend for a standard user from Windows XP?

Vista? Ubuntu? Something else?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hehe- been trying to upload some images but iCab just crashes- according to the developer, "Its a known problem with Leopard that Apple are aware of" Rolling Eyes Why is it always someone else's fault? Safari and Firefox can upload- why not iCab?

iCab is pretty buggy, but I like what it has to offer.

I'm a big fan of Seamonkey too- but it still lacks Apple services Twisted Evil

Browsers/ computers! Same thing. Can't live with 'em, can't live without them! Evil or Very Mad

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

It's pretty easy....

system preferences/ International/ language/ edit list

you can choose Australian and Canadian English too- as both the Aussies and the Beavers speak 'English' English (ie International English Rolling Eyes )- it's a good way of getting the computer to behave itself! Laughing

You can also add dictionaries- but I've never felt the need to.

Don't know about Word though. Word seems to work like a traditional MS app. I've got Apple Pages- which is a lot better imo and cheaper too (than office).

colour.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.68 KB
 Viewed:  26134 Time(s)

colour.png

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brinxmat; That really depends.... I mean; what's a "standard user"?

I have relatively exotic needs at a modest budget so I end up with relatively exotic systems. I certainly wouldn't recommend the average user to start deleting everything in XP they can't identify as essential as that will lead to a unbootable system faster then you can say "what does /system32/ do? Never heard of it!".

First of all I'd wonder *why* somebody would want to upgrade from XP. Just because MS released something newer doesn't mean XP doesn't do it's job anymore. I'm certainly not dumping my PS2 just because Sony made a PS3, for one thing the PS3 has no games I like. If there's a need to upgrade XP that need would likely give some indications about where to go.

If the issue is the most common XP complaint of it all getting bogged down by malware and the needs are browsing, emailing, pronography, mp3 listening and some office applications then I would say Ubuntu is a good choice though I'd recommend first testing it from a LIve CD to make sure it all works. Most of the time this should be fine, it recognised everything I threw at it so far (including stuff Windows had trouble with), but if it doesn't there may be issues that need some care of somebody who's a bit more of a expert.

Right now I can't recommend Vista, it's just too slow and doesn't work with enough stuff.

In some cases I might hesitantly mention OSX but that seems to be a bit of a losing battle these days as OSX is becoming more and more like something in between XP and VIsta with a security policy to match. That firewall incident and the QT leaks are a bit too recent for me to trust it as a platform if the needs also involve online usage, I'd rather wait a few years and see where that trend is going. Personally I don't do or use any of the things Apple advertises as good uses of Mac's, all of the programs I would be interested in using on a Mac run on Linux as well, some run better on a Mac, for some the Linux version is ahead so it's hard for me to estimate the usefulness of a Mac to the "average user". I was interested In Mac's in the past year, mainly because of Ableton and soundcard drivers but in the meantime my own sequencer has become so much better (for me) then Live and Linux has made great strides in soundcard support while Mac's dumped PCMCIA slots, thus creating the extra cost of a new soundcard as there is no hope they'll ever support my 1616M if I would switch to Mac so that makes very little sense for me.

For the average user's needs I would say Ubuntu is typically the best fit but in my experience the one thing that's typical for "the average user" is that they "also want to get into video editing in the future" which immediately makes the matter a LOT harder. One good friend of mine told me a few weeks back he was charged with picking a new video editing system for the company he works for and had been given a rather obscene budget for this and he now had to spend the better part of a week just reading up on the pro's and cons of the various options, he didn't sound particularly cheerful about this prospect and for him it's his job. I tend to suggest "the average user" buy a second hand Amiga4000 for this. Then "the average user" tends to walk off, I imagine he then goes to a store and buys whatever PC desktop currently costs about 600Euro and uses it until XP or Vista bogs down. Rince. Repeat.

It's a very hard question but yes, I find Ubuntu extremely impressive, installing hardware or software is typically so much easier then on Mac or Windows and unlike either of those you can get a realtime kernel for it with pre-emptive multitasking.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
you can choose Australian and Canadian English too- as both the Aussies and the Beavers speak 'English' English (ie International English Rolling Eyes )- it's a good way of getting the computer to behave itself! Laughing

Stone the bleedin crows Tom!
Us Ozzies speak the King's English mate!

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
brinxmat; That really depends.... I mean; what's a "standard user"?

I have relatively exotic needs at a modest budget so I end up with relatively exotic systems. I certainly wouldn't recommend the average user to start deleting everything in XP they can't identify as essential as that will lead to a unbootable system faster then you can say "what does /system32/ do? Never heard of it!".

I know I've said this before, but as far as putting your XP PC on steroids goes, you can't do better than to download the Tweak Guides Tweaking Companion for XP.
http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
If you ever finish reading it, let alone put all of Koroush Ghazi's recommendations into practice, you'll have a PC that screams.

BTW I agree totally Kassen about Vista. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole for at least another two years, if ever.

BTBTW He has also done a complete version of the tweak guide for Vista, and for anyone who has it I'd say it is absolutely a must read. This guy really knows what he's talking about. He spends all his spare time researching how to "fix" microsoft OSs.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:

Us Ozzies speak the King's English mate!

The King? Unfortunately the old bat is still alive mate Laughing

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:

I know I've said this before, but as far as putting your XP PC on steroids goes, you can't do better than to download the Tweak Guides Tweaking Companion for XP.

Yes, that one's good. Back when I was researching OSX as a possible migration platform I thought I'd simply look at a guide like that for OSX. I looked really hard too but I don't think one exists except for that crude PDF in a gothic font.

I briefly considered doing it myself but then Apple decided to update OSX and keep pace with MS sizes for OS's.... It's just too much for me.

Next time somebody asks me for a recommendation about a new computer I think I'll start by making sure they really need one. I mean; there are public libraries and paper mail and drawing on paper with a pencil....

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:

It's pretty easy....

system preferences/ International/ language/ edit list

You can also add dictionaries- but I've never felt the need to.

Don't know about Word though. Word seems to work like a traditional MS app. I've got Apple Pages- which is a lot better imo and cheaper too (than office).

Aha, i see my problem.

I was mistakenly chooseing "English" thinking it meant "English" when infact it means "American".

What I need to choose is "British English"!

I wonder if the Americans realise how insulting this is? Mad

Thanks for the help

Andy
brinxmat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen: Does the fact that Vista is so universally despised make MS' project dead?

I think so. This leaves only one major player that can realistically leverage an operating system to market: Apple. And they are somewhat retarded as any disgruntled user of OS 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 that has been left out in the cold on their ownsome will tell you.

I use Ubuntu exclusively at work, but as a viable alternative for the majority of people, it has a long way to go (like dropping Gnome/KDE for a start).

v-un-v: Seamonkey!?!

brinxmat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, since we're no the topic: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-164632.html#164632
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brinxmat wrote:
Kassen: Does the fact that Vista is so universally despised make MS' project dead?

No, of course not. Lots of stuff is "universally despised" (fill in funny joke-examples here). Vista is only despised by people with a opinion on such things who also open their mouth.

People will swallow it like the Euro and processed food and taxes.

Quote:
I use Ubuntu exclusively at work, but as a viable alternative for the majority of people, it has a long way to go (like dropping Gnome/KDE for a start).

I think that's a matter of perception. With Windows too you have to do things like manually move dll's or trouble-shoot internet connections through the terminal. The majority of Windows users seems to depend on a minority of Windows users to occasionally fix stuff, clean spyware, etc. I think we could install Ubuntu everywhere and all would stay the same. True; most people can't do a complete 100% of the maintenance they may need to do but the exact same holds for Windows. My GF, for example, is quite intelligent, but simply not deeply into the nooks and crannies of OS's so when she had trouble installing a drawing tablets on XP she asked me. Eventually it took me THREE HOURS to get the cursed thing to work properly. What I'm saying is that there are computer-literate people who can manage XP most of the time, keep it relatively clean, etc, but still need to consult "a techie" every once in a while or there will be trouble. I think that's roughly the level of usability where Ubuntu is now as well. I could mention Ubuntu's "live" install which I used to make sure the tablet was functional at all detected it immediately but that would be a cheap-shot as Ubuntu has other devices that give that OS issues.

In many cases this is also a matter of self-confidence. I've been asked to install a sound card on a Mac once and warned I had never done such a thing before and his guess was at least as good as mine. So, one puts up one's "serious face", hits enter a few times and maybe reboot and all is well. The Mac's owner really didn't need me at all for this but he felt he did. I re-ordered the things I quoted from you but I should now explain that this is why I mention Nintendo below.

It's amusing BTW how your opinion on Ubuntu is so similar to my own about OSX; I think it has a long way to go and the first step should be dropping Aqua :¬)

Quote:

I think so. This leaves only one major player that can realistically leverage an operating system to market: Apple. And they are somewhat retarded as any disgruntled user of OS 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 that has been left out in the cold on their ownsome will tell you.

That has several aspects. I think that as a OS OSX is superior to Windows in many ways but I sincerely hope Apple never gets MS's market-share. A Apple monopoly would increase Apple prices yet more, ensuring only a small fraction of the population can afford a computer. With closed hard AND software we'd be completely at their mercy, even more-so then with MS now.

But, I don't think what you are saying is true. Apple took Free BSD and put a flashy graphical shell on top of it, marketed it and presto; new OS. Lots of companies could do this or similar tricks. Sony could, Phillips, IBM, Nintendo, Nokia, any of the larger media companies could pull such a move, various governments could as well, if they wanted to.

This is way off-topic but I do think that like with browsers a lot of trouble could be saved with more careful minding of standards (this was the issue with the tablet as well, BTW)

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Apple took Free BSD and put a flashy graphical shell on top of it, marketed it and presto; new OS.

Really Apple brought Next to get hold of NEXTSTEP which turned into OS X. NEXTSTEP ran on BSD on top of the Mach microkernel so this is what we now have with OS X.

Apple didn't have the ability to come up with an OS, just look at Project Copland.

I did a bit of work on NEXTSTEP useing the rather lovely NextCube in the late 80's, it was way ahead of it's time then while now it is just dated.

Of course it looks nicer now because it uses CoreGraphics/Quartz for rendering but its the same old shit underneath!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

What I need to choose is "British English"!

I wonder if the Americans realise how insulting this is? Mad

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm now in bootcamp now and XP is throwing up all kinds of weird shit again Shocked

ps- I just tried to save a screenshot, but XP is now telling that the 'server is busy'- what f**kin server??? grrrr- I hate windows!! Twisted Evil can't seem to quit either. How does one force quit a program in XP?

pps- XP doesn't like 'realise' I think it thinks it should have a zed in it Exclamation

Page 2 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: