electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
iCab
Page 1 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: iCab
Subject description: iWant! :D
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Apple folks- you gotta try out iCab. It's awesome!

http://www.icab.de/index.html

Yes I'm sorry Jan- I'm almost spamming Embarassed , but iCab is really something- far better than any other browser I've used so far for Macintosh. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now. It's not freeware- but I'd rather pay for something that isn't as crap as Safari (which I was paying for Saft anyway. Sad )

Fireflops? NO THANKS! Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: iCab
Subject description: iWant! :D
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Fireflops? NO THANKS! Laughing

Ah well it's better than IE, we PC users suffer badly, I know Wink

brinxmat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used iCab years ago, it was a lightweight browser with a nice HTML validation function. I can't say that I miss it since the transition from OS 9, though.

Firefox is a good browser, it's just that the Mac version is a split of the Windows branch, and is about two years behind the main branch.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brinxmat wrote:

Firefox is a good browser, it's just that the Mac version is a split of the Windows branch, and is about two years behind the main branch.

Well I beg to differ.

Firefox isn't written on Cocoa, so all the Apple services are missing- ie I can't clip anything to Notebook for eg. And yes Firefox behaves like a PC browser, bit I do miss the smart scroll function, and the fact that this forum seems to hate anything apart from Firefox Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Laughing

I haven't used Firefox for 6 months now. I'm not missing it.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What are the significant details for you that makes iCab better than Safari?

/Stefan

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:

Okay hang in there- I will answer this question in detail later (I'm actually in the middle or writing up my thesis!!!!) LOL

I'll start with one- eBay doesn't hang for one- neither do several other 'IE only' sites. I've got sick of looking at "page won't load" comments while surfing in Safari. iCab otoh, doesn't hang- at all.

Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Antimon wrote:

Okay hang in there- I will answer this question in detail later (I'm actually in the middle or writing up my thesis!!!!) LOL

I'll start with one- eBay doesn't hang for one- neither do several other 'IE only' sites. I've got sick of looking at "page won't load" comments while surfing in Safari. iCab otoh, doesn't hang- at all.

That's ok. I'm asking because I'm pretty pleased with Safari - nice minimal yet useful toolbar etc. My main issue is that the spellchecker here doesn't work, but I'm not willing to get this to work if it means sacrificing some other functionality. I've tried running Firefox, and I'm not very comfortable with that.

/Stefan

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
My main issue is that the spellchecker here doesn't work

hmm. Confused

It should do.

Unless of course that your Mac is set up for Swedish and you are posting in English? Question Then that would make sense. You could always make English your second prefered language in System Prefs. Idea Question

Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Antimon wrote:
My main issue is that the spellchecker here doesn't work

hmm. Confused

It should do.

Unless of course that your Mac is set up for Swedish and you are posting in English? Question Then that would make sense. You could always make English your second prefered language in System Prefs. Idea Question

No, I mean that if I open up the spellchecker in Safari on my Mac, I get a window where instead of text I see only blackness. Works fine on Firefox etc.

/Stefan

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you running Leopard?
Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, but I'm thinking about upgrading.

/Stefan

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SpellChecker doesn't work for me in safari either.

But as OSX spell checks for me (as long as you teach it correct English spellings) I am not overly worried.

Cheers

Andy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
SpellChecker doesn't work for me in safari either.

that'ds weerd cos sapariz speelchocker woiks feen fer mee hier

Shocked Laughing

However, I've just figured out that iCab's doesn't though! Shocked

I'm very particular about spelling- I always have been. I get kind of obsessive about it too. Which is both good and bad I suppose ? Very Happy

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sigh. why not all use standards?
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Sigh. why not all use standards?

If everyone was the same the world would be a boring place, unless they where all like me and then it would be hell.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, well, but then again we don't have to be same to use the same standard ....
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

If everyone was the same the world would be a boring place, unless they where all like me and then it would be hell.

There's lots of stuff one can "think different" about even after you leave the international standards needed for people to comunicate amongst eachother be.

Just imagine you read me saying; "yesterday I gave my neighbour's sick father a neck-shot" you'd be disgusted, now imagine I then said in Kassen-English "neckshot" means "cup of vegetable soup" and that all you had to do was buy a Kassen-dictionary to encode your writing in and all of your contacts needed one too to decode it you'd likely feel I was getting silly.

This is exactly what is happening with browsers though. There's already a lot of liberty in determining how to render or pronounce headers and emphasis and so on, there's really no need to make up extra stuff, HTML is meant speciffically so we *can* all be different, for example blind people that couldn't conform if they wanted to.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunetelay there are also negatives about standards as well.

HTML originally was basically a simplistic mark up language, for it to be used now as a rendering system for client/server based software systems (browsers/servers) seems to me madness and very limiting.

Midi is another example of a tired old standard that is not up to the job.

If everyone stuck to standards and waited for "standards committees" to change them, nothing would ever change.

Andy
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes and no.

I agree HTML isn't meant for what it's used for, tables were meant as *tables* to display data, not as ways to do layout but now we have CSS which is meant for this and keeps data and layout more seperate meaning (potentially) more compatibility for schreen readers, mobile devices and the like.

I seem to be in a minority, but I actually like what HTML is meant for, I like to read and I like to be able to set my own fonts and colours for more relaxed reading, I don't like corportate or Myspace pages, most of the time. If a page makes a sound I'll most likely close it immediately. I don't give browsers access to Java and often turn off or severely limit scripts, if I wanted to give you access to executing arbitrary code on my computer I'd make you a account Smile.

I'm not really sure where all this "progress"in web-design is going or what it's good for at all. It seems at times like many pages would like to be done in Flash instead of HTML, well, then, why not make a seperate and open standard for that? We already have FTP and HTML for different puposes, why not make a similar protocol for flash-style presentations for those who are into such things?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

But as OSX spell checks for me (as long as you teach it correct English spellings) I am not overly worried.

It just occurred to me Andy, you probably haven't got you international settings correctly set up in the system prefs. It took me a while to figure that one out- but now I don't have to keep on 'reminding' OSX.

As for the spellchecker Stefan, if you prioritise both Swedish and international English (or American if you prefer, except colour is spelt with a U Wink Laughing ) again in system prefs, then there is no worries about that EM spellchecker (this site doesn't like iCab or Safari anyway Sad )

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I have language set to English and region set to United Kingdom and both machines are still using an American dictionary.

Cheers

Andy
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why don't you just go back to IE?
I've never had any significant problems with it. Razz Laughing

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:

Wash your mouth out with soap Wink
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Uncle Krunkus wrote:

Wash your mouth out with soap Wink

That's not a particularly well constructed argument Bob! Very Happy

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry I thought you were joking as we are talking about macs.

Does IE run on macs then?

Cheers

Andy
Page 1 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: