electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Stein Grebstad
Bebop-o-tronics
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Bebop-o-tronics Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We have mentioned the subject of bebop-o-tronics in other threads.

This is a section of something which possibly might fall into that category.

This one is just a sketchy thing from the uncharted areas of my harddisk, just fun.. no deeper meaning.. and possibly I might take this one back to the drawing board. The thinmgie is just an extract.. so it starts kinda.. well.. in the middle of something and stops in the same way..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well........................ Rolling Eyes
the first part I would call it baroque-o-tronics the second one progressive-o-tronics. It doesn't sound jazzy enough to be considered bebop-o-tronics, but that's me Very Happy
we could ask other people to express their opinion on this.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer

Last edited by seraph on Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure.. well.. of course there is no jazz in there Smile

just me having fun
i have the same with a dude on sax somewhere which kinda sounds jazzy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whatever it is, its neat.
astroid power-up!

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds like bela fleck and the flecktones to me Very Happy
very much so, like irish music combined with fusion in a trio setting.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah well.. that is how the sketches often turn out... a bit weird..Very Happy
This is an example of many of the small ideas I get.. I write some sections.. then get stuck or just plainly forget it because I started writing something else. This time I seemingly recorded what I had and then forgot about it. I am trying to sort old stuff and this is one that showed up. I even found some rehearsel recordings of A Scanner Darkly and some other stuff I really haven´t´heard in a long time. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Asteroid is right, I think it sounds like Bela Fleck and the Flecktones too. This is a great compliment, BTW.

Great start, or whatever it is... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. I guess I should take this as a real compliment..! Very Happy
THX guys

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
spacek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great work elektro80 Very Happy i like this jazzy sound, do you play really or do u use some samples ? i would like to create things like this with my style...

here one of my tracks (sorry very bad mastering, very draft!!)
soul track remixed by myself
i would to know if you like this kind of music:
http://www.angstprod.com/forum/download.php?id=851

sorry for my language..in french maybe you'll understand me:

j'aime cet aspect jazzy (n'en déplaise à zeraph), comment procèdes tu ? tu joues du clavier ?

j'aimerais vraiment savoir faire des choses pareils, même avec des samples, mais vers une tendance plus dur

j'arrive seulement à produire des choses comme ça:

mais attention !!! à la fin le mastering est vraiment nul !! (je suis vraiment novice) j'ai transformé un morceau de soul

influences grunge-electro-with-bad-mastering

http://www.angstprod.com -> -> great label Wink
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

spacek wrote:
n'en déplaise à zeraph

who's zeraph Question

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

spacek wrote:
great work elektro80 Very Happy i like this jazzy sound, do you play really or do u use some samples ? i would like to create things like this with my style...

here one of my tracks (sorry very bad mastering, very draft!!)
soul track remixed by myself
i would to know if you like this kind of music:

I just played the stuff and recorded it in cubase using a roland module from hell.. the JV 1010. By samples you mean loops? No.. I never really use loops unless I make the noises myself and lop them for some purpose. I am still not that used to sampling so I mostly use synths when I can.

You song? that one at angstprod? Great stuff. It sounds to me like a mix between some of the more entertaining excesses of Richard Pinhas /Heldon ( http://cuneiformrecords.com/bandshtml/pinhas.html ) and Throbbing gristle ( http://www.throbbing-gristle.com/ )

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
spacek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm not a real musician, you are !
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked THX

So you want to make stuff like that or in that vein? Well.. obviously using loops limits the supply what to use and you might end up using cool loops that are already pretty profiled.. a lot of people are using loop CDs. Learning to play in some way or another is not really that hard but you must decide on it and mess about and rehearse a bit. We even have some very properly trained guys here like Seraph and others.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
spacek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Confused sorry seraph

yes i think it's necessary for me to learn music Smile

i don't like to use loops that other people have made for me (cd's etc...), i prefer old songs that i sample by myself !!

thx, i know now that i can learn more things here in this forum (i will learn to write english better too) Wink
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your english is just fine it seems! Very Happy
Seraph is running some sort of music training thing.. check his profile and website. Perhaps he could be your mentor? Very Happy
You already feel and think music. Aquiring more skills will probably be manageable. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spacek..
being completey untrained is not that bad either.. because then you often go directly for the good stuff.. copying form and structure.. and you learn a lot by doing that. Learning a bit more is cool though. Both playing skills and theory builds on top of this. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Seraph is running some sort of music training thing.. check his profile and website. Perhaps he could be your mentor? Very Happy

thanks Stein for advertising the Seraph School of Music love Hail the Master
Spacek
if you go to www.seraph.it and click on "projects" you'll see what Stein is talking about Very Happy

Quote:
spacek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

merci les gars Very Happy

i'm going to surf from your links
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And remember to make more music Very Happy
And please do post more stuff here

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
nightowl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's an interesting song, I like it. Wink
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i gave it a listen.

that took 2 hours +.

click
click
click
click

...Wink

it touches me really,
had to make a PM.

thats the music i like to have.
I surched for Bela Fleck and listened to many snippets at amazon.
There was nothing similar.
Ok they where short.............

Any tipps where to surch for that kind of music ?

How it is named ?
Baroque ? any tips for that ?
Progressiv ? also any tipps here please ?

hmmm... ? it's not alone that outer shell.
there is some magic in it
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX for the kind words.
I think I might have more of similar stuff myself recorded .. somewhere. I dunno quite how to find it. It might show up eventually. Basically everything that isn´t worked out in detail in advance ( which means lotsa sketces on paper and such ) ends up labelled with pretty nonsensical titles. Shocked Embarassed
I should have a fair number of short sketches that are perhaps a bit like BBC Radiophonic Workshop meets Thelonius Monk and a Hammond B-3 version of Django, Ligeti meets Coltrane and Jan Johansson or say Arvo Pärt meets Bo Hansson and Alfred Brendel. Quite often I only work out a few minutes of music or less. When I have recorded the initial ideas I forget it all. Shocked

As for music that resembles what you´ve just heard, I have no idea. Perhaps Carlo knows of something. Who knows, I might pick up these ideas again.

I did once, actually several times, explore some kind of semi-electronic euro retake on 50s and 60s jazz. However, stylistically this material didn´t work out too well when played with other musicians. I guess this was partly caused by the other guys being jazz musicians and the fact that I´m clearly not and what I wanted to do was not really jazz at all. Shocked

As for sketches, I´ve posted very few here.. but this one is pretty typical for how long these are: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-2426.html

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Perhaps Carlo knows of something.

the only thing I know is that I posted one example of bebop-o-tronics here

Very Happy

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You beat me to it. I was just about to post a link to the same piece.
I also saw my own post in your thread re my very old "ministry of loud" project, which was heavy rock minus the rock. Shocked -which explains why I have a lotsa snippets of weird stuff that sounds like Hawkwind meets Arnold Schoenberg and Thelonius Monk on one of my HDs. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now - this is going back a few years but - was a portion or most of the instrument recorded, in Bebopotronics a Yamaha DX7 or another FM instrument?
At least a few of them (especially in the later progressive portion) sounded very similar to the Yamaha series of machine's 'character' of audio. Smile

Just curious and of course ..... wishing there were more to both portions of that recording. Surprised Smile Much liked, both portions. Very Happy
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Stein Grebstad
Jump to: