electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Modular shopping list?
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
popsicko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Modular shopping list? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I feel I might be asking too much of people by posting such a long winded post. If you feel this is rude or think it would be better to split this up into several smaller post please let me know as I would be happy to split it up. This is also being posted on the AnalogHaven forums as I will most likely purchase from them.

So the original plan was to buy a bunch of DIY kits and build a dream synth. It's become apparent that I will be unable to do this for the foreseeable future. With my current work situation and starting up my own business, I simply don't have the extra time it would require. My spare time goes to making tunes!
So, with that being said, I've decided to go the prebuilt modular route and to start with the eurorack format. I would like to start off with a good basic synth that is good for melodic music but has some stuff going on that I can explore a bit and get some good noise out of. This will be my one and only synth replacing all my software as I'm sick of the computer. I used to have a bunch of gear and sold it all for the computer dream.. . . . . . regret.. . .
I'm thinking Doepfer for all my odds and ends and some of the more oddball stuff for my noise makers.
I want the weird stuff that makes all the noisy fun stuff, but that can be tamed/patched to play melodies and such.

Here is what I'm thinking as far as my intial set-up:
- Oscillators (at least 2)*
- Noise source (have not researched this yet, Zorlon Cannon looks cool, a little expensive)
- Mixer
- Filter (polivoks vcf or frequensteiner or synthacon . . . .AHH!)
- Env ( probably 2? Amp and filter? Maybe another for pitch?)
- Ring mod (my fav, this is a must for me)
- MIDI/CV *†
- Power Supply ††

You can probably guess that I'm coming from a prebuilt synth background and am not thinking outside the box much. Sorry, I will, but I got to get the box built first! I feel I'm missing some key ingredients. Probably math and mixing modules, modifiers of some sort. I know that these are probably the most important and get the least amount of praise, but I find them a little confusing.

*† I would happily take any recommendations for MIDI/CV modules. I do intend to add more modules, and a sequencer. I don't know if that effects which MIDI/CV module to get. I have a PAIA Fatman that works as a MIDI/CV but I don't know if it works as I don't have a way of testing it and I did not build the unit.

*Any oscillator recommendations? Do I need to buy them separately or does someone make a multi osc module ie- two ocs and a sub?
Can duophony be achieved on a modular? I have the Oddity software synth and it is one of my favorite features! Having the two osc's track to different keys then add ring mod, woo hooo!!! Dirty!!
Do you need a dedicated LFO if you have osc's?
Can you sync lfos to MIDI via CV? Or at least to a sequencer that may be sync to MIDI?

†† The most confusing thing for me is power. How do I power all this stuff without having to get into a Doepfer rack? They are so expensive. So much that I find it to be the biggest deterrent to going forward with this.

Again, forgive me for the long winded post. I was hoping to become an active part of the DIY forums and now I'm hoping to become a part of the Modular forums and eventual work my way over to the DIY stuff in the future.
Thanks for any and all your help and suggestions, I've learned so much just going though all the old post on this forum. IT's a bit daunting once all this info gets rattling around your head.

Thanks again!
-brad
popsicko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wish AnalogHaven had reviews on each module. Kinda like Amazon has for books and music. That would be way more informative than reading the copy that the manufacturers sent to them.
There is so much to know and remember.

-b
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AnalogHaven is good, but they are only really one source.

Specific modules, maybe we can comment here, or maybe you can read the forums. There's lots here to check out, and people here probably own those modules.

Being specific with your queries helps too. Smile

Home,My Studio,and another view
popsicko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think my head is gonna explode! So much reading. My eyes are burning!! At some point I'll have to make some music and forget about this analog stuff!
Yeah right!
-b
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Popsicko, you're in L.A. Have you been to AnalogHaven? They have a bunch of stuff in their store you could look at. It might help. They also get used gear. Try to find local musicians with modular gear and ask them why they have what they have and what they do with it. There is a lot of stuff out there and it can be bewildering so do some homework and eventually you'll end up buying something. Try not to spend everything at once though.
popsicko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I had a car I'd hit up Analog Haven. I'm thinking about taking a bus or train there. It's a bit of a drive from where I live. Googlemaps says 30min, so it'll probably take an hour.
Have you been there?
Do they let you try things out?
That would answer so many questions. Just plug away and grab up what catches my fancy!
Gotta check my schedule and see when I can make that journey.
Anyone live in Downtown LA? Want to meet up and teach/show off? I'll bring the wine/beer/liquor/water!
-brad
popsicko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So here is where I'm at so far.

VCO
Noise
Mixer:
- Doepfer $65.00 or
- Plan B $125.00
ENV:
-Doepfer Quad ADSR $265.00
LFO:
-Doepfer Quad LFO $$145.00
Filter:
- Livewire Frequensteiner $225.00 or Harvestman Polivoks $195.00
Ring Mod:
- Doepfer $99.00
MIDI:
- Doepfer &230.00
Power:

So, as you can see, I still don't know what to do for an oscillator. Is Doepfer the only one? Power supply as well? I'm having a hard time convincing myself to drop $400 on a piece of equipment that makes no sound!! It's like my future modular is being held for ransom. Are there any alternatives to the doepfer rack?
Any bad/good experiences with my list so far?
Thanks
-brad
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Look around on this forum and you'll find instructions (well, clues and pictures anyway) about how to build your own "cabinet" to house Eurorack gear. You might also consider the Frac rack format. http://blacet.com/ can get you started with a rack and power supply for about $200. Additional racks are about $79 and that supply will handle 2 racks easily. That's the only format I'm aware of where the racks are cheap. There is also a lot of DIY activity in Frac Rack if that appeals to you. Blacet sells good kits - an option to consider if you're handy with a soldering iron though the savings/time ratio is not huge.
popsicko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll most likely end up with both a frac and a euro rack. The stuff I really want right now is not available in the frac format right now, but there are some things in frac that I have my eye on as well.
I thought I read somewhere that a Frac rack can fit Eurorack modules somehow. I'll continue my search!
-b
fireclown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: shopping
Subject description: quicker dirtier modules
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I would suggest in place of the quad lfo and quad adsr is
one or two vc lfo's, and two regular adsr modules. I think youd save a slight amount if you picked them up used, and maybe take up a little less valuable space, with more bang for the buck right off the bat. The quad lfo's are awfully static until you turn the knob, and the quad adsr only has one out per EG. Not the biggest drawbacks for either of them, but if you were in a hurry to make crazy noises, the vc lfo feature is critical, and the simplicity of driving vca and vcf from one EG with two integral outputs has its advantages. These just seem like valid ideas from here. Depending on how much you spend for rack space/power housings, it gets hard to put together something exciting without the right modules early in the game.
I would think 2-3 EG's, a VCA or two and one or two fully functioning lfo's (about 2/3's of a single space rack) would put you right with whatever VCO and VCF you try. The A-109 is a nice basic module that gives you lots of fancy tricks in one low cost piece, to really jumpstart some fun.
good luck!

popsicko wrote:
So here is where I'm at so far.

VCO
Noise
Mixer:
- Doepfer $65.00 or
- Plan B $125.00
ENV:
-Doepfer Quad ADSR $265.00
LFO:
-Doepfer Quad LFO $$145.00
Filter:
- Livewire Frequensteiner $225.00 or Harvestman Polivoks $195.00
Ring Mod:
- Doepfer $99.00
MIDI:
- Doepfer &230.00
Power:

So, as you can see, I still don't know what to do for an oscillator. Is Doepfer the only one? Power supply as well? I'm having a hard time convincing myself to drop $400 on a piece of equipment that makes no sound!! It's like my future modular is being held for ransom. Are there any alternatives to the doepfer rack?
Any bad/good experiences with my list so far?
Thanks
-brad
REwire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You live closer to Analogue Haven than many in LA, even me. It takes me 50 minutues to get there. From downtown LA it'd be shorter. You owe it to yourself to get there and try that stuff out. There are numereous VCO's you can hear and configurations you can test. Yes, everything is on dispaly and playable, Frac and Eurorack.

Btw, LA without a car is like the Sahara without a camel. Maybe modular should be second concern.

astroid power-up!

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for the love of god throw a multiple in there.

and at least one vca

my rack started out at

2vco
2env
1multiple
1s&h/noise
1 multimode filter
1 lfo
1 vca

and that was actually pretty spectacular. next thing i got was another vca. you don't know how useful that stuff is until you're using it, so start minimal.

Kwote

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this probably won't help you but i feel like listing my modules:

all blacet format,

I/O
VCO
EG1
Filthy Filtre
Micro LFO x2
Mult/Atten
Dual Linear VCA
Klangwerk
Stonz Phase

i desperately need a mixer module. don't skimp on that.

Check out a preview:
http://www.kwotemusic.com/JourneyToSomewherePreview.mp3
popsicko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Multiples, VCAs, I/Os!! That's the stuff I'm talking about. I know I need a filter, osc and envs, those are on every synth I've had but these other things are hidden on most synths or at least not so obvious. They are absolutely necessary for a modular though.
Thanks guys!
-b
Kwote

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the Blacet I/O is fucking very awesome!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Check out a preview:
Per

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: What I bought if I known better... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a fairly big modular now, and I have made some mistakes and some experiences:
VCOs: It depends what you are looking for. To me, the best sounding on the market is Analogue Systems and Plan B. But they don't stay in tune, and Plan B is expensive. Cheap, and extremly stable, but with a bit one dimensional sound, is Doepfer A-110. Very Powerful, but high priced, is their Cyndustries Zeroschillator. Good quality for big money is also Cwejman. My suggestion is to mix three different VCOs to get the most of it. One nice newbie is the MFB 3 VCO-unit. That one, with a Doepfer and a Plan B or Analogue Systems would be a heavy 5 VCO bank.
Envelopes: The cheaper the better, in my view. The Doepfer Quad is good.
Mixers: The Doepfer A-138c can act as a mixer or a CV processor by adding bias and inverting voltages at a moderate price.
Filters: I have 10 different filter modules and have not yet found what I am looking for. First choice is always the vactrole low pass gate.
VCA: And that is leading to the vactrole low pass gate, a Buchla clone. Plan B and Dopefer have such modules, I have three of them and they are perfect for fat organic electronica. No sweeping resonance, but a very nice sound and they double as audio VCAs
SH/Random:I use two great modules: The Wiard Noise Ring, and the Dopefer Quantized random voltages module. Both are great, and lifts you above the boring S/H level.
Noise: If I started from scratch, I have probably gone for the Blacet module with random and noise in the same package. The Wiard module can act as a noise source, so can the Cwejman VCOs if needed.
One thing to consider is the cost of the rack. The Frack Rack is much lower in price, and one power unit can deliver energy to two racks.
And mixing Doepfer and Frack rack works good as long as you have some sort of case to put the Frack rack in.
Per
popsicko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Per!!
I just read your post on modular experiences and mistakes last night. Really awesome thread by the way.

I like the Cwejman VCO because it's 2 vco's and a ring modulator, but the price is . . . ouch!! Zero osc is totally out of the question for my starter system. Looks like it would be fun though.

I'm also kind interested in the AFG that Liveware is goanna release, probably out of my range as well for the time being.

MFB? Is that a digital oscillator? If so, have you heard it? Any good?

I thought I read the the tuning instabilities with the plan b and AS VCO might be because of bad grounding. Have you heard that? Any truth to it?

I'm still learning about mixers, multiples, VCAs and such. Never used them before. Gotta figure out why I need them.

Vactrol Low Pass Gate = gate as a filter? I don't get it. More reading, as I've seen this in quite a few threads.

Racks!?!? Why could there not just be one format? I'll end up with both I'm sure, but some of my immediate wants are euro format. I'll most likely buy the DIY power kit from Doepfer and build a case for it. Save me a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks!
-brad
Per

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cwejman and Doepfer is rock stable in tuning. I have no idea about grounding problems, I only notice that my AS and Plan B drift out of tune, as well as the expensive Zeroschillators.
Yes, the MFD has a digital core, but with three VCOs and a digital ring modulator, it can be pretty fat. I use it a lot, actually, for pads and such sounds.
The Low Pass Gate is a mix of VCA and VCF, that can do one of the jobs or both. Due to Vactrols, small leds and light sensitive resistors that are connected, they are a bit slow compared to VCAs but gives a smooth sound that I appreciate.
As they act like a Low Pass Filter it is a way to get one filter more to a small system, or opens up for one more agressive filter and one LPG for more soft purposes.
Per
Kwote

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

popsicko wrote:
I'm still learning about mixers, multiples, VCAs and such. Never used them before. Gotta figure out why I need them.

these are things you'll learn very quickly but i'll answer you anyway.

first off i'll just say that they're some of the most essential modules for your system.

VCA is basically a voltage controlled attenuator. plug a VCO into the input. in the most typical patch the output would then go to your recording system, amp, etc. the knob attenuates your signal. fully open(FCW) will be full output of the original signal being fed into the VCA. fully closed(FCCW) will be silence. most VCA's don't have gain(although some do) so you won't be depending on it for boosting your signal beyond it's highest point. there will also be a CV input. take the output of an Envelope Generator and plug it into the VCA's CV in and you can now envelope the VCO. it'll open the VCA every time the EG is gated.

a multiple is very simple. i have a 1 in 3 out mult by blacet. typically mults will have no attenuation. the blacet has attenuation for only one of the outs. anyways, want an audio or cv signal to travel to multiple inputs? take an lfo out to the input of the multiple then take the outputs of the mult to whatever you want to modulate. you could send it the fm input of a VCO, the frequency cv of your filter, the cv in of your VCA.

i like using mults for sending a gate signal to several places. take the gate out from your midi-cv converter to the input of the mult. then take the outs to the gate of an EG, and gates of 2 lfo's for example.

a mixer is basically the opposite of a multiple. a typical mixer would have 3 inputs and one output. take the triangle, pulse and sawtooth wave from a VCO and put each into the inputs of the mixer. take the output of the mixer and send it to the input of a filter. also the mixer will have attenuation so that you can decide how much of each signal you want sent to the output. it can also be used for CV. i have an lfo that has 5 different waveforms available simultaneously. take the square, tri and sine waves from the lfo, input em into the mixer, attenuate to taste then send the output to the freq cv of a filter for more unique, personalized filter sweeps.

attenuation is very important!! having lots of vca's and mixers or even passive attenuators can be very helpful. typically you don't want to send the full signal of a cv to modulate something as it can be overbearing. overbearing can be good but you don't want that all the time. there's a lot to be said for subtlety.

hope this gives you a good head start.

-Kwote

Check out a preview:
popsicko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Man you guys are awesome!!!!
I'm learning so much from your replies and searching around.
Some of the things I ask I just know are pretty basic but no one gets bent out of shape about it. I can't wait till I'm able to contribute in a more helpful, productive fashion.
THANK YOU!!!!
-b
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1 vote more for LPGs . this are the only VCAs i'm happy with.
also one more for doepfer quad ADSR. You get not the same if you would get 4 single ADSR.
Per

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On www.clavia.se there is a free version of the G2, their excellent virtual modular. There you can experience how different modules work together. and can be connected. The sounds are in some ways more polite than in real analogue word, but I can´t think of a better tutorial.
And it is for free.
Per
morbius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Modular Shopping list
Subject description: What about Dotcom?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess I'll throw another hat in the ring. I haven't heard anyone mention 'dotcom' (www.synthesizers.com). Lemme give you the basics. Mook-like, but not a duplicate. Made in Texas, one of the finest countries in the USA. The best customer service of any company/product I've ever expereinced (Roger actually bends-over backwards). The pricing is very reasonable. The build quality is very good. You can easily modify most modules if you want to. Very clean design, and not at all 'Moog-like' behind the panels (and that's a very good thing).

The Q-106 oscillators stay in tune... do not drift... like, at all.... period. Dotcom has two sequencers... the Q119... and a Moog-clone of the 960 Sequential Controller and 962 Sequential Switch.... and the Q960 is actually better than the original Moog 960... (has a couple of extra options, and modifications you can do easily). Dotcom interfaces well with other makes... so if you want a certain module from another outfit, the power and fit can be easily addressed almost always. Some makes even make 'dotcom format' versions (Cyndustries Zeroscillator) for example... and there are several 3rd-party people making all sorts of modules in dotcom-format.

Unless I'm mistaken... besides Moog and Club of the Knobs (Moog clone in europe)... Dotcom has the only oscillators with the 'octave' range switches, which lets you change octaves (Lo; 32'; 16'; 8'; 4'; and 2') by simply flipping the switch. (Very handy... vs. having to retune). Someone will say 'Yeah... but dotcom doesn't offer an LFO'. That's true. But- thru a real simple patch, I've had my Q-106's go for.... I dunno.... something like 10 hours, and still hadn't completed one cycle. (Is that low enough for ya?).

Did someone say 'mixer'? Dotcom's 8-channel mixer has 6 pots, and 2 channels with no pots... and 3 outputs (A, B, and all)... and I've modified mine with switches, so I can use them as presets for audio and/or CV's (and no... there's no clicks or pops). There's currently two filters... State Variable (hi-pass, lo-pass, band-pass, band-reject), and the Ladder Filter (based on the Moog design). Most modules have jumpers on the PCB's which allow you to change factory defaults... or even modify them by adding switches... like the Envelope Generators have two timing slopes. Changing the jumper lets you change from a shorter response to a longer response... and if you do the very simple modification, you can switch that funtion from the front panel.

Synthesizers.com has a very good user's group on Yahoo. Lots of very smart people willing to give good advice... and no flaming!... at all! I bought my first system from dotcom in 2001 (a 44 and two 22-space cabinets), after using Moog modulars, ARP-2500 and ARP-2600's all my life. Since then, I've added much more, and even bought a custom portable system, which brings me up to 158-spaces, and I'm maxed-out... well, almost... you can add modules to the rear of the studio cabinets. So with the modifications, special orders, and custom modules... I've got probably $25-k worth of dotcom. (Not bragging... but I've got more invested in patchcords than some people have in their entire system).

Also- Dotcom has a great resale rate. Depending on the condition... normally 80% of the new price... and modules up for sale are snapped-up very quickly... usually before they ever make it to evilbay.

By now, you probably think I'm a salesman. Nope. But I wouldn't have invested all them bucks if I weren't happy with the 'bang-for-the-buck' ratio. I'll try to post a photo for ya.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

www.unisynth.com

morbius001a@yahoo.com
popsicko

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, upon further reading, research, and messing around with the Modular Synth Planner, I've kinda decided on this initial set-up.

MFB OSC1
LiveWire Frequensteiner (Is this 12 or 24? The web was not helpful)
Plan B Model 9 Mixer/Attenuator and Model 29 Dynamic Mult
Doepfer Low Pass Gate, VC ADSR, VC LFO, and Multiple

I really wanted to be able to put audio in like an MS20, but the only way I've found is with an expensive Analog Systems module.
Also thought about using Doepfer Quantized Stored Random, maybe their audio in as well.
If you can think of anything better or have some yummy ideas for me please post 'em.
THanks!
-b
Jari Jokinen

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Frequensteiner sounds two pole / 12dB to me.

I notice, that you have plenty of attenuating (M9 and M29) for a small system...
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: