electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
AY-3-8910/12/13 "module"
Page 2 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got a couple of AY-3-8912s that were being sold off cheap as obsolete stock. I haven't done anything with them, so any ideas would be welcome.

Gary
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check Thomas Henry's AY-Voice thread.

He did run into troubles because the PIC Axe with basic on it was too slow, but I heard a rumor that someone else was able to program with native code instead and surmount that problem. I haven't actually followed up on that myself, in part because I didn't want to spend the money on the compiler.

Regardless, there's lots of good information about using the AY chips there.
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that pointer elmegil - I'll have a look at that thread. I looked at my chips and in fact I only have one AY-3-8912. I think that I was getting confused with the two AY-3-8500s I have. They're old "ball and paddle" game ICs. I wonder if something interesting could be done with those (other than making a ball and paddle game, that is).

Gary
yogi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Guys, just a heads up: There is a MidiBox project for AY Chips, http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midibox_ay_ym_v2
I totally understand the the fun of 'working out your own project' but this project offers a proven design with a developed firmware.
The downside for some is the learning curve of the MidiBox OS/hardware, it's kind of like an 'Arduino' for midi apps, but a little more cryptic. Its very powerful but at the expense of being less user-friendly for a beginner.
At any rate may be worth a look?!?
Yogi
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A "little" ? Very Happy
yogi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
A "little" ? Very Happy

Smile Yea, can be TMI. It would be nice if there was more, very basic how-tos, like you find for the Arduino. On the other hand, the MidiBox audience is assumed to have some prior knowledge in regards to electronics, uCs or DIY construction, but it's not a prerequisite. So its kind of self-filtering, too few 'fresh' beginners have the patience to hang around long enough, so no one wants to spend their time with a 'Blinken Lights' project when they could be working on their own controller/synth/sequencer/lighting controller/whatever project.
The fact remains that most all the MidiBox projects have been built by Noobies that have never soldered before; just by following the directions.
There are PCBs for most modules and compiled default hex files for most all projects. But yea, you will have to read the schematics and build the wiring harness'. If you want to customize your build you may need to edit and re-compile the application code. Don't even need a programmer if you buy a PIC pre-burned with the bootloader, just upload your app via Midi. Anyone can complete most of the projects without writing any code or designing any hardware, just assemble the parts. And if there are questions, there are plenty of people on the forum that will lend a hand.
In the end, MIOS is a very powerful frame work (developed over the last 10 years) that would be very hard to re-create by a solo effort in spare time. So it boils down to spending time learning MIOS or spending time learning to be a expert programmer/hardware designer and developing a sophisticated project from the ground up.
Once you dig into it, it's not so bad; it is modular so the lessons learned in one project will be familiar in the next, (kind of like 'tader chips 'can't have just one').
Sorry to run on so long,
Yogi
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Was meant to be a silly comment; I've tried to get into MIDIBox a couple of times and walked away in confusion each time. And I'm not a pure greenhorn either.
yogi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Didn't mean to sound like a rant, and I assume that most readers on this forum are way beyond the 'which end of the soldering iron do I hold?' stage.
Just trying to share, IMO, a really great project. Will admit it seems ruff around the edges and can be confusing as hell at times, but after the first build you catch on to the hard/software blocks that make-up a typical project (which most projects skim over a bit, because it can be redundant). Which I think is why there aren't many 'hand holding' type tuts. But it's really not worse then trying to sort out a modular synth for the first time.
ANYWAY, back to the main topic: I also have a couple AYs stashed for a synth one of these days, hopefully sooner then later. Very Happy
Yogi
Tony Deff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: you still have that info/hardware? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

new voodoo wrote:
I am DEFINITELY interested.
I've got some 8910/12s and I've got maybe 20, so I'd LOVE to figure out a relatively cheap way to make about 18 devices to disseminate to some friends and the alternatives that I can find seem to be PICs and Arduinos to run it and that does seem counterproductive....
Sorry for slow reply; I didn't realise from e-mail alert you were speaking to me. Are you speaking to me?! (Robert de Niro)

Yep, I have it all still; hate to throw anything. What d'ya need?
Cct diagrams? PCB negative? Board? CMos Z80s?
Do you have the means to blow a 2816 EEprom?

Am a bit preoccupied fo the next few weeks.
new voodoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: you still have that info/hardware? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tony Deff wrote:
. Are you speaking to me?!

Cct diagrams? PCB negative? Board? CMos Z80s?
Do you have the means to blow a 2816 EEprom?

Am a bit preoccupied fo the next few weeks.

in order:
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
maybe (prbably. havent dont exactly THAT but have many programmers etc and im sure i can figure out something..I dont throw away anything EVER either..my old lady LOVES that, trust me)
new voodoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh, just PM me please, when you get the chance of course
Page 2 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: