electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
The Threeler
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 8 of 10 [246 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Argitoth

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HOLY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...REAKIN Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Bandpass on Mode 2/3 on Output 2/3... 3 different outputs, slightly different characters... 3 outs x 4 modes = 12 variations...

FAVORITE BEST FILTER EVER IN THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!

audio demos coming soon.
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
audio demos coming soon.

Glad it's working out for you. Very Happy

Remember to explore all the crazy stuff up above resonance. It's really insane!

Looking forward to the demos -- there are so many ways to use this circuit, I know I've only scratched the surface.

Very Happy

Ian
Argitoth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, I think there is actually a bit of a problem. Turning the coarse tune to about 3.5 mark and the frequency cv to 10, and using a MOTM-800 to control the filter, there's not enough control voltage to hear anything (when in lowpass mode). So I'm not getting enough DC signal to control the filter. <removed>

Must be a wrong resistor somewhere, right?

EDIT: Checked all resistors, all values seem to be correct.
EDIT: Oh and the Threeler can be used as a limited vc-slew and LFO. sweet! very unique lfo shapes too. Crazy modulation action when feeding back into itself and using an LFO as an input.
Argitoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AUDIO DEMO, one more to follow.

http://soundcloud.com/elanhickler/threeler-synth-guitar
Argitoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simultaneous recording of all three outs:

http://soundcloud.com/elanhickler/threeler-filter-sweeps-out-1
http://soundcloud.com/elanhickler/threeler-filter-sweeps-out-2
http://soundcloud.com/elanhickler/threeler-filter-sweeps-out-3
bridechamber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic demos Elan!!!!!!!!
softfin

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:

Hey, congrats on the succesfull threeler build! It is indeed an awesome module to have! Love mine as well Ohm...
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
AUDIO DEMO, one more to follow.

http://soundcloud.com/elanhickler/threeler-synth-guitar

cool, glad to see you making such very good music.

a friend sent me the file some days ago. so i was surching now for the place it was posted.......
in fact, feedbacks are the reason why EVERY of my Filters have two inputs, usually each with an attenuator.
But it's a long time ago that i patched feedbacks on filters.
stijn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="machine.cuisine"]
frijitz wrote:
Imagine the schematic bent around into a circle. The middle terminals are the A0 and A1 connections. Each of those connects to one of the outer terminals in each switch position. You can tell which ones by looking or by using an ohmmeter. In the first position they contact the terminals labeled "1" in the schematic. In the second position they contact the next pair in the schematic, and so on.
Ian

Hi there, I'm having some trouble getting my threeler to work

even with this explenation I still can't figure out how to wire the rotary switch. I've hooked up the middle terminals with A0 and A1
A0 contacts terminals 1 2 3 4
A1 contacts terminals 7 8 9 10
I've connected the grnd to terminals 1 2 3 4
and -V to terminals 7 8 9 10

There is a weak signal at all outputs, it's the same at all outputs in all modes. the resonance and cv resonance work.
Is there something wrong in the wireing or should I look elsewhere?
frijitz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stijn wrote:
I've hooked up the middle terminals with A0 and A1

If I understand what you are saying, then Gnd should go to 1, 3, 5 and 6 and +12V should go to 2, 4, 7 and 8. There is no connection to -12V. (Refer to the schematic.)

Very Happy

Ian
stijn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
stijn wrote:

If I understand what you are saying, then Gnd should go to 1, 3, 5 and 6 and +12V should go to 2, 4, 7 and 8. There is no connection to -12V. (Refer to the schematic.)

Very Happy

Ian

tnx for the fast reply Ian!
modes are working now.
next problem is coarse tune and fine tune aren't working. how do I wire the coarse tune pot and where else should I look.
stijn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
stijn wrote:

Very Happy

Ian

tnx for the fast reply Ian!
modes are working now.
next problem is coarse tune and fine tune aren't working. how do I wire the coarse tune pot and where else should I look.
frijitz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stijn wrote:
how do I wire the coarse tune pot and where else should I look.

The Coarse tune pot connects to J2, as indicated on the I/O Pinout diagram in the docs. The outside legs connect to pins 1 (V-) and 2 (V+). The middle leg connects to pin 6, labeled "Coarse F".

Please be careful that the pots on the board do not short out. You may need to trim excess metal from the middle terminal or make certain the pots are mounted slightly above the board.

Very Happy

Ian
stijn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tnx Ian.
wireing is ok now and the pots don't touch the pcb but still no working filter.
where to look now? again it seems that the mode swich is working, also resonance and resonance cv is working, but no coarse and fine tune. Also the signal at the outputs is very weak.
frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stijn wrote:
...where to look now? again it seems that the mode swich is working, also resonance and resonance cv is working, but no coarse and fine tune. Also the signal at the outputs is very weak.

Hard to know where to look next. It sounds like more than one problem. Does the filter self-resonate with the resonance turned way up and no input? Can you measure the amplitude of the output signal?

Very Happy

Ian
frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stijn wrote:
the pots don't touch the pcb...

Just to make extra sure this is clear. The potential problem is with the middle pins of the pots shorting to the adjacent pads (not the pot body touching the boared or anything like that.)

Very Happy

Ian
stijn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Ian,

I cannot find the time to properly troubelshoot my threeler at this moment. I'm sure the pots aren't the problem and I found out that I placed a 2k resistor instead of a 2k tempco, I will replace it.
As soon as I have some time I will post my findings. Thanks for your time!
stijn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oke I got my threeler working!! awesome filter!! but there are still a few things that need attention.
ok first the reason the course tune didn't work was I had nothing installed in the R36 B place. what resistor value should be there? it's not in the building docs.
I still have a problem with the resonance,turning the knob at 1/3th it suddenly flips to very high resonance. what could be the problem?
frijitz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stijn wrote:
ok first the reason the course tune didn't work was I had nothing installed in the R36 B place. what resistor value should be there? it's not in the building docs.

Glad you're making progress. There is only one R36. "a" and "b" simply denote alternate mounting positions, depending on which is most convenient for whatever transistor pair you have. "a" is meant for if you use a 2sa798. Otherwise "b" is probably better.

Quote:
I still have a problem with the resonance,turning the knob at 1/3th it suddenly flips to very high resonance. what could be the problem?

I'm not sure, but it may be OK. Self oscillation turns on quite rapidly. There is lots of control above the resonance onset, since that's where all the wild nonlinear and chaotic behavior is. Remember, this is as much a noisemaker as a filter.

Very Happy

Ian
mig27

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject:  Success! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to report of a successful Threeler build.
The thing worked right away when I fired it up the first time.

What a stellar design!
Easily the best filter in my system.
Just ordered a second PCB.

And to top this, I now have absolutely no more reason to keep my MS20.
No regrets for sure.

Thanks so much for this awesome awesome project.
Hail the Master

Michael
frijitz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Success! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mig27 wrote:
Thanks so much for this awesome awesome project....

You're welcome! Glad it's working out OK for you.

Very Happy

Ian
mig27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was thinking about modding my threeler to get more serial filter combinations out of it.

Per design it has:
Mode 1: LLL
Mode 2: LLH
Mode 3: LHH
Mode 4: HHH

With 3 dual mode filters, there are 2^3=8 possibilities.
These are the four other possible combinations:
LHL
HLL
HLH
HHL

Now since the filter mode knob only switches 12V on or off, I was planning on replacing it with 3 single through switches, allowing for those 8 possible combinations.

The catch is that I only see two connection points for the switched 12V: A0 and A1.
Can anyone point me to the point where I could insert the third switched 12V? Like the hypothetical A3?

Hope this makes sense..

Thanks!

Michael
frijitz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mig27 wrote:
I was thinking about modding my threeler to get more serial filter combinations out of it.....
Now since the filter mode knob only switches 12V on or off, I was planning on replacing it with 3 single through switches, allowing for those 8 possible combinations.

Well, it's not quite that simple, since the circuit actually uses a MUX plus analog switches. If you know what you are doing, you could remove the analog switches and put in three mechanical SPDT switches to get HP/LP for all three sections.

When I was originally working on the design I had a general layout (filter foundry) where I could easily hook up any combination of stages, and I looked at a large number of possibilities. In addition to the HP/LP choices there is also the decision of where to put the nonlinear gain stage in the loop.

If you do what you are thinking of, two of the combinations will not work at all, and the other two will work, but not very well.

Very Happy

Ian
mig27

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Ian,

Thanks for the explanation.
As a matter of fact I know nothing about MUXes and shall better leave everything as it is Wink

Michael
Fetafarmer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just playing with my Threeler. It's such an incredible filter. I see that I never posted a pic of it - this isn't the best one, but if I don't post it now, another two years will go by before I think of it again ; >

Kevin

threeler.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.67 KB
 Viewed:  1587 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

threeler.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 8 of 10 [246 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: