electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Photos of what you've built with JH PCBs
Page 7 of 9 [215 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
strategy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Hey Paul! That's an interesting and sparse design. It it working well?

Tom

Hi! Yes, it really is working well! The lack of labelling works for me except I tend to forget which jack is in and which is out! So I try to mark those with one of those clear plastic dome shaped enclosure feet.

I like equipment that can double as floor or mixing desk unit, tend to shy away from rack space things with rack ears etc.

One of the things I don't look forward to repeating is working with a 4PDT stomp switch. Never did track down a pinout schem for this so it took me and VTL5C3 some considerable time identifying the pinout w/ a meter. What a pain.

So far I've used this on organ with one of my bands and it sounds very good in that context- capable almost of Leslie speaker type sounds with a little pitch bend in the 'fall' stage of the LFO! I also used it in stereo at a recent 'techno' type performance with drum machines etc. Was very 3-dimensional sounding on a stereo PA system!

- Strategy

toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

buchlasized FS1A! finally usable Smile had to make some brackets to mount the PCBs

buchlasizedFS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  475.39 KB
 Viewed:  613 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

buchlasizedFS.jpg

TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:
buchlasized FS1A! finally usable Smile had to make some brackets to mount the PCBs

oh,nice! Cool
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my Son of Storm Tide Flanger -

Jurgen Haible Son of Storm Tide Flanger front
Jurgen Haible Son of Storm Tide Flanger back

The layout of the front panel isn't the greatest - but everything's there at least.

The construction of this threw me a few problems. First, I ordered the wrong kind of resistors - those big fat ones are cute and cheap but don't really fit well. I was able to substitute a bunch of them with normal sized ones I had on hand, but still had to use a lot of the big ones. Also, I didn't really have the right size bracket, so used 2 smaller ones instead, and then cut them a bit too small for the components, so I ended up angling the pcb to make it all fit. Doesn't look great, but it works.

Oh - it's an excellent sounding flanger, and I haven't even calibrated it yet!
TekniK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice built,did you adapt the output level because its quit low?
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No - I just built it as is, and I find that the active level is the same as the bypass level if I have the input level all the way up. If you have the mix all the way over to bbd, there are some settings where it goes pretty low, but there are also some that are louder.

Oh and thanks, but I think I like your design better! I tried to find a way to fit everything into 2U, but couldn't do it.
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:
No - I just built it as is, and I find that the active level is the same as the bypass level if I have the input level all the way up. If you have the mix all the way over to bbd, there are some settings where it goes pretty low, but there are also some that are louder.

Oh and thanks, but I think I like your design better! I tried to find a way to fit everything into 2U, but couldn't do it.

Strange ,i have a very big difference in levels/

I think your panel is not that bad for a MOTM style Steve,but yes one knob row could has been moved a bit lower if the switch would be more to the left.
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:

I just saw your design made it to matrixsynth!
http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/search/label/JH

Levels: Generally, it should have approximately unity gain. High resonance or notches where the main signal enery is, with alter the amplitude of course, but generally, it's designed for unity gain.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

Levels: Generally, it should have approximately unity gain. High resonance or notches where the main signal enery is, with alter the amplitude of course, but generally, it's designed for unity gain.

JH.
Then there is for sure a mistake in my pcb,i have to check some resistors then,i got the same problem in the resonator,the supplier did tagged resitor bags wrong,so i did need to swap some resistors.
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
jhaible wrote:

JH.
Then there is for sure a mistake in my pcb,i have to check some resistors then,i got the same problem in the resonator,the supplier did tagged resitor bags wrong,so i did need to swap some resistors.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation. As mixing up resistor values tends to happen with the ring that denotes the decimal power, you're easily in for errors in the order of a magnitude - 20dBs for mixing up an orange and red ring, or 40dbs for taking a brown ring for orange.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
slaughterhousesam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My living VCO...

there is another identical one right next to it

lovely stuff jurgen, lovely stuff Razz

002.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  858.91 KB
 Viewed:  2270 Time(s)

002.JPG

slaughterhousesam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and my interpolating scanners...

(both modules are eurorack format, 15v supply)

003.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  865.04 KB
 Viewed:  2212 Time(s)

003.JPG

slaughterhousesam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a nice panel can hide so many sins, cant it?

004.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1 MB
 Viewed:  2228 Time(s)

004.JPG

loydb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha. Awesome build! Do you have an FPD file for that Living VCO panel? I'm trying to figure out how I want to configure mine, and am playing with a bunch of different ones.
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
TekniK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice panel graphics
slaughterhousesam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you want the fpd? no problem.

i spent a while playing with the layout. quite a bit of time actually Smile

for reference the small knobs are 16mm, the large 27mm, and the knobs behind the panel are tt tech p260p's

this range

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Resistors-Potentiometer/Control-Potentiometers/0.5W-12.7mm-Rotary-potentiometers/82067

very nice, but very "light touch", low resistance to movement, i like it but its definitely a contrast to the stiffer doepfer/analog systems standard.

Living VCO V1.fpd
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Living VCO V1.fpd
 Filesize:  1.77 KB
 Downloaded:  2183 Time(s)

slaughterhousesam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

about the living vco layout....

there is a contrast between the top-down a-b-c of the fm/det/pw/pwd controls, and the big freq knobs, which i laid out in newspaper style

----A----
-B----C--

and the tracking and sq/saw switches bisect those knobs (follow the colour switch caps).

id always intended to have 2 side by side, so made sure the knob spacings flowed nicely across panels.

seems some kind of logical to me, but mileage may differ Smile
Luka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what is all the cake of veroboard doing?
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
slaughterhousesam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cake?

Smile

first two layers are power filtering (beads/caps), then its the switch to send in a standard voltage to the...erm...forgotten the damn word...the normalised/unplugged inputs of the jacks, and lastly a switch to switch in dc blocking caps. as per jurgen's suggested method on the project page.
tomcat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

slaughterhousesam wrote:
behind the panel are tt tech p260p's

this range

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Resistors-Potentiometer/Control-Potentiometers/0.5W-12.7mm-Rotary-potentiometers/82067

very nice, but very "light touch", low resistance to movement, i like it but its definitely a contrast to the stiffer doepfer/analog systems standard.

Comparable to the Spectrol/Vishay?
slaughterhousesam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i had to get a vishay as i couldnt find the tt's in 1M, and they are noticeably lighter than the vishay. i like it but ymmv.
defex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is another LVCO
Tested and working. just have to add the mixer and LED driver board (and sync, if it works!)

you can see where i replaced the pulse/saw switches with pots, it screwed up the look a bit, but it is worth it to have variable pulse/saw mix per osc.

note the home made concentric pot Smile

It sounds great!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
jumunius

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

defex wrote:
Here is another LVCO

Lovely build. Can you explain how you connect your pots? It looks like your pots are mounted directly onto 3-wire female headers. Is that so?

I'm eventually buying a lot of Bi/TT pots which have pins spaced at 2.5mm apart -- does that fit right to a MTA-156 connector?
defex

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jumunius wrote:
defex wrote:
Here is another LVCO

Lovely build. Can you explain how you connect your pots? It looks like your pots are mounted directly onto 3-wire female headers. Is that so?

I'm eventually buying a lot of Bi/TT pots which have pins spaced at 2.5mm apart -- does that fit right to a MTA-156 connector?

That type of pot has the same spacing as a 0.1inch (2.5 mm!) connector with a long wire on it, after i connect the IDC connector and make sure it is working properly it will get a bit of hot glue to hold it in place

I bend the pot wires a little bit after i put the IDC connector to make it point up.. press a connector down as far as it will go then bend back .

If i build another one i will make a circuit board for the pots, it would save a lot of time.
2thick4uni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

defex wrote:
Here is another LVCO

Great build, I do like the home made concentric pot!

Do please keep us posted on your progress at adding a sync input, I'd love to fit this to my JH LVCO............
Page 7 of 9 [215 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: