electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
To mix or not to mix?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
neandrewthal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: To mix or not to mix?
Subject description: that is the question
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been hearing a lot lately about how mixers are along with VCAs are unsung heroes and key to a modular system's power. Just wondering if that would be true in my particular application.

I have built a 48U synth cabinet. I am currently finishing the building of the first 24U row of modules and I am in the planning stage of the next row. Presently the module list looks like this:

1x Midi - CV converter
4 x 4 powered buffers
2 x 4 multiples
2x VCO
2x VCLFO
1x State Variable Filter
1x Lowpass filter
1x Psycho LFO
1x Noise Source
2x Sample & Hold
2x ADSR
4x VCA
4x Inverters

Now, I'm aware of the limitation of not having an output mixer for the VCAs(I plan on overcoming this by using an external mixer) but considering that the Voltage controlled modules feature dedicated CV mixers and the filters have audio input mixers, are there any weird and wonderful possibilities I'm missing out on by not having any dedicated mixers? What are your favorite uses for mixers?

REwire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only thing you can't do externally is VC panning. Other than that, VCA's can handle level control and the external mixer could handle manual or automation of pan and level.
neandrewthal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, cool. I was hoping to add a VC panner eventually.

So, is it safe to assume that internal mixers are only ultra-important in systems where the modules don't already have multiple CV and audio inputs?

REwire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If all your VCA's and filters have multiple inputs and you don't have too many oscillators and filters then maybe you can live without mixers.

I have 8 Oscs and need 2 mixers to mix some into different filters. Also have 5 filters so I have 2 mixers to mix any of those togther into one of the VCA's. Then all four VCA's go into a 4 channel mixer, where I can CV pan them around. Even get a second level of VCA Level control too.

spinach_pizza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't forget, in addition to audio signals, mixers can be used to combine CVs also.
Kwote

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for me i lack inputs but have plenty of outputs. my filter has lp, bp, hp and notch outputs, my vco has tri, ramp, sine, pulse and vc wave outs and my lfo's have ramp, inverted ramp, square, sine and tri outs.

that's a lot of outs but my filter, phaser, ringmod all only have one input. a mixer would be the easiest way to solve that. i got a 3p on the way which is 3 in, 1 out all with attenuation. Helpful.

i like the thought of having vca's with the mixing aspect. ie: mulitple ins with attenuation and cv control to boot. but sometimes you don't want to send cv to every single channel. it's just smoother to combine all the channels you want in the mixer than send it to one input on the vca for cv purposes.

depends on the application. it's a flexibility issue. mixers equal more flexibility.

Check out a preview:
http://www.kwotemusic.com/JourneyToSomewherePreview.mp3
neandrewthal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I can survive without one for now, but when I build my next row I'm getting 3 DC mixer boards from Ken Stone. They are only $3 each and I can set them up however I want.
numbernone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have lots of mixers and not enough VCAs and need MORE.

You CANNOT have enough of either IMO. Mixing voltages is essential to me, a bunch of wildly variable sources delicately mixed and altered subtly yields GREAT results.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: