electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Chuck Guitar Riff Lab Software Interface
Page 2 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made a tutorial for Guitar Lab, it is here:

http://www.freedomodds.com/music/songs/Guitar_Lab_Tutorial.mp3

It's an 8 minute audio recording, so sit back and have a listen if you want to get started with Guitar Lab.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a progress update: I added kijjaz's Modedular class to make scales and this involved adding nine scale selector buttons which I put on a third panel. Also fixed the business where we were doing logic array calculations on unused instruments, and added a fast forward button. FFwd plays at 16x and I left the sound on so you can hear your music in FFwd.

Just set the flute to play every other note by putting a 1 in the upper right corner, then hit play and press FFwd. Makes an alien ray gun sound effect. The drum, on some settings, sounds like a Galaga arcade game shooting sound effect. There's lots of strange things to discover once a user interface is in place.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a fun little song just under two minutes long that really brings out the gamer in me.

http://www.freedomodds.com/music/songs/Guitar_Lab_Gamer.mp3

The starship shooting sound effect is from kijjaz's drum class.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just thought I'd post the latest Guitar Lab source code, it has several new minor features, most notably that instruments unChucK when not in use, so they don't burden the CPU! On my 1.25 GHz 3-year-old eMac it had CPU usage issues when recording, but no longer. I feel it's good to work on a somewhat slower machine to keep me from developing bloatware, lol!

Ideas? Opinions? Requests? I'm all ears.

Guitar_Lab18.ck
 Description:
Latest revision, various fixes, Dyno on Mandolin output, credits button, instruments now unChucK when not in use (CPU-whew!).

Download
 Filename:  Guitar_Lab18.ck
 Filesize:  63.98 KB
 Downloaded:  455 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is another song, only 2 minutes long, that I just made with Guitar Lab.

http://www.freedomodds.com/music/songs/Guitar_Lab9.mp3
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is another progress update on Guitar Lab. I added a delay-based snare instrument from kijjaz, and also a microphone with reverb (look under the wind instruments panel for the microphone - logical place to put it, eh?). The big change though is I added a better note frequency algebra system.

The old system worked well and is still intact if you want to use it, but it tended to produce a droning, repetitive song overall. The Boolean sequencing technique of dividing the song up into segments helped, but still there was a characteristic sound to all of the songs. It is a good sound, but being stuck to that family of sounds would be limiting to the composer.

So now there is a new feature: term-based note specification. There is a number adjusted with a +/- scroller on each logic term. If that term lights up, that midi note is played. This allows much more varied frequency specification, as you can hear in the attached example song.

Also attached is the latest source code. Feedback is welcome.

Guitar_Lab21.ck
 Description:
Latest Guitar Lab, has new instruments including microphone plus improved note frequency algebra.

Download
 Filename:  Guitar_Lab21.ck
 Filesize:  75.6 KB
 Downloaded:  445 Time(s)

Guitar_Lab10.mp3
 Description:
A guitar riff taking advantage of the new note frequency algebra to create a good riff. Repeats once. One minute long.

Download
 Filename:  Guitar_Lab10.mp3
 Filesize:  873.47 KB
 Downloaded:  1268 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I'm not getting a lot of feedback, but I am getting visits. So far 68 people have visited the Guitar Lab web page, from 12 different countries. So Guitar Lab is now being used internationally - wow, it's rather exciting!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've made two more songs in Guitar Lab, one is relaxation and the other is rock. Here they are:

http://www.freedomodds.com/music/songs/Guitar_Lab_Anxiety4.mp3
http://www.freedomodds.com/music/songs/Guitar_Lab_Rock1.mp3

The relaxation song is made of thunder, rain 1, rain 2, and mandolin. The mandolin plays random notes that tend to shut down your mind. Also, a use of random is in the opener to the rock song. It starts out with lead guitar strumming out a random rhythm that sounds like an intense and chaotic riff. The rest of the rock song is OK too, I guess. Certainly not the best quality, but it does have its merits, enjoy!
NeKro_Phyl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like your program. Thanks! The only Problem I have is that my lappy exhausts too fast, so that I hear lotsa glicks....
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NeKro_Phyl wrote:
I like your program. Thanks! The only Problem I have is that my lappy exhausts too fast, so that I hear lotsa glicks....

Yes, I have put so many buttons and sliders in Guitar Lab that all the shreds have added up to over 200. So what I did is this: I turned the number of logic matrix pages down from 4 to 2. Now the computer has to do fewer things each time a note is evaluated. I also got all the instruments unChucKed when not in use, which helps a lot. The latest code is posted as an attachment below.

A good thing to know is that even though you hear those clicks, you won't hear them in your recordings. Apparently ChucKists have taken "strongly timed" seriously and the samples all end up recorded properly despite clicks while listening. Note that the thunder slows the CPU down a lot.

Thanks so much for your reply, it's nice to know that folks are using Guitar Lab!

Guitar_Lab26.ck
 Description:
The latest Guitar Lab, which has several new features including thunder, rain, wahwah, reverb, mic, and random bits plus a new pitch system. Enjoy!

Download
 Filename:  Guitar_Lab26.ck
 Filesize:  87.91 KB
 Downloaded:  461 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks to some help from Frostburn, I have now united Guitar Lab and Synth Lab into somewhat of a unified whole. Though you can still run them separately, they now work together. Audio is routed by the file Communication.ck from Guitar Lab to Synth Lab for effects processing or whatever else you want to do with it.

Since they are now unified, I am creating a common electro-music.com thread for both of them. I will report progress on either program and post source code of all three programs to the new thread titled "Guitar Lab and Synth Lab", which will obviously be in the ChucK forum. So look for future information in the new thread.

Thanks for your interest in my free music software and please accept my apologies if this causes any inconvenience.
Page 2 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: