electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
YUSYNTH EMS-diode ladder filter
Page 6 of 6 [137 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Sebo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Yves:
I was aware of the input level and I did the test with the input at mark 4,
also I measured with my PC oscilloscope the point at the input starts to
overdrive, and it was at mark 4 indeed.
Now I tryed lowering the input level and the unestability goes away with
the input below mark 2. The output level is low, but the filter sounds great.
The self oscillation still dissapearing at 9KHz.
Thanks a lot for your help.

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Another diode ladder filter! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

arnoid wrote:
I also had problems to get self-oscillations of the resonance on this module I tryed different JFET without result.
Changing 680K in 150K did the trick for me.

I love the sound of this filter thx for the design yves.

I just finished this filter and it works great. When tweaking the resonance control circuit, I actually set up a socket and tried 10 different 2N3819 FETS and they all pretty much worked the same.

The breakthrough was to apply positive voltage to the Resonance Mod input -- indeed, +3 volts was sufficient to make the filter self-oscillate.

The solution was to find a lower value for R41. I hooked up a variable resistor and discovered that a value of 119K worked well. Since the closest resistor in my stock was 121K, I used it and the filter self-oscillates nicely starting around '9'.

I also added two additional audio input -- I had room on my panel and figured, "Why not?" -- and it works fine.

Yet another great design from Yves!

negativspace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting that you settled on the value you did, Kevin. I build one of these a couple of weeks ago, and I ended up using a 120k resistor in that spot to achieve the same resonance behavior you describe.
bc547c

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject:  yusynth diode ladder filter problem
Subject description: cutoff "hole" in cutoff pot
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello, sorry for reposting this old post;
i have already built one of these filter, after classic 220K mod for resonance but I have a big problem:
- when I turn the cutoff pot to the max range I listen a "hole" in filtering; this hole become present about to the end of the range of the pot.
What's the problem? Bad matched diode? I don't use a polyester cap but red cap type with tolerance of 4%...
I use a CA3096, Harris CA3046 and TL074, the cutoff pot is good (Alpha 10K lin).
I try different pot ma the problem still remain.

I post a demo of the problem:
Than you

Untitled2.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Untitled2.mp3
 Filesize:  421.43 KB
 Downloaded:  792 Time(s)

Snaper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yusynth wrote:
Hi Chaorta and welcome

Concerning the PCB I can't tell you because I have no Doepfer case to check it. But may be if give the size of the PCB you can make yourself an idea. The PCB is 10 cm per 7.5 cm and has four fixation holes.

Concerning the power supply, yes it will run at +12V/-12V, for this you just need to remove some components : remove R3 (82ohm) and bypass its pads with a wire, remove U2 (78L12/7812) bypass with an insulated wire the left and rigth pads (leave the middle pad unconnected) and that's it (see the diagram below : left before mod, right : after mod, bypass wires shown in red)

I've checked the component layout for the discrete version, and the mentioned resistor is 22R.
Am I rigth?
With removing the 79L12 and the 22R res. its OK for +-12V?
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello @all and first of all a happy new year everyone.

after finishing my stripboard Version of the steiner parker filter succesfully i thought to give another try to the Diode ladder filter. i've tried to build it before in another Version that was flying around in the WWW which was designed by Marian Urekar but failed... and then lost touch with it going deeper into it...

well know i've build it on stripboard with +12V and -9V supply the discrete Version with one ca3046 and it wouldn't work...
the Sound i'am getting is very thin and quiet and even vc wouldn't work really...

by the time i've stumbled across some scanned pages of the original schematics (supposedly scanned by Ives himself as the water stamp suggests) there i saw some different values written onto it...
are These reference voltages that must be measured at this specific Points? and if this is the case with Signal applied to the filter or any CV (OV) or pot turned in that or this direction?
For example at the emitter of the Transistor Q24 in the original which is pin 10 and 13 of the ca3046 stands -0.5 which i think means -0,5 Volts...
i measure there -2,99 up to -3,14 Volts depending on the frequency pot turn...
There are also slightly or totally different voltages present at some of the other Points which are indexed with an value...

here's what i measured at the Points of the ca3046 with an +/-5V Triangle Signal...
pin1 Input Signal going from +0,8 to +2,8 V (centered around ca. 1,7 Volt)
2 Input Signal going from +1,2 to +3,2 V
3&14 0V
4 +8,3V (very slight Signal Content just about some mV with negative Peak only)
5 +8V
6 +2V
7 +3,3 to +3,4 V
8 +12V
9 -2,1 to -2,4 depending on freq pot and A2 trimmer
10&13 -3V

Nothing gets hot or is smoking away...
checked all traces and resoldered suspect looking solderpoints all resistors seem to be correct and also all trannies where inserted the right direction...
flat side in front of you and the from left c,b,e

anyone with an idea what i have possibly made wrong? just to mention i swapped the CA3046 already... but only have those 2 left at the Moment...

Edith says: i can test the CA3046 with my Rene Schmitz/Ken Stone VCA where i used them instead of normal trannies... will check that soon...

P.P.S. Ca3046 seem to be well intact... my VCA works properly with them...

wackelpeter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Today i've managed to "rebuilt" the filter w/o Resonance using Circuit Simulator V1.6d (won't provide a download link as i can't remember where i got this from and wouldn't guide you to a unsafe download site)
the Programm requires Java btw.

anyway the circuit is here and in theory it works... most of the values drawn into the scanned schematics seem to be the same with just a few slight differences...

so maybe someone can guide me now a bit and by checking and comparing theoretical values with the ones in my build i can fix the error...

first i see the Output at pin5 of my ca3046 the collector of the differential pair should be negative (or for simplicity the same as on pin 1 but with negative Peak)
Is this correct?

Edit:
just disconnected C13 and C14 to see what is going in the circuit and to have the same reference in my Demonstration...

unfortunately i found out that my postitive power rail goes down to 10V... a few days where i checked everything there where 11,79V... hmm maybe the module itself or the Regulator is causing htis or i have meanwhile added to much load on my psu or accidentally created a short when stuffing modules in and out... sssshhhh... have to chek and correct that first...

emsvcf1.txt
 Description:
file with ems vcf schematic... can be imported into circuit simulator

Download
 Filename:  emsvcf1.txt
 Filesize:  6.53 KB
 Downloaded:  635 Time(s)

wackelpeter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

okay did some Progress in my check...

following my Simulation there wasn't enough voltage at pin 13 and 10 of the CA3046 ... swapped the on leg of the trimmer A2 from GND to +12V and voila i can hear my filter... well it sounds rude at the Moment but i think that is whilst feeding +/-5V Signal in the tl074 ... will have to add the attentuator and Change maybe some resistors for Level compression... but is cutting off manually and by cv...

regarding that leg of the trimmer A2 going to GND in the schematics... i think when i look at the scanned original schematics it's also between +12V and -9V... correct? can see the lines but not really if theres a junction respectively a Point on the ground trace or if it's simply crossing it... there the scan lacks a bit of contrast...

first of all i'm happy to get some small step Forward.... resonance is also working partially... not self oscillating now but i've seen some pages ago where to look for that...

but for today i need a break and rest a while... Very Happy

wackelpeter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

edit: solved
Snaper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys,

Finished this beauty last year, because of problems, did the resonance resistor mod, mentioned here earlier, now resonance is OK, but the filter is still odd.

If I remember correctly, left the completed module in my "unfinished" box, but now, I have a panel for it, so I have solve the other mystery, a problem with the Frequency pot itself.

Actually, it works weirdly :S

Measure it, I have -9 and +12 on it, the output of it is good, but still behave badly.
Sounds like the whole frequency control section messed up, because if I use CV to control the freq. the problem is the same.

I can't explain it, haven't experienced anything like this before.
I've recorded a short sample, where you can see, what I'm talking about :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lg3y72wwtli9nw2/Recorded%20Sample%2001.wav?dl=0

This is a simple saw wave, into the filter, modulated with a short adsr from an FCUK system X ADSER.

As you can hear, the filter simply can't react to the CV. There are weird noises and stuff like this.
Like some kind of switching sound?

Actually, If I turn on the resonance pot a bit, it solve the problem, but if I adjust the Freq, it will ruin everything again.

I'm sure this is not a unique feature of this, I think I've ruined something, but have no idea what...

Its the tranny version...
LFLab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did my own layout for this filter, the discrete version, and also added a VCA on the board (also from Yves' site, but the simplified version as can be found on the Kassutronics site).
It worked right away but does not oscillate (yet). Also, applying control voltage doesn't seem to do anything.
Will tweak the trimpot for range first, but short of trying out different FETs, what are the parameters for a FET that works well in this circuit? Idss range and such? In FET based phasers, where the JFET is used as a resistance, you need to match them to make sure they are all the same, but since there is only a single one in this circuit.. Can one adjust bias to suit this to a certain fet or perhaps select a FET with a certain Idss/ Vgs(off)?

Will try a different value for R41 as well.
dummyplugconspiracy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: EMS filter
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi -

First time on this forum. I was sent over by Paul at soundtronics UK. I built the YuSynth EMS filter and had a similar problem to a user a few years back. Not sure whether this is even still monitored, but I need help if anyone is still out there! My resonance control has no effect unless controlled by CV. It seems to work roughly correctly when I apply CV test voltage and I can achieve self-oscillation. I already did the R41 resistor mod to change to 220K. That confirmed that self oscillation was possible, but didn't fix the resonance knob issue. Paul at soundtronics has recommended swapping out Q12 and I am tempted to flip the 3046 chip to see if I got a reverse version - is that generally safe to try? Or will it damage it if it was correct all along? What else can I try here? Should I start shopping for other 3046 chips and 3819 transistors until I find ones that work? HELP!
Page 6 of 6 [137 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: