electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
ThruZeroVCOPCBproject
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 3 [61 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
funkyfarm

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

philpeery wrote:
Really jazzed that this thread has not died!

(this is a constant effort Smile )
johans121

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Same here Wink
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

philpeery wrote:
I'd bet my bagpipes that it would be a great service to many if you were able to include pads for both!

I second the request for pad layouts that can accommodate both- and someone such as myself who would simply drop in a pair of semi-matched 2N390X types.

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

done, also, the pinout of the 2220 matches the 3906 xistr [EBC] if you wanna use those. over halfway there.... Cool
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi,

just wanted to bump this topic back up, re focused on this and did a bit of work onit over the past couple days, it's not dead! i am going to start a new thread [probably delete this one] with a poll to click and sound examples to guage interest- i may be into offering a parts kit and as well as the PCB if it is feasible.

for this project, i will definitely want a couple of proof-builders/ proof-readers to help minimize the margin for errors, as this is kind of a bigger/ more expensive project.

the incentive? free boards and parts! i will order like 4-5 prototype boards and enough parts to make them. the catch? build your prototype and put it through it's paces in a reasonable amount of time, like 2-3 weeks so we can get the PCB run going as quickly as possible afterward.

what you would have ideally: other synthesis equipment, PSU etc. oscilloscope and multimeter. oh, and ears.. that's it!

so, get in touch with me if you think you are up to the task. i am looking at ordering test PCBs [with quick turnaround] by the end of october.

OK! thanks for reading, and thanks for the patience.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:
[probably delete this one]

Well, when all is right you can't, and I don't think it to be a good idea to delete it either, but this thread could be locked (with maybe a reference to the new one in the first and last message here) instead.

Sound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:
hi,

for this project, i will definitely want a couple of proof-builders/ proof-readers to help minimize the margin for errors, as this is kind of a bigger/ more expensive project.

Yes, I would like to do it. Not very much experience, but yes oscillocope Owon PDS 5022, multimeter, ears and a lot of interest to learn. Also I will have time in november.

O
Luka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am up for testing if it is mid november onwards, im flat out for the next month but free after that. if you don't mind sending it down to australia that is
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for all the interest in proof-building, i will get back to some of you soon..

Quote:
Well, when all is right you can't, and I don't think it to be a good idea to delete it either,

as for deleting this thread- yeah making this one point to the new one would be better. just didnt want it confused. Laughing

thx,

josh
oolfur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ricko wrote:
Concerning through-zero oscillators and FM.

As EN129 says, mathematically true FM requires that 1) full wave rectification of the linear input, and 2) sign-change detection and reversal of the generated wave.

However, dare I say that while you need 1), you don't actually need 2) if all you want is the audio effect of FMing with an AC-coupled modulator. What 2) allows is particular modeling of the mathematics and harmonics of an FMed wave (.e.g to allow the re-synthesis of a tone by constructing appropriate FM parameters), but it does not necessarily mean nicer sounds for the module.

So you could make a poor-man's non-sign-changing through-zero oscillator, and get a different kind of FM. An active fullwave recitifier (see Hill and Horowitz 4.18 or http://books.google.com.au/books?id=bkOMDgwFA28C&pg=PA222&lpg=PA222&dq=%22active+full+wave+rectifier%22&source=web&ots=F29nVF65Ur&sig=e9q8nP_tbiwvGi625xnDoMKD0jI&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result) is all that is needed on many VCO designs with linear inputs, as far as I can make out. A lot of the complexity comes from the sign reversal, but it might just be gilding the lily.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

Edit: Fixed the link - Scott S.

very interested in reviving this thread after reading this comment - this was my thought exactly!!

can someone please explain the timbral importance of sign reversal as the CV moves through point zero? humans are incapable of hearing the phase reversal, right?
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oolfur wrote:
... humans are incapable of hearing the phase reversal, right?

this is valid for a constant,static phase reversal eg. reverse playing of a 1kHz sine wave.
But imagine the waveform of a 1kHz sine which is phase reversed with a 3kHz clock ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 3 [61 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: