electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
the Future in Modular:what do you expect, what do you wish ?
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: the Future in Modular:what do you expect, what do you wish ?
Subject description: will digital rule some modultypes ?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

just thought i open a thread about the Future and what is to expect or what one would wish.
I kept it open for any kind of module.
please post your thoughts and wishes and expetations

My ones are:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
VCOs:

I expect that there will be digital Multioperator FM VCOs.
The Modcan VCDO might be just one Step in that direction and what we can expect ( i never heard the VDCO in real )

What i wish:
digital Multioperator FM VCOs with Thru Zero !
I don't know if thru Zero is needed in digital or if it is possible to implement it,
but thats what i whish to have, and thats what i think it will come,
and thats what i think everybody will going crazy about Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LFOs:

I wish to have LFOs with sync to midiclock and analog clocksync maybe too.
and i whis them to as quad modules in digital,
and with CV on clockdivider ratios for each unit.
Maybe switching between waveforms with another CV input

Envelops:
hmmmm, maybe the modcan is it allready.
-----> Decay should have S-mode ! Attack maybe too

Can you imagine how funny it must be to have multioperator FM, but all with patchpoints ?
We all will turn our Modularsynth into a DX7 Laughing .................................Wink

woot, woot :
i'd like to have a DX77-modular
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Obviously what we are missing right now are more hybrid modules that are partly based on embedded processing. I believed this would happen 10 years ago. I was wrong. Digital-analog hybrid modules with onboard DSPs will eventually be the next big thing. I can easily come up with module ideas, but we will need DSPs no matter what.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
neandrewthal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Obviously what we are missing right now are more hybrid modules that are partly based on embedded processing.

I'll make some. Umm........check back with me in 7 years.

Kwote

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my needs are much simpler. i'm happy with what's currently available and what's known to be on the horizon for the year.

i plan on spending more time developing my creativity than worrying about the future.

Check out a preview:
http://www.kwotemusic.com/JourneyToSomewherePreview.mp3
Funky40

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Digital-analog hybrid modules with onboard DSPs will eventually be the next big thing.

Yes, my thinking too.

Modcan has modules with DSPs.
http://www.modcan.com/bseries/modulesb.html
---> 57B, 58B,59B,60B

I think modcan is opening the minds for that kind of modules.
Has it been doepfer coming first with that stuff, maybe many folks would not accept it.
but modcan......................?
btw.: for me it seems that the VCDO is one of the best Value for Price VCOs available now.
cbm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Obviously what we are missing right now are more hybrid modules that are partly based on embedded processing.

The Buchla 200e series is basically like this. Every module has a processor, and various amounts of analog circuitry around it.

Some modules use the CPU for control only, some modules use the CPU for DSP.
dougcl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would rather see the digital processing stay out of analog modulars. I think we should go the other way and use tubes, mechanical devices, tin cans and string. Leave digital in separate systems on the other side of D/A converters.
Doug
Kwote

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dougcl wrote:
I would rather see the digital processing stay out of analog modulars. I think we should go the other way and use tubes, mechanical devices, tin cans and string. Leave digital in separate systems on the other side of D/A converters.
Doug

i think digital has it's place in the realm of control. not so much beyond that. and i think dsp's, menus, lack of knobs is exactly why i avoid non modular gear.

so it's kinda weird seeing this digital modular revolution. however i think it's okay for it to exist.

i just don't plan on being a part of all that for the most part. like i said there is a place in it for my applications. but not a big place.

i have a ton of analog experiments to do. i've found that most basic components of analog modulars have endless potential and with enough time and creativity a ton can be accomplished.

i think i'm wrapping my head around everyone's lust for this new development though. in a field where people just can't stop building and acquiring more gear, it makes sense that people would come up with anything and everything they can to keep expanding.

i personally thrive on limitation. or what i'd prefer to call so-called limitation.

right on Doug.

Check out a preview:
cbm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, in the case of the Buchla most of the use of digital electronics is in the control world, but there is a little use in the DSP arena, as well.

For example the 261e oscillator generates sine waves digitally, but does all the waveshaping with digitally controlled analog circuitry.

For me, modular synthesis is about how you interact with a system: patching and knobs. How things are implemented under the surface is less interesting. To the extent that the Buchla 200e is all knob and patching based it's great. Where is starts to be less fun is on the (very few) modules that require more detailed programming (mostly the 291e filter, and the discontinued 249e sequencer)
Keysandslots

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only "modular" I have is a Nord G2X and I've figured out that while I'm smart-enough to work every other synthesizer I've ever tried, this modular stuff is a bit beyond me so far. I'm also realizing I'm kinda lazy, and a bit pre-occupied with too many other things. But, I really like the various incredible sounds that come out of the Nord.

So, here's what I'd like to see, and this is probably possible with something like the Nord. I want to fill out a sort of music/personality test, almost like a Myers Briggs sort of thing, where I answer specific questions about my personality, the sort of sounds I like, the kinds of music I play and listen to and other characteristics. Then, I want the computer/synthesizer to take that information and make some first cut "patches" for me, and perhaps some suggestions for further experimentation, in effect teaching me to use the synth. Depending on my personality (do I like to go off on tangents sometimes for example), maybe it could hit me with the odd surprise patch.

This is kinda broad-brush and not very thought-out but it's just a thought at the moment.

Randy
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Harmonic vco like in the oscar.
williamsharkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Equasion Solver Module:

A small monitor with a small keyboard and 3 A/D inputs and 3 D/A outputs.

You type an equasion, like: 0ut1=In1*In2

So you have just created a ringmod.

But you could create many different modules by typing in different equations.

( PS I have created a VST prototype called MusicComputer that does this. It's still in testing/patching stage.)

Last edited by williamsharkey on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
williamsharkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My response is off topic, sorry:
Keysandslots wrote:
Then, I want the computer/synthesizer to take that information and make some first cut "patches" for mey

If you took a synthesizer with a "randomize patch" function, and rated your reactions to 100's of randomized patches, you could then use a data-mining technique to find relationships between patch parameters and reaction.

You would answer questions like: rate the "beauty" of this sound on a scale 1 to 10. or rate the "purple-ness" or rate the "musicality" or the "shimmer".

If the data-mining is successful, then you could use the process in reverse. You tell the program how "beautiful", "purple", "musical" and "shimmiring" your sound should by sliding a slider or what not. Then it generates the patch parameters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_mining

(Would have done this myself but I haven't found any data mining software that I could learn yet)
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mattson started offering a mini-modular.

Serge started offering a mini-modular (Creature).

Maybe mini-modulars are the next wave of modular analog products...

Some old stuff on VIRB
jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keysandslots wrote:
The only "modular" I have is a Nord G2X and I've figured out that while I'm smart-enough to work every other synthesizer I've ever tried, this modular stuff is a bit beyond me so far. I'm also realizing I'm kinda lazy, and a bit pre-occupied with too many other things. But, I really like the various incredible sounds that come out of the Nord.

So, here's what I'd like to see, and this is probably possible with something like the Nord. I want to fill out a sort of music/personality test, almost like a Myers Briggs sort of thing, where I answer specific questions about my personality, the sort of sounds I like, the kinds of music I play and listen to and other characteristics. Then, I want the computer/synthesizer to take that information and make some first cut "patches" for me, and perhaps some suggestions for further experimentation, in effect teaching me to use the synth. Depending on my personality (do I like to go off on tangents sometimes for example), maybe it could hit me with the odd surprise patch.

This is kinda broad-brush and not very thought-out but it's just a thought at the moment.

Randy

You could also take the G2 patch archive, along with the 20k patches for the nm1 (converted to your g2), and start messing with the Patch Mutator in the editor. That's a few weekends at least (or, it was for me Smile
Funky40

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:
For me, modular synthesis is about how you interact with a system: patching and knobs.

Thats exactly how i see it too.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
cbm wrote:
For me, modular synthesis is about how you interact with a system: patching and knobs.

Thats exactly how i see it too.

Give me that paper and I´ll sign it too.

We call them analogue modular synths because the interesting hybrid modules haven´t really showed up yet. I´m sure they will and there will be plenty too. It might take another 10 years though. Sad

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cbm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
We call them analogue modular synths because the interesting hybrid modules haven´t really showed up yet. I´m sure they will and there will be plenty too. It might take another 10 years though. Sad

I think that the future is here already, just not evenly distrubuted. Examples:
Most of the Buchla 200e
A handful of Modcan modules (VDCO, CV Recorder, Quad Env, etc.)
A handful of Plan-B modules (tap clock, more to come)
All of the Harvestman modules
A handful of Doepfer modules
Analog Systems Harmonic Generator
Encore UEG
And I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting

I think the days of modular synthesizer == analog synthesizer are over.
The days of modular synthesizer being fun to use are still here, thankfully.

-C

Kwote

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:

agreed. i hate programming and stepping through screens.

Check out a preview:
Kwote

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:

disagree. i think they're still in their hayday. i'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

Check out a preview:
cbm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kwote wrote:
cbm wrote:

disagree. i think they're still in their hayday. i'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

Oh, I agree that this is still an era of analogy goodness, I was just saying that modular doesn't automatically mean analog anymore. To keep with the equation theme: modular synthesizer >= analog synthesizer. Better?
Funky40

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I call it Hardware modular vs. software Modular, not digital vs. analog.

Clavia NM1 and G2 belongs then to the Software modular (for me).
Yeah, the analog world was never more interesting then now, i think.
cbm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
I call it Hardware modular vs. software Modular, not digital vs. analog.

The modules I mentioned a few posts back are physical modules that will fit into existing modular systems.

I don't think that they fit too well into your categories. They are digital modules, in a hardware modular.

-C

Kwote

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:
Kwote wrote:
cbm wrote:

Oh, I agree that this is still an era of analogy goodness, I was just saying that modular doesn't automatically mean analog anymore. To keep with the equation theme: modular synthesizer >= analog synthesizer. Better?

makes sense. thought this discussion pertained to hardware analog/digital only.

but i'll definately not hesitate in saying i don't have a single bit of interest in software synthesis, effects, etc.

even with recording, if i could afford it, i'd go to tape. but for now i'm living with CEP 2 basic tracking purposes only.

Check out a preview:
jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kwote wrote:
...but for now i'm living with CEP 2 basic tracking purposes only.

That'sstill the best thing out there! "living" is the high life!
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: