electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Building a Modular Synth in ChucK
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NeKro_Phyl wrote:
I dont hear anything... ehem, am i too dumb to know how to use the program?

More likely I made the program too difficult to use at first try. Maybe I can help this way: The attached file is my very latest copy of Synth Lab with sinosc[0] connected to the DAC so that it starts up making a 500 Hz tone. Perhaps this will help you get familiar with the admittedly confusing jumbled mass of buttons and sliders.

I wouldn't feel stupid or anything, because it's a very complicated program to use at first try. I do feel, however, that the learning curve is not too steep and very soon you will be making cool sounds with it. Please let me know if you have any more problems and I will help the best I can.

Synth_Lab17.ck
 Description:
Latest release of Synth Lab, starts up making a 500 Hz tone to help you get familiar with it.

Download
 Filename:  Synth_Lab17.ck
 Filesize:  65.62 KB
 Downloaded:  418 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've made some good progress on Synth Lab, so it's time to post the source code yet again. Here is a photo of the current user interface:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

The latest new features include:

System Clock - for shreds that run continuously such as the logic gates, etc.

Keyboard - press any key and you get different frequency sinusoids on the output node.

Envelope - for soft on/off transitions

Logic Gates - these accept inputs defined by input <= 0 means logic 0 and input > 0 means logic 1. you can specify the number of inputs at the top of the source code. Includes AND, OR, XOR, NAND, NOR, and XNOR gates. Make an inverter by tying a NAND gate's inputs all to the same node. The logic gates combined with the counters enable you to do Boolean sequencing.

Dynos - Limiter, Compressor, Expander, or Noise Gate, button selectable.

I also cleaned up the Gain features a bit and put in the computer's screen resolution which facilitates the automatic positioning of the various panels on program initialization. You have to enter your particular screen resolution at the top of the source code for this to work properly.

It's fun free software for you, so download and enjoy!

Synth_Lab21.ck
 Description:
Synth Lab, now with most of the non-instrument ugens.

Download
 Filename:  Synth_Lab21.ck
 Filesize:  80.31 KB
 Downloaded:  435 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Synth Lab now has some new features inlcuding Echos, a patch panel, keyboard organ (computer keyboard), and LiSa. The patch panel allows you to make gain = 1 connections from any node's output to any node's input. They keyboard plays Envelope softened sinusoids from the computer's keyboard. LiSa has button control for manual operation and voltage control for automated operation, so you can have your sequencer record and playback samples.

There is also some new fun stuff just to make the program more interesting. There is a bar of blue LEDs that show the logic level of all signals. I put in an introductory view panel with sliders that let you set how many (if any) of most any item you want (no more editing source code to configure Synth Lab). I added a goodbye pop-up window that appears for the three seconds that Synth Lab plays it's whoop - whoop - whoop exit sound. And just for fun I put in a fortune cookie feature on the main panel that gives you a fortune cookie message when you click on it's button.

There are also some minor bug fixes related to ChucKing / unChucKing and the logic gates no longer propagate their outputs like a system clock pipeline when configured in cascade configurations. This eliminated some unwanted buzzing artifacts. The counters are completely revised and they actually work right now. Plus the counters no longer have their own clock but instead there is a notes per second slider on the main panel that runs everything.

I think that's all the changes, thought there might be more, I've been busy. Thanks for downloading Synth Lab and giving it a try, this wouldn't be much fun without your participation.

Synth_Lab28.ck
 Description:
Synth Lab with lots of cool new features!

Download
 Filename:  Synth_Lab28.ck
 Filesize:  118.59 KB
 Downloaded:  447 Time(s)

NeKro_Phyl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoah, I'm really impressed!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for the compliment, NeKro_Phyl. I live for praise, and it's one of the things that keeps me motivated. I hope you are enjoying the program. Now here is some more news:

Thanks to some help from Frostburn, I have now united Guitar Lab and Synth Lab into somewhat of a unified whole. Though you can still run them separately, they now work together. Audio is routed by the file Communication.ck from Guitar Lab to Synth Lab for effects processing or whatever else you want to do with it.

Since they are now unified, I am creating a common electro-music.com thread for both of them. I will report progress on either program and post source code of all three programs to the new thread titled "Guitar Lab and Synth Lab", which will obviously be in the ChucK forum. So look for future information in the new thread.

Thanks for your interest in my free music software and please accept my apologies if this causes any inconvenience.
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: