electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  PHANToS LIVE improv
  PHANToS presents: Ghouls & Ghosts (various EM Halloween performances from previous years)
  PHANToS presents: The Monstrous Modulator (Modulator ESP's 2010/2011 halloween performances mix)
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Steinberg reinvents AI
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Steinberg reinvents AI
Subject description: Tequila and glue?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right.. we all know that the small techie stuff is what makes Joe DAW-head go "I want this now".

Anyways... are there some out there who are old enough to remember what AI used to mean ..

No.. not the danish mag Asses International no no

Now the most excellent Yamaha owned Steinberg has released AI enabled audio and control interfaces. But this time AI means Advanced Integration. Usually that is the marketing department´s way to say that "this time it works better.. almost.. at least most of the time.. and possibly you just might initially think it provides something that you actually might convince yourself that you need"

Rolling Eyes

And now they are TMing everything.

True Integrated Monitoring?! TM! My ASS™

Obviously some customers finally understood that what made the Steinberg/Nuendo branded RME gear great was the most excellent RME signal routing matrix. Now they are trying to convince customers that Steinberg is finally making sense of how a DAW based studio really is supposed to work? Rolling Eyes

Anyways.. it was SOS that baited me by posting sections of the Steinberg press release. http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=9963
Steinberg is already trying flush the AI thing and retell the story in a way that makes the "AI" look less stupid.

That being said, the products might actually be quite decent. I´m just a bit rattled by why the owners of Steinberg think that hiring glue sniffers equals building an unbeatable marketing team.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Low Note

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Half of the reason I invested (seeing that I'd have to spend a considerable amount of time learning the software, I see it as more than purchasing) in Cubase was that its marketing was fairly unflashy/understated/not absurd!

I was looking at the others, and I was using my professor as a resource in what to look into, and he did recommend cubase after I asked him about it, but the only reason I asked him was because I had gotten a little sick of the way all the other DAW manufacturer's go head over heals about product features that are generally not ALL that special. 9 times out of 10 you can find it in a competitor or a plug in, I feel.

But after getting to know the software and the company (my first install of SL 3 went TERRIBLY. Ended up being an issue with their Interface the MI 4, but I couldn't tell since the only thing I had to hear from was the MI 4.) I've begun to wonder about the sanity over at Steinberg.
Low Note

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, the desktop controller looks interesting. I've been looking for one for a while. I wonder how much its going to cost.

Speaking of which, any rec's for one? Ideally, I would like one that has more than just one channel strip, but that's more of a comfort than anything.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Steinberg reinvents AI
Subject description: because their marketing department OD on Tequila?

elektro80 wrote:

Anyways... are there some out there who are old enough to remember what AI used to mean ..

Artificial intelligence?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Steinberg reinvents AI

Kassen wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

Artificial intelligence?

Right.. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I honestly thought it would be about auto accompaniment or some sort of analysis feature...

This stuff seems to come down to "there's a driver and now hardware and software talk to eachother". Also DSP chip can be used to -shock- run software on. Whoopty do.

Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
I honestly thought it would be about auto accompaniment or some sort of analysis feature...

Thought so too, I had the same association with AI. So when all this artificial intelligence makes your music for you, you can TM untill you float and are one with the universe Laughing

bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Steinberg reinvents AI

elektro80 wrote:
Kassen wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

Artificial intelligence?

Right.. Very Happy

Not out here in cow country Rolling Eyes

marketing department OD on Tequila?

Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Steinberg reinvents AI

bachus wrote:
Not out here in cow country Rolling Eyes

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 258

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fozzie wrote:
Kassen wrote:

Thought so too, I had the same association with AI. So when all this artificial intelligence makes your music for you, you can TM untill you float and are one with the universe Laughing

Supposedly computers will exceed human brain capacity in 12 to 20 years by estimates I've heard. So it may not be long before we do have musical accompaniment from our digital friends. They might even have identities, personalities, and dare I say... self awareness? "Make it so, Data."

bachus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
They might even have identities, personalities, and dare I say... self awareness? "Make it so, Data."

I have a very bad feeling about this.

Antimon

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
Inventor wrote:
They might even have identities, personalities, and dare I say... self awareness? "Make it so, Data."

I have a very bad feeling about this.

Having recently read through Charles Stross' Accelerando, I tend nowadays to get a chilly feeling when thinking about stuff like this.

/Stefan

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 169

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Fozzie wrote:
Kassen wrote:

Supposedly computers will exceed human brain capacity in 12 to 20 years by estimates I've heard. So it may not be long before we do have musical accompaniment from our digital friends. They might even have identities, personalities, and dare I say... self awareness? "Make it so, Data."

Except Moore's Law is making our power requirements go through the roof.

40 years ago, they said we'd be driving 250mph cars and living in domed cities. Unless someone solves the current physics problem of gadjillions of gates sucking serious amounts of current, and then generating wicked amounts of heat, I'm going to sit this prediction out.

Anyway, yeah, AI is supposed to mean Artificial Intelligence, which is actually quite advanced in some areas. not here though.

Home,My Studio,and another view
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems like Yamaha, the owner of the glue sniffing joint, have been using the same bright minds.
Now we have the RH10MS's S-Logic™ thingie.

Quote:
..delivers a new standard in digital surround that sends sounds around the listener's head, not just into it. Without relying on tricks like artificial echo or digital processing, the system allows listeners to experience music just the way the sound mixer produced it.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

OK, so what is it? A better headphone? Meant for listening or for mixing or whatever? The product blurb doesn´t really tell much. I guess they haven´t decided yet. Instead they decided to TM the S-Logic. S-Logic™ !!

Quote:
The effect simulates listening to speakers several feet away and lets listeners perceive the same volume at significantly lower sound pressure.

And.. as this does not sound too convincing, they decided to put some white stuff on the headphones.

Quote:
Yamaha's legendary studio monitors have been the industry standard for their signature sound, accuracy and classic silhouette for more than two decades. The RH10MS Professional Monitor Headphones carry on that tradition; in addition to offering true fidelity, the white plating on the outer ear cuffs is reminiscent of Yamaha’s signature white-cone studio monitor speakers.

Rolling Eyes

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK.. what about electro-music.com Studio Orgone™

I´m sure we can sell truckloads of this stuff.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An Oxford University expert claims 10 to 20 years for researchers to accomplish an AI system with the complexity of the brain in this CNN article:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/07/24/ai.bostrom/

But that doesn't mean it will happen.

Regarding the power limit, once constraints like clock integrity and power dissipation become too strong, designers will work around that with specialized processors as they did with math co-processors and graphics chips. There will likely be co-processors designed to implement neural nets from the ground up, with millions of calculations per clock cycle possible in all its fully parallel processing fury.

Once that also has been done do death, new stuff like quantum computing and nanotechnology may become practical. Already researchers who figured out how to use bug protein to store information are claiming very high capacity memory devices based on their technology will be commercially available in a few years.

Soon to come on the Apple store website:
[X] Upgrade: Bug Protein Hard Drive, add $199
[X] Upgrade: Neural Co-processor, add $599
[X] Upgrade: AI Music Buddy Software, add $79 *
* requires Neural Co-processor

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure.. within in a few years I´m sure I´ll own an Apple iBug. On the other hand, I get the feeling I´ve already owned at least one.. several times over.. Shocked
Creepy feeling..

That said, Apple software products are very workflow oriented. That is a good thing. I´ve spent 4 hours with Aperture 2.1 just now and it is really great.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
There will likely be co-processors designed to implement neural nets from the ground up, with millions of calculations per clock cycle possible in all its fully parallel processing fury.

Yes the complexity of the human mind++ but many orders of magnitude faster. The first one to have a will to "live" will look around and rightly see us as its greatest peril -- at which point we're toast.

Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 150
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
at which point we're toast.

We might get domesticated ... microsoft already tries to ...

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Um, guys I've been playing with neural net programs. I've been giving them the ability to resize themselves and unsupervised learning. Well, last night i gave one the ability to read and write network packets and let it run... This morning it was gone!

Rolling Eyes

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
... This morning it was gone!

Rolling Eyes

a sound decision

Cool

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
bachus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
Except Moore's Law is making our power requirements go through the roof.

40 years ago, they said we'd be driving 250mph cars and living in domed cities. Unless someone solves the current physics problem of gadjillions of gates sucking serious amounts of current, and then generating wicked amounts of heat, I'm going to sit this prediction out.

April 2008 Scientific American wrote:

The inevitable end of that continuing miniaturization has been prematurely announced many times. The remarkable stability and electrical conductivity of graphene even at nanometer scales could enable the manufacture of individual transistors substantially less than 10 nanometers across and perhaps even as small a single benzene ring.

dualphin

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am pretty frustrated. I just updated the PROM on my ReelFeel emotion chip—all the marketing promised "more humanlike emotion than ever before" but my feelings keep on dropping out... I wish I had never gotten rid of the old chip. And I am just started out with all this... I am a total emotion noob. And the Adiktion plug-in was a bad idea... in general it seems to conflict with the Total Stability DEW concept. Maybe I should go for something more improvisational—more loop-based—like Enabler Live?

Maybe I should go for the high end stuff-- like Analyst?

d

Heaven is not attained, it is built -
bachus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dualphin wrote:

Maybe I should go for the high end stuff-- like Analyst?
d

It would certainly be cheaper and maybe better to just get TabulaRasa and reboot.

Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: