electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Experimental
Pitch Tracker
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Pitch Tracker Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried to post this on the list but yahoo is not allowing attachments tonight.

For Fozzie

I have had a play with the pitch tracker and the S+H is no help.
I have attached a performance that includes the zero crossing delay idea. It is actually counting whole wave cycles, not zero crossing and with the 'fake' bass input, seems to work set to 4 (gate out goes high when 4th cycle of wave arrives). A real bass may require a higher setting (pick noise etc) maybe also add a low pass filter and compressor at the input.
In the end, your simpler gate delay solution may be the better option because the consistent lag time makes playing easier.

I wonder how we can do pitch bends?

PitchTrackExp.prf2
 Description:
pitch tracker to play (via midi) patch in slot B

Download
 Filename:  PitchTrackExp.prf2
 Filesize:  9.61 KB
 Downloaded:  2102 Time(s)

Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, Ian! Thanks for thinking along with me. It seems that with two minor mods, the patch works better with my bass: I've attached the period output of the pitch tracker to the zerocounter, and indeed a little compression does make a difference.

I guess the pitch bends are not possible using the note send modules, as pitch is detected at one timepoint. Jan Punter adviced to use midi cc send modules to transmit the note value and not be restricted by a gate signal. This does seem like a good idea, but the downside would be that the controlled patch would have to be rewired again, to get rid of KBD settings and attach cords to pitch inputs.

I'll post some of my experiments soon, too. I have some ideas of mixing the attack of the real bass signal (with effects if necessary to get the right 'feel') with the decay and release parts of a synth tone. I'll post when finished. Right now, I have to get dressed quickly and go to work.
Fozzie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

.....and here it is. Works quite well with my bass & equipment. The synth tone is very basic, but that was not my main concern here. This patch was also posted on the NM list.

Pitchtrack_bass_PV1.pch2
 Description:
pitch tracker for audio in, I use it with my bass. The attack phase of the sound is made up of "audio-in", the rest of pitch-tracked synth sound.

Download
 Filename:  Pitchtrack_bass_PV1.pch2
 Filesize:  2.06 KB
 Downloaded:  1862 Time(s)

Fozzie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

.....and just for fun, some G2 controlled basic drumsequence with a stolen riff played somewhat lazy. This is what the G2 pitchtracker sounds like with my Fender Jazzbass, using the above patch. String muting is everything, so I have to practice again Crying or Very sad

musyG2.mp3
 Description:
just to let you hear the result with my setup. (C) M. Bellamy ;-) (he sure plays it better)

Download
 Filename:  musyG2.mp3
 Filesize:  444.49 KB
 Downloaded:  1374 Time(s)

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess the pitch bends are not possible using the note send modules, as pitch is detected at one timepoint. Jan Punter adviced to use midi cc send modules to transmit the note value and not be restricted by a gate signal. This does seem like a good idea, but the downside would be that the controlled patch would have to be rewired again, to get rid of KBD settings and attach cords to pitch inputs.

.....hi (my first post here), and a new g2 engine user. i've been thinking about this, and i think midi pitchbend is possible. send the note through a note module (as you suggest), but also, in paralell, send the pitch tracked signal to an oscillator...run another oscillator with the quantized control signal (from the midi out module, or another midi out module), invert one of them, and mix them together...wouldn't the differance be the pitchbend ammount? just send that out on the same midi channel as the midi out as pitchbend data. ...or am i crazy? i won't have time to play with this until wed.

deknow
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That’s some good thinking, subtracting a note quantized version of the pitch tracker output from itself to get the pitch bend value. Question Smile
I don’t think anyone has mentioned that there is no midi pitch bend send module as yet Crying or Very sad . Let’s hope it appears in a not too distant update. I would use it a lot I think. It's like a CC send but bipolar and 14bit resolution.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
.....hi (my first post here)

Welcome deknow.

The pitch bend extraction you described is a good idea, this trick was used on the NM Classic as well.

For the Classic there were some quirks though with this (because the note quantizer does not perform a mathematically correct modulo operation) and probably some will apply to the G2 as well (as there are good reasons for the note quantizer to behave as it does).

So it will require some fiddling probably but it for sure was possible on the Classic.

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome, deknow.

Good idea...

As a moderator I edited your post. For some reason, you had "Disable BBCode in thie post" checked, so the color=blue tag didn't work. It's probably more customary to use the "quote" tag for this, but each to his own.

Anyhow, glad to have you here at our forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Experimental
Jump to: