electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
DIY Keyboard project! diykeyboard.org
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
drewm1980

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: DIY Keyboard project! diykeyboard.org
Subject description: diykeyboard.org
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys-

I just thought I'd invite anyone interested in building their own keyboard controller to a new open source hardware project I have started. It seems there is a lot of interest and experience on this forum in signal generation/sound design, and the DIY Keyboard project focuses on controller hardware, so hopefully these communities will complement each other nicely.

diykeyboard.org

Cheers,
Drew Wagner
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check out this one:

The Thomas Henry keyboard
Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like you're wanting a piano style keyboard so pardon me if this is too off-topic:

I'd be interested in a touch keyboard (capacitive) just like the Serge TKB but without the sequencer and quite portable. Voltage, Pulse, Pressure outputs. It would certainly be within the skill set of this community. Schematics (both generic and specific) are on the net and there are no moving parts. One big pcb for the keys, a little one for the electronics.
drewm1980

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Check out this one:

The Thomas Henry keyboard
Very Happy

Hello!

I was about two hours reading through that thread when I noticed you reply. I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

Thanks,
Drew
MusicScienceGuy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a note o say that the DIY music Keyboad community is alive and increasingly active.
If you are interested in alternative (6X6, Janko, jammer, Thummer, C-hru or ?)keyboards, it's a good place to start.
Ken.
jjj

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What MusicScienceGuy suggests is of course the easiest way to go about. The tedious alternative offers my reversible, homemade Janko keyboard modification: http://www.live-styler.de/home/Janko%20Project.pdf

As far I know MusicScienceGuy is going to offer a kit for DIY keyboard modification. At least someone does something affordable to fulfill the demand for alternative keyboards. Good on you, MusicScienceGuy!! Keep up the good work.

I mean any keyboard, which offers us to learn only one pattern of a major and one pattern of a minor scale in order to be able to play all 24 scales, is welcome! (48 with left hand!)
Leave practicing the awkwardly unequal zebra piano layout to professionals... with more time on their hands. Achieve the same with less sweat! Smile
jjj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Notation for JANKO Kbd layout
Subject description: Progress Report

Hi friends,

Finally, after years of up & down... I ended up buying a 2nd hand Tyros3. I have gotten sick of "dreaming up my own instrument"..
My reasoning: it took 20 Yamaha engineers at least 3 years to develop it: (20x3=) i.e. 60 years work for 1 engineer!! - I simply can't match that.

Jeeze, that Tyros3 got truly great sounds. Yet, I still cannot get used to the horribly irregular zebra Kbd layout!!
As you might remember, the Janko Kbd layout, I built onto my old Roland D20 Synth offered me a chance to try out the JANKO layout.
Result: Relearning wasn't that easy as I thought, due to lack of appropriate notation. Without it, invariably fell into the "trap", for I
played it by ear as I would the zebra Kbd.
Now that I enjoy my Tyros3, I'm ready to give JANKO another shot. But before I go for it, I have to get the notation right. The problem is that I don't know how to do it or how/ where I could get the following done:
I would like to alter that (open source) freeware program "Klavar Script" as shown below. The black notes on lines refer to the middle row.
This notation would fit the 3-row Janko layout on my Tyros3.

That way I could import and convert MIDI file and play them. Since there are only 4 lines and 5 note colors to correct, maybe it can be done via a template or other graphic tricks??
Once I got the notation problem solved, I then can convert the Tyros3's zebra Kbd to a 3-row Janko layout.
Hence, my plan is to go for both goodies: the best Kbd layout and the best "wysiwyg" notation!
Playing the accordion taught me that the best solution is a Janko Kbd, "wysiwyg" Klavaskribo type notation and a 120-button accordion bass. It's, because it offers the player to perform just like singing or whistling, who is not hampered by scales & chords at all!
I cannot imagine anything better. I would be very grateful to you for helping me to overcome my solvable problems. I then will work hard to finally make it to success on the keyboard.
Warm Regards, from Joh in Santiago/ Chile

Nueva Notation.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Nueva Notation.bmp
 Filesize:  504.17 KB
 Downloaded:  410 Time(s)

MusicScienceGuy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Notation for JANKO Kbd layout
Subject description: Progress Report

jjj wrote:
due to lack of appropriate notation. Without it, invariably fell into the "trap", for I played it by ear as I would the zebra Kbd.

Jjj, here is a link to a simple way (I think) to mark-up a standard score with just a highlighter pen and a ruler so that it may by played on a janko.

Ken Smile

jjj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for the good advice, Ken.
Klavar Script program offers about the same advantages, plus it can convert MIDI files into Klavarscribo notation. I then would have to go page by page and correct the 5 lines and color of 5 notes.
There might exist a Paint-Shop type of program, allowing me to tailor a template, which whitens out the 2 black lines and adds the missing 3 lines.
I then only have to correct the color of 5 notes in those lines.
That would be helpful in the long run. Do you know of any such program?

Besides, I contacted the author of that Klavar Scribo program, but thus far he failed to reply. I asked him if he could do it and how much it would cost me. Since Klavar Script is an "open source' program, any programmer can adapt it. - Well, I keep on struggling! Smile
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: