electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Safari update patches $10,000 vulnerability
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Safari update patches $10,000 vulnerability Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-25170.html

Sorted!;

MacUser wrote:
Safari update patches $10,000 vulnerability 8:24AM, Thursday 17th April 2008

Apple has released a Safari update, providing improvements to stability and compatibility as well as a number of security fixes.
The most notable among those addresses the vulnerability highlighted in a recent hacking contest. The flaw meant that viewing a maliciously crafted web page could lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. The update addresses this by performing additional validation of JavaScript regular expressions.
Also addressed are vulnerabilities where visiting a malicious website could result in cross-site scripting, unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution or take control the contents of the address bar.
Safari 3.1.1 is available via Software Update or from apple.com/support/downloads and requires a restart. For details of the security issues addressed see About the security content of Safari 3.1.1.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately I did not buy the OSX update, so I no longer get Safari updates, and my Software Update window shows no update available. So now I have a very good reason to use Firefox instead of Safari. Apple has left me with a hackable version of Safari.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Firefox is okay. Seamonkey however is better imo.

However, unlike Safari, neither of the above are Cocoa native and so therefore you will be unable to use Apple services (one of the reasons Mac OS X is so great!)

You may however like to try these following browser apps which are also Cocoa native;

Shira
Demeter
iCab

But be warned, all of the above applications are open to vulnerabilities, and the only way to be sure that you are safe is to upgrade to 10.5.3.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Apple has left me with a hackable version of Safari.

Do you actually know that? Have you asked on the Apple forum to see if this is a Safari issue which also includes previous operating systems?

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Inventor wrote:
Apple has left me with a hackable version of Safari.

Do you actually know that? Have you asked on the Apple forum to see if this is a Safari issue which also includes previous operating systems?

Nah, it just seems unlikely that only the latest version has the flaw. So I should add "probably" or "likely" to that statement, being precise about it.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Unfortunately I did not buy the OSX update, so I no longer get Safari updates, and my Software Update window shows no update available. So now I have a very good reason to use Firefox instead of Safari. Apple has left me with a hackable version of Safari.

But..? Ahh.. you have 10.3.X? Apple is still patching the 10.4.X series.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Do you actually know that?

Nah, it just seems unlikely that only the latest version has the flaw. So I should add "probably" or "likely" to that statement, being precise about it.

Does it? Do you think that there is some big conspiracy out there to get you to buy Leopard and that Tiger owners are basically stuffed?

What really confuses me though is if you really don't like Apple that much, why do you use their products?

I understand that Chuck runs well in Linux. You could easily sell your Mac and buy a PC running Ubuntu. You would even have enough change left over for the bus! Idea

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That Safari patch also involves patching Webkit, the web rendering toolbox in OS X. This means that all applications that rely on WebKit will be affected. Shocked Very Happy Good thinking!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Does it? Do you think that there is some big conspiracy out there to get you to buy Leopard and that Tiger owners are basically stuffed?

That's not a conspiracy; it's entirely normal for companies to stop updating older products. Some of those products may still have bugs. This isn't unusual in the slightest.

Quote:
What really confuses me though is if you really don't like Apple that much, why do you use their products?

There's a difference between "liking" (which Inventor said he did in the other topic) and being concerned about security. I -like many here- used quite a few OS's over the years but never saw one that was "perfect", they all have issues yet in the end you pick one (or two or three....) that suits your needs. Picking one does not mean you are then forbidden to critique aspects of it.

Quote:
I understand that Chuck runs well in Linux. You could easily sell your Mac and buy a PC running Ubuntu. You would even have enough change left over for the bus! Idea

Deep breath, Tom, count to 10... thanks.

Not everybody feels Apple is perfect, nor do they need to.

Right. How about one computer for music (running OSX) and one for browsing (for example that old pc laptop) and slapping Ubuntu on there? As far as we know that's quite safe.

It has more benefits, aside from being able to optimise both it leads to less distractions while making music. Also; ChucK on OSX has some features that aren't yet ported to Linux and that Inventor makes extensive use of.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sigh Rolling Eyes here we go again.

Kassen wrote:

Deep breath, Tom, count to 10... thanks.

Don't patronise me Kassen.

Kassen wrote:

Not everybody feels Apple is perfect, nor do they need to.

I never said Apple was perfect.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Don't patronise me Kassen.

You do realise you just suggested Inventor"sell his Mac" on account of "not liking Apple that much" after he thought there might "probably" still be a "flaw" in the browser? Do you suppose that acting that childish might have something to do with being treated as one?

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="v-un-v"]
Inventor wrote:

Well, I really do enjoy my Mac very much. My good times with Apple began in the late 80's in college when I built the world's first Hackintosh SE and published articles on it in Computer Shopper magazine. It had a PC power supply, a huge 14" PC monitor, and a wooden case with floppy disk cutout and everything (made of 1x4's). Those were fun days. I had the world's first external monitor product as a result of this and tested some models at the university computing center, but I had no business skills to take the prototypes into production (and still don't).

Which is why I was so excited to return to Apple three years ago, and also why I've recently become so disheartened at their profiteering moves. It's easy to see no problem with Apple's tactics if you have enough money to keep buying their toys and software upgrades, then you really don't notice $129 every two years. For me, however, things have been tight and while I could have let Apple drain my account I chose not to make the sacrifice in the name of their bottom line. Now I seem to be a second-class citizen in Apple's eyes, not worthy of a security update or any new software either.

I still enjoy my Mac immensely and I wouldn't trade it for a brand new Windows machine, but at this point Ubuntu is looking quite appealing to me. Once those advanced features of ChucK that Kassen mentions get ported to Ubuntu, I will be able to run my stuff on a free OS and not be subject to the taxes of the overlord.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
the world's first Hackintosh SE

Pictures!

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Inventor wrote:
the world's first Hackintosh SE

Pictures!

Oh gosh, I wish I had some pictures! I don't even have the old articles or any of the hardware anymore. I remember it was a big, heavy white pine case held together by angle straps and wood screws, with a removable lid. The 14" monitor was amber in color, and I had to modify the horizontal scan rate of the monitor by putting a bunch of 0.1 uF caps in parallel on the board. Also there was a custom wiring harness to the SE motherboard and a little board with an inverter on it to invert the video. It had an apple mouse and a third-party keyboard.

My friend and I wanted to go into business selling the monitors, which we called the "Macnifier". We tested it in the computer science lab which was sunny and the cheap monitors got bleached out in the sun - there was nothing I could do about that. Also there was the problem of "blooming" which is change in screen size as a function of brightness. I ended up running up my credit card buying and modifying monitors, getting into credit trouble, and shocking myself a few times with 15 kV!

Since then I have invented many things, but never made much money off of them. At least there are a few patents and a small annual royalty from one of them. Maybe the stupid FDA will approve that product and then my stock will be worth something, but until then I'm in the poor house. My advice: inventing is a nice hobby but I wouldn't try to make a living at it. Still, good memories are nice to have!

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.... At least it's a really good story.... In my mind's eye it looks great... though admittedly it doesn't look like something I'd actually buy, there, I fear.

:¬)

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: