electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Symbolic Sound Kyma Patches
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Filament

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Symbolic Sound Kyma Patches
Subject description: Having a hard time learning. Help
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got a basic kyma system a couple of months ago, thinking it was going to be the only thing i needed for 'idm, glitch stuff'. To be honest I have worked my way through the first half of the manual and taken in a bit, but there is still a lot that I can't get my head around, and a lot of jargon that I do not understand. The learning curve is very high. I knew it was going to be hard, but it is a little tougher than I thought. The thing is I do not know much about synthesis. Perhaps a good synthesis book would be worth reading. Any good recommendations anyone?

Little things like putting in an lfo to control a parameter etc are puzzling me.

Has anyone got any kyma patches that they would care to share with me, to give me some ideas as to what others are doing.

Better still is there anyone in the Bristol or Bath (UK) area that would care to share any of their knowledge.

I think I was perhaps looking for a bit more instant gratification than the Kyma system provides and it is taking me much too long a time to get any good results.

The user patch archive on the symbolic sound site is not being added to much by its users and the forum isn't used much these days either.

Thanks for listening. I'll keep persevering, but I am losing interest fast. Can anyone please persuade me to hang on in there.

Best Regards.
lebenspuls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Symbolic Sound Kyma Patches
Subject description: Having a hard time learning. Help
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

did you get your Kyma second hand? I never found an easier and better introduction than the "Kyma X Revealed" book by Carla Scaletti. After working through the Kyma X Revealed book I find most of the stuff I want to do self-explaining (unlike MAx/MSP f.e. which still puzzles me a lot!); also the Kyma-forum is very helpful!

I even learned the basics of programming from it. What patches do you need beside the hundreds of example-patches in the sound-library? I am not a Pro at all but I never regretted to buy my Kyma system as it opened the way into deeper sound-design for me. Perhaps have a deeper look into the "Kyma X revealed" book and realy work through the tutorials.
Don't give up!!
Best wishes

Pieter
Filament

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Pieter
I bought the system new a couple of months ago. I had a look through the kyma forum, but it seems everyone knows what they are talking about. I don't want to appear stupid by asking my trivial questions. I don't know much about mathematics or synthesis you see.

Perhaps I'm just too impatient. I did all the tutorials from the Kyma X revealed book, but some of it went over my head. I understand some of it, but things copying and pasting modulators like lfos etc. to the parameter fields is what is baffling me.

The second half of the book is out of the question as I read a couple of pages and I was lost and wouldn't know where to start programming with capytalk/smalltalk.

I shall go through the tutorials in the book again from start to finish I think. It can't hurt.

I am interested in spectral synthesis and harmonics, but I am not sure how to control it. A few more examples would be helpful to see how others are using spectral synthesis.
Regards,

Miles
lebenspuls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Miles,
I hope you didn't understand my reply as "you should know it all".
Please feel free to ask. I try my best.
Are you aware that in order to do spectral synthesis you have to build first a spectral analysis file. Not something I would start with. I would study part 2 "sound design and creation" realy deep; become familiar with the vocabulary.
If you like you can also email me your questions privately.
Filament

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lebenspuls wrote:
Hi Miles,
I hope you didn't understand my reply as "you should know it all".
Please feel free to ask. I try my best.
Are you aware that in order to do spectral synthesis you have to build first a spectral analysis file. Not something I would start with. I would study part 2 "sound design and creation" realy deep; become familiar with the vocabulary.
If you like you can also email me your questions privately.

Hi Pieter,
No not at all.

I,m going to read through the manual again and study part 2 "sound design and creation" as you suggest. I really should give this a chance.

Thanks for your advice. I'll give the kyma forum a go as well as the symbolic sound team seem to answer most questions in depth.

Regards,

Miles
taylor12k

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi miles

first of all.. welcome to Kyma... it's a learning curve.. but you'll do nothing but learn more and more!

first of all.. do not be afraid at all to post "newbie" questions to the forum or tweaky... i've yet to encounter a kyma user who has a know-it-all attitude.. you will get help very fast.. and likely from symbolic sound themselves.

second.. controlling parameters is really easy.. there are a number of ways to do it.

the BLUE files in any given module's parameter screen can all be controlled. you can do so by typing or pasting in an "expression" (those mathematical phrases that are so powerful)

but what might interest you the most is this:

simply go to your Prototypes window.. and find, say, an LFO (under "envelopes and control signals").. select it and hit COPY.. then go to the parameter you want that LFO to control, put your cursor in the blue field, and hit PASTE.

then, double click the "background" of the kyma patch.. any blank area. what that does is update the screen to show a new module you pasted in (if you drag a module into the signal path it updates automatically.. if you paste one in you need to update the screen by clicking the background)

viola.. your LFO is now routed into that parameter!

likewise, you can go into any blue parameter field and type:

"!AnyName"

(without the quotes)

the exclamation point in front of any word automatically makes a parameter slider in the VCS for that parameter. you can then edit the slider in the VCS to constrain or define its signal.

hope that helps..
bphenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To follow-up on Taylor, please don't be afraid to ask questions in the forum. Everyone is happy to help.

As for traffic on the Wiki or the forum, it ebbs and flows. Lately it has been on the up tick. Personally I find the forum better for conversation than the Wiki.

I think there is this fear that you hit on well, that people are afraid to contribute due to a sense that others may look down on it. That is far from the truth in my experience. Everyone has always been helpful and supportive. Personally, I love seeing fully formed sounds and peoples creations. New DSP code is handy and all but crazy processing networks are far more inspiring.

I have contributed a fair number of the sounds on the tweaky. Mostly basic synth and effects stuff. I never really posted the weirder glitch stuff as I often wondered if anyone really would find it useful / interesting as well. I also haven't posted anything new in a long time mostly because I took a 2+ year break from all things music. However, if you have any questions about the sounds or would like to ask questions please feel free to email or IM me.
taylor12k

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i second (or third?, or re-second) the notion that the Kyma community is nothing but helpful and respectful ... towards all levels of expertise, from total beginner to more advanced.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bphenix wrote:
I never really posted the weirder glitch stuff as I often wondered if anyone really would find it useful / interesting as well.

I would.

Cheers

Andy
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Jump to: