electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
LCD matrix pushbuttons! funtime!
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
MathHat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: LCD matrix pushbuttons! funtime!
Subject description: wanted: tech specs, opinions, project ideas
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hee hee, this was in MIDI interfaces previously, now where it should be:

I am very very interested in these little beauties and want to know if anyone has any further info on them, as I haven't been able to find their spec sheets. General comments are also welcome. I don't yet have a clue how I'll use them, but it's bound to be interesting. I'm a little concerned about how many pins they'll need to be fully functional, though.

Please note that I don't have much experience in hardware.

EDIT: Found some more: http://www.nkksmartswitch.com/ and http://www.4most.co.uk/assets/File/sunmulon-lcd-new.pdf . Yay, spec sheets! Looks like they are a bit pin-hungry.

BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something like this perhaps.
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8493
36x24 RGB LED display on a pushbutton for $50.
MathHat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I have a crazy idea: a big (4x4, 4x8, 8x8), programmable matrix of these LCD buttons, similar to a monome device that I can use for everything from MIDI apps to funky games. (funky MIDI games?) The only problem is that each button has 5~7 control pins in addition to the switch itself, leaving hundreds of pins to deal with. So, I thought, "Oo, muxes! They'll solve all my problems," but they also create a few more.

Let's start from the worst case, which would produce the most awesome result if I can pull it off: an 8x8 matrix of buttons with RGB backlighting. If I use a Wiring board or similar for the logic, then it's theoretically possible to control all of the displays and scan all of the switches using 24 pins, four 16-to-1 muxes, and 32 (count 'em) 4-to-16 decoders. Considering that each unit would use about 400 mW, I would be adding close to 15 W of power consumption. There's also the matter of the ridiculous wiring job I'd need to make (but maybe just on a PCB and thus manageably ridiculous).

Is this just silly, or does it sound interesting? Is there a better way of doing what I want to do?

EDIT: Wait, woah, $50 a key? Maybe I should reconsider my options...

EDIT: Oo, but that one just has two control pins...oh, the dilemma! Maybe I can compromise.

Last edited by MathHat on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MathHat wrote:
EDIT: Wait, woah, $50 a key? Maybe I should reconsider my options..

I was just about to write something like that Wink there is a cheaper alternative ... an ordinary LCD screen with a touch interface over it ... not as cool though ...

There is another drawback, when you really want to play video on the buttons, and you'll want that of course Laughing you'll need a bit of real processing power.

MathHat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
MathHat wrote:
EDIT: Wait, woah, $50 a key? Maybe I should reconsider my options..

I was just about to write something like that Wink there is a cheaper alternative ... an ordinary LCD screen with a touch interface over it ... not as cool though ...

Yeah, it's not really the same, or very original...

Quote:
There is another drawback, when you really want to play video on the buttons, and you'll want that of course Laughing you'll need a bit of real processing power.

Actually, that had never crossed my mind. I can see a lot of potential without needing an amazing frame rate. Besides, these aren't full-color, like the OLED keys on the Optimus Maximus, they just have seven possible backlighting colors.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OT... but you´ll love it!

Pay attention to what this guy is doing on the LED button matrix!

I´ll tell you where to buy one of those secondhand if you give me both your kidneys. Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MathHat wrote:
Actually, that had never crossed my mind.

Not Shocked

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okdokey.. and no kidneys today.. Shocked

Back to the drawing board

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
MathHat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, so it was a silly idea. I've decided to get a monome kit and see where that takes me. It's probably for the best, because I really have quite little experience with electronics, regardless of the fact that computer engineering is my major. Thanks for the comments.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MathHat wrote:
OK, so it was a silly idea.

Didn't mean to say that ... I like 'm ... but they are outrageously expensive ... maybe not for medical nuclear military markets or something.

Stein would have good use for the kidneys BTW.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

Stein would have good use for the kidneys BTW.

Sure, but those are notoriously incompatible. Did you read the data-sheet? There's some serious voodoo in the serial numbers there.

Blah, I intended that as being funny :¬(

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
MathHat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just realized that the monome is stupidly simple compared to what I was planning, and I could save a few Benjamins by building one from scratch, let alone the fact that I'd be able to program the device itself rather than control through OSC. Probably not a bad first DIY project. Very Happy Maybe the fancy buttons will be cheaper when I'm ready for them.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this http://www.euphonix.com/pro/post/products/mc/mc_guidedtour/mc04_surface.htm uses smartswitches, nice thing to have!
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

same idea but with a touch screen. http://www.euphonix.com/artist/products/mc_control/ my current lust item.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: