electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
M185 sequencer Project - NEW PCB VERSION
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 27 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
nerdware

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ryktnk wrote:
Sorry for the confusion.

No problem!

Quote:
The portamento switch option, could be installed on any OS version, as it just takes a signal from the POTS bus to some Portamento switches.

Aha! I really should check the docs for V2.0. Smile

Quote:
The V2.1 OS has a software programmable portamento, so can be used without Portamento switches.

As I have, or will soon have, a panel with holes for the switches, I may use the switches anyway. Thanks!

Quote:
Hope that helps

It does. Thanks! Very Happy

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, thanks, that does clarify things. I figured that was the answer. After looking at the port daughterboards, I couldn't see any reason the switches wouldn't work with V2.1
nerdware

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My panel came today!

The switches I got with the PCB and PIC fit perfectly, but I now need to source all the other panel components. None of the LEDs, push buttons, or 2-position toggle switches I have already fit the holes. Laughing Nevermind, that's all part of DIY. Smile

Thanks, everyone!

oozitron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am going to connect both the CV slider and the portamento switch to the "POT" connection(s) on the PCB. Would problems result if I was to connect an additional CV pot/slider so I could have *two* variable CVs for each step? (one for pitch, one for the VCF)

Drew, really wanting to get this beast done Smile
julian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nerdware wrote:
My panel came today!

The switches I got with the PCB and PIC fit perfectly

Of course they do : ) That was one of the things that i did not like about the .fpd file that was floating about. Im not suggesting that you do, but, if you were to read back through the thread, youll notice that i aqquired some cutters especially to optomise the slide switch holes, to make the panel as neat as possible.

nerdware wrote:
...but I now need to source all the other panel components. None of the LEDs, push buttons, or 2-position toggle switches I have already fit the holes. Laughing Nevermind, that's all part of DIY. Smile

The LED holes should be cut for 3mm leds to push into tightly. Or you can drill to 5mm, using the 3mm hole as a pilot.

The pots holes are cut for ALPHA Tiwan pots (as used on most of the eurorack systems) but, again, can be opened up for other pots. If youre in the UK (which, of course, you are) then Rapid sell them cheaply. Mouser carries them in the states, as do many others.

The switch holes are cut for SCI push button. A brand that i hoped woud, again, be availible world wide. The part number is listed somewhere in this thread. Again, Rapid, and loads of other distributors will sell you these.

The panels were designed and cut with both attention to layout and with ease of sourcing components in mind : )

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://www.thebeast.co.uk/cnc/

julian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ps.

It looks like i got further than i thought with the rotary switch panel layout, so, if anyone is keen on these, if they want to let me know, ill see if i cant finish off the panel.

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://www.thebeast.co.uk/cnc/

nerdware

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

julian wrote:
The LED holes should be cut for 3mm leds to push into tightly. Or you can drill to 5mm, using the 3mm hole as a pilot.

Thanks for the size info. It confirms that I have 5mm LEDs and I need 3mm. That'll help.

Quote:
The pots holes are cut for ALPHA Tiwan pots (as used on most of the eurorack systems) but, again, can be opened up for other pots. If youre in the UK (which, of course, you are) then Rapid sell them cheaply. Mouser carries them in the states, as do many others.

I tried the 16mm BI Alphas I have for another project, and the threaded part of the shaft doesn't quite fit. Maybe my dad can fix that.

Quote:
The switch holes are cut for SCI push button. A brand that i hoped woud, again, be availible world wide. The part number is listed somewhere in this thread. Again, Rapid, and loads of other distributors will sell you these.

Again, thanks. That's very helpful.

Quote:
The panels were designed and cut with both attention to layout and with ease of sourcing components in mind : )

Thanks. Very Happy

ryktnk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oozitron wrote:
I am going to connect both the CV slider and the portamento switch to the "POT" connection(s) on the PCB. Would problems result if I was to connect an additional CV pot/slider so I could have *two* variable CVs for each step? (one for pitch, one for the VCF)

Drew, really wanting to get this beast done Smile

Hello

Sorry,it is not so easy to add a 2nd CV without an additional output stage.
Thisconsists of the S&H, and omp-amp buffer circuit of T15 and IC4.

-ryk
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dunno...is this a crazy idea for a dual M-185?

Each of the stage CVs is a Push/Pull switching potentiometer and instead of SP8T rotary switches, it's using these tiny little DP4T rotaries. The with the CV pot switch pushed in, it sets the 4 positions to only the even numbers of pulses per stage and pulled out to the odd ones....so, when one's pushed in the Stage Count Control can only select 2, 4, 6 or 8 pulses per stage. Pulled out, only 1, 3, 5 and 7 pulses are available.

I've got enough sliding switches for like 1.5 modules, but I want to do a 19" wide, 3U high, dual sequencer (with 1/4" jacks)...and the switches are impossible to find. I don't like the idea of just using pots for the Stage Count Control or Gate Mode functions, and all the SP8T rotary switches I've seen are way too big or way too expensive.

Oh...these also use 2 Barton Music Circuits Simple Quantizers with custom scales on them. You can see them in the bottom right of each sequencer. The CV out automatically goes through the quantizer. You can turn quantization off, but you can't use it for other modules as there is no CV In (and I don't have panel space for adding it).

MSynths_M185_Seq_3U_Rotary.png.png
 Description:
M.Synths Dual M-185 Sequencer
 Filesize:  112.61 KB
 Viewed:  369 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

MSynths_M185_Seq_3U_Rotary.png.png

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well....did some measurements and took a second look at the FPD and I think I can actually fit the larger SP8T switches in place of the DP4T Stage Count Control switches. It's a tight fit on the back panel, but doable. That will also free up some vertical space and will allow me to add text to the Stage Count Control (I'm just calling it # Pulses) and Gate Mode functions, as well as using the DPDT pot switches to turn on/off portamento.
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...and here's the updated design using SP8T rotary switches and DPDT pot switches for the portamento function.

MSynths_M185_Seq_3U_LrgRotary.png.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.67 KB
 Viewed:  321 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

MSynths_M185_Seq_3U_LrgRotary.png.png

patchdub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

julian wrote:
ps.

It looks like i got further than i thought with the rotary switch panel layout, so, if anyone is keen on these, if they want to let me know, ill see if i cant finish off the panel.

i would love to get a rotary panel if you get one done.

i have a version 2 board.

dnigrin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a quick note to be sure that those following this thread also saw my post about my software recreation of Ryk's awesome sequencer:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-46930.html

Many thanks to Ryk who helped guide me through its creation, testing, etc..!

Dan

oozitron

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry (deleted)
Last edited by oozitron on Sat May 07, 2011 4:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have a lot of experience building/debugging...so aside from making sure that the power is connected correctly, and that all the ICs are seated in the correct direction...dunno. Hopefully someone will chime in with real advice Wink
oozitron

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry (deleted)
Last edited by oozitron on Sat May 07, 2011 4:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should probably ask in a different thread. Start another one. I'm pretty sure you don't mean to hijack this thread - that sort of thing is frowned upon.

Edit - Oozitron, I wasn't referring to your posts. Actually, now that the off-topic post has been removed, my post (this one) can be removed too...?

Last edited by sduck on Sun May 08, 2011 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And it is a duplicate post too .. which is frowned upon as well ... will delete it.
modularplanner

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just trying to debug my build here. This thing was more confusing than the Klee I built to wire up Very Happy

CV output is working fine.
Sequencer is running.
Start/Stop doesnt work, always 5V on IC3 pin 1, D4 is correct orientation.
Reset works
next/prev works.
Gate Mode is acting odd. If Stage 1 is set to Gate Off it still plays, the rest of the Stages work ok on this setting.
Step Count seems to be repeating for the correct amount of time but doesnt seem to be sending the actual Gate outputs to my ADSR Gate In. it only sends the first gate of the stage. I have set the Mode to position2 [multiple gate]. E.g if I set the stage count to 3 it will just send a continuous high gate for the duration. IC2 is a HCF4069UBE

Only thing I know for sure I've ballsed up is the LED ground, I didnt connect the cathode to the LED GND but instead the regular ground. So i know the LED is not dimming for the extra gates per stage.

What should I be checking to fix the step counts?

oozitron

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aren't the HCF chips the +/- 5v versions of the regular (+/- 15v) chips?

Don't know what voltage is sent to that chip... might want to check (?)

Drew
modularplanner

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edit: Fixed it, stupid moron wiring issue Embarassed wired the stage one mode "ground" wire to MD, didnt even have an MD cable Shocked . All working now, awesome sequencer Ryk

I'm getting 5V on pin 14 of the 4069

comparing the datasheets of HCF4069UB and CD4069UB I cant see any differences apart from the HCF version being listed as "intermediate temperature range".

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Watching this thread is both anxiety causing and elating.

Anxiety causing because of the people posting build difficulties, and making statements like: "This thing was more confusing than the Klee I built to wire up!"

Hideing

I've avoided even looking at the Klee sequencer threads because it seems like a huge project (but a cool one).

Elating, though, because it almost always seems like the problems turn out to be wiring issues. And the inevitable "it's working!" posts also confirm these are great sequencers.

I'm slowly getting my boards all stuffed. Have a few more components on the way, then it'll only be a matter of ordering the panel and having the time to work on it. Confused

modularplanner

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's worth effort, I only think the Klee was easier because it was so well documented for newbie builders like myself. This was the first time I had to interpret a wiring diagram. It's not "that" bad, I think it was worst for me because I built the whole thing into a 42HP eurorack blank, very tight for space.

If you need picture of the wiring just let me know, my work is a right mess but it might help someone Laughing

The only thing I need to fix at the moment is the start/stop not stopping when pressed, that's not too bad because I use an external clock source most of the time anyway.

whomper

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you ever get the play feature to stop upon pressing the button, do let me know. It is the last thing that is still left to do for me for my two sequencers. Haven't gotten around to fix it although have tried...

Great sequencers! Wished they had the ability to extend one another to get 16 steps.

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whomper wrote:
...Wished they had the ability to extend one another to get 16 steps.

Yeah, that would make them totally awesome, especially since I'm doing 2 into one panel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 27 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: